Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Educator of the Year

• Start Topic

I wonder if Janine got her there by calling and saying it was an emergency-- the mom might have thought something happened TO her kid, rather than that it was an on-going problem caused BY her kid.

Edited by possibilities
typo
  • Useful 2
On 4/21/2023 at 12:12 PM, nanners84 said:

I was also disappointed in Barbara for poo-poo-ing the continuing education requirements.  I’m not familiar with what’s mandatory for maintaining licensure and keeping your job, and plenty of CEs are a waste of time but some are really vital in adapting to the times or adapting your lens and approaches to meet students needs and set them up for success.   

I think both Barbara and Melissa can be know-it-alls. They are good with kids but they don't think they can learn anything from someone younger than them.

• Like 3
On 4/12/2023 at 4:21 PM, Ilovepie said:

She needed to tell the parent what future consequences look like for that kid if the behavior continues rather than just reiterating that they are a "team" multiple times....

Janine didn't get a chance to reiterate anything. She barely got to finish a sentence.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2023 at 1:37 AM, kathyk24 said:

I think both Barbara and Melissa can be know-it-alls. They are good with kids but they don't think they can learn anything from someone younger than them.

In their defense, continuing education is essential when it’s actually done well, but my last trauma informed care seminar spent the entire time defining TIC, and explaining why it’s necessary, which everyone in attendance was familiar with, but over shot the mark in explaining and never taught us how to put it into practice. 
A sadly common experience with CE. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
On 4/23/2023 at 3:27 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

Janine didn't get a chance to reiterate anything. She barely got to finish a sentence.

I see it a little differently. The woman was already defensive when she walked in. Janine spent more than one sentence trying to establish a rapport that was never going to happen. It really needed to be "I know you are busy and so I don't want to take up too much of your valuable time. Your son is doing XYZ, and the behavior is escalating. This is a safety issue for other students, and so for that reason we need to do XYZ". She came across as weak and left too much power in the parent's hands. I realize this isn't Janine's style, but hopefully she can learn from this experience sometimes you have to be tougher because I'm sure this will not be the last conversation that goes that way.

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 4/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

In their defense, continuing education is essential when it’s actually done well, but my last trauma informed care seminar spent the entire time defining TIC, and explaining why it’s necessary, which everyone in attendance was familiar with, but over shot the mark in explaining and never taught us how to put it into practice. 
A sadly common experience with CE. 

Agree, you always need to learn something new and use it in practice. After all, education is needed, first of all, for practical purposes and everyday life.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 4/24/2023 at 8:58 PM, Ilovepie said:

I see it a little differently. The woman was already defensive when she walked in. Janine spent more than one sentence trying to establish a rapport that was never going to happen. It really needed to be "I know you are busy and so I don't want to take up too much of your valuable time. Your son is doing XYZ, and the behavior is escalating. This is a safety issue for other students, and so for that reason we need to do XYZ". She came across as weak and left too much power in the parent's hands. I realize this isn't Janine's style, but hopefully she can learn from this experience sometimes you have to be tougher because I'm sure this will not be the last conversation that goes that way.

But in the end it's just my guess. All the same, the series does not scatter much with the book, and I have not yet read it to the end to give a final opinion, because I do not have time because of my college studies. By the way, if someone like me needs help, please contact https://edusson.com/write-my-literature-review, this is an excellent service for write lit review. Last month, when I didn't even have time to start reading the book on assignment, these guys really helped me out. They sent me my paper on time, and it took me a few readings to successfully defend it. I was so pleased!

Yeah, I had the exact same thought!

Edited by SaraL
  • Like 4