Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Day Ones

jewel21
  • Start Topic

As Olivia struggles with the loss of her father, friends and family must set aside their grief to help as she fights to stay sober…but only one person can help her find peace in the midst of her pain.

Airdate: 03/13/2023

He called him son and it triggered the loss of his 2 dads. He's been not dealing with it, so I guess this sets him up as next since Olivia is now ok.

I liked the viilage and tag teaming of Liv.

• Like 2

Coach Kenny seemed to understand (as much as he could) why Spencer was acting like that since he didn't really react at all.  Spencer obviously can't transfer too far away (and likely won't at all), but I wonder how long this will go on for.  I have no idea how many episodes they have left, but I think it's still going until May since it's not ending when the spinoff does.  I'm glad that Olivia reached out to everyone and knew she needed help.

Even though it was painful, I'm glad they finally explained what happened with Billy's death.  I thought maybe they wouldn't because it would be too expensive to have stunts and all that, but of course they worked around that by just filming what happened inside the bus.  I hope that Jabari will get help to deal with the trauma.

I hope that Jaymee or the baby won't end up dying after they had Asher worrying so much, but by the time she is due they might think it's time for another character death, so who knows? 

It was funny that Jordan and Layla forgot that some (most?) of the group didn't know they were a couple.  It was hard to keep track of who knew, and I think Olivia only knew from seeing them hold hands at the service.  I like that no one really cared, because that part of the plot was very stupid and went on forever.

• Like 2

We can't be having too many more organic and real conversations between Olivia and Spence.  Takes all the draaaaaama over their relationship.  Nice to see Spence expressing the obvious about GAU and just how bad things are for that program.  No chance he would stay, especially once he starts getting NIL offers when he declares for the portal.

Very nice scene with Jabari and Laura.  

I liked the flashback with young Olivia playing with her doll and explaining how her daddy was basically perfect.  If only.

The advice from Olivia's sponsor was contrary to what the vast majority of AA folks would offer.  When a newly-sober drunk is in crisis, all that matters is getting through the crisis.  Taking on additional goals or tasks (like going deeper into causation) only adds to the confusion/chaos.  In due time, Olivia would absolutely have to look at such.  But, if she was struggling as mightily as the show portrayed, it would be all about that minute and not about a potential breakthrough.  Did Simon & Garfunkel get a royalty with all the talk about silence?  I know Taye made out like a bandit getting paid for this ep.  

Wait.  Coop has schooling to get to?  When did this happen?

Loved the attitude of the OBGYN who ordered Asher to stop looking for trouble.  But, again, we can't have that if the show loses an anvil. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Even though it was painful, I'm glad they finally explained what happened with Billy's death.

So it looked like Billy had plenty of time to get off the bus! Like what the heck. He was taken his damn time with all those pensive, smiley pauses. 

7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Wait.  Coop has schooling to get to?  When did this happen?

She got into that class with the lawyer professor person a few episodes back. She flubbed the first interview and then when back and convinced him he needed people like her cause she has a different perspective. 

Spencer has been acting like a dick since before Billy died. 

Also, why is Grace ALWAYS in town. Did she only move like 2 miles away?

• Like 2

I literally just now found out that some time in the past Patience IRL had a baby.  I had no idea!

Speaking of Patience, why on earth was she not part of the village?  Not even a throwaway mention that she was on tour or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, luckyroll3 said:

So it looked like Billy had plenty of time to get off the bus!

I tried to suspend disbelief because of course Taye wanted to leave, and I suppose Billy was trying to put on a calm facade to keep Jabari from panicking so he could make sure he made it, but Billy definitely could have just JUMPED once Jabari was safe instead of asking him to tell his family he loved them.  If they had shown this scene in the episode where he died (before we knew he didn't make it), I would have been yelling at him.  If he had slipped and fallen back because of the bus rocking it would have looked less stupid than standing right at the door doing nothing.

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I literally just now found out that some time in the past Patience IRL had a baby.

I can't even keep track of which season that was, just that it was one of the times Patience was away on tour.  That was before she was gone from like every other episode like she is now.  I guess they figured that people are used to half the characters being gone (though yes, Grace is sure around a lot for having moved to Oakland.  Maybe she is helping Laura, but why not check on Spencer?) so they don't bother to explain.  Though it's probably a good thing that J.J. didn't somehow get an accidental text from Olivia and show up given his current condition.

• Like 2