Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Ni Weh Sesh (I Have No Heart)

• Start Topic

This episode seemed to drag, but then a lot of stuff happened at once.  This episode explains why Mal didn't die from all of his improbable wounds from last season and how he can hear frequencies of supernatural beings.  I'm surprised no one else questioned his abilities before.

If Kirigin can create a Cut that can destroy a camp and the ground it's on, why does he need the other Grisha to help him?  They just seem to be needed so that there are extras running around in the background.

Just how many immortal beings are walking around?!  I thought Alina and Kirigin were unique because of their abilities.

9 hours ago, peridot said:

Just how many immortal beings are walking around?!  I thought Alina and Kirigin were unique because of their abilities.

I saw Bardugo in an interview at the premiere and she mentioned that the writers had done something interesting with 'The Lives of Saints'. They picked the legend of Sankta Neyar to give the Crows a side-quest (you can read it in the Amazon preview) by letting Neyar live long enough to still be around. AFAIK it could be possible that more of the Saints still hang around. To be honest I always found that part of the Grishaverse confusing.

• Useful 1
On 3/19/2023 at 10:15 AM, MissLucas said:

I saw Bardugo in an interview at the premiere and she mentioned that the writers had done something interesting with 'The Lives of Saints'. They picked the legend of Sankta Neyar to give the Crows a side-quest (you can read it in the Amazon preview) by letting Neyar live long enough to still be around. AFAIK it could be possible that more of the Saints still hang around. To be honest I always found that part of the Grishaverse confusing.

I was just going to ask if the whole thing with Neyar/the sword was from one of Leigh Bardugo's ancillary stories, so thanks for that. I too thought that only Sun/Shadow Summoners were that long-lived, but I suppose any Grisha powerful enough to achieve sainthood might be exceptions to the usual rules.

I liked Neyar's story, as well as the montage during her final speech that showed just how relevant it was for so many of the characters. For Alina/Mal/Kirigan, it offers a different blueprint for Alina of an immortal Grisha, that she doesn't have to be doomed to follow Kirigan's path, and that being with her non-immortal love for as long as he's alive will be painful in the end but still worth it. For Kaz/Inej and Jesper/Wylan, it's about not being so guarded that you shut yourself off from the possibility of something beautiful in your life. Her sword was also really cool, and I love that she would only give it to Jesper.

I thought it was interesting that the hallucination scenes were so varied, with Kaz and Tolya having nightmares grounded in guilt/fear while Inej dreamed about being with Kaz and Jesper saw his mother again. All of Jesper's scenes were really lovely, and it was really effective to have Inej be the one to wake up because she realized it wasn't real. And kudos to Wylan for saving the day!

Okay, I feel compelled to remind Alina that, with her first two amplifiers, she's been wondering if there's a way to take their power without killing them. She got the Stag's power despite Kirigan being the one to kill it, and she planned on trying to leave the Sea Whip alive, only killing it when it wouldn't stop attacking Nikolai's crew. If ever there was a time to test her theory, it'd be with her mystical-amplifier boyfriend who she really don't want to kill and who's highly motivated to figure out a way to give her his power.

I found it intriguing that Kirigan didn't intentionally kill Baghra. Rather, as she was gearing up to fight him, his shadow monsters came out and he was unable to stop them, with one physically holding him back while the other killed Baghra. God, Ben Barnes is so good at playing every aspect of the Darkling. His creepiness, his rage, his panic, his pain, his grim determination--the show is lucky to have him.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

Why are shadow mum's bones amplifiers all of a sudden?

A couple things there. 1) Morozova created the Stag/Sea Whip/"Fire Bird" (a.k.a. Baghra's sister) by resurrecting them with his own finger bones, which turned them into amplifiers. So, we know it's been done before, and since Baghra is Morozova's daughter, she'd be a likely candidate for being able to do it again. 2) Both she and Kirigan can already amplify a Grisha's abilities just by touching them (I suppose being from Morozova's line could by the reason they're able to do that in the first place,) so it stands to reason that their bones might provide someone with more permanent amplification.

• Like 3
On 3/24/2023 at 5:47 AM, angora said:

A couple things there. 1) Morozova created the Stag/Sea Whip/"Fire Bird" (a.k.a. Baghra's sister) by resurrecting them with his own finger bones, which turned them into amplifiers. So, we know it's been done before, and since Baghra is Morozova's daughter, she'd be a likely candidate for being able to do it again. 2) Both she and Kirigan can already amplify a Grisha's abilities just by touching them (I suppose being from Morozova's line could by the reason they're able to do that in the first place,) so it stands to reason that their bones might provide someone with more permanent amplification.

Makes some sense, I guess. Pretty dumb from a world building perspective, but okay....

Thanks for the answer.

• Like 1