Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: The Scepter

Trini
  • Start Topic

With time running out, Nicky is forced to confront Bo to get information on Xiao's whereabouts before it's too late. Mei-Li clashes with Carrie at Harmony Dumplings, and Jin makes a surprising decision that could affect the outcome of the election.

David Grossman directed the episode written by Angela Trevino.

Airdate: 2/22/2023

KF311fg_0013r.jpg?ssl=1

KF311fg_0005r.jpg?ssl=1

This one weirdly felt like a finale even though there are two episodes left. I mean - Mei Li giving up the restaurant(!!!), Ryan buying the truck for Sebastian, Jin winning the election, Althea getting a job offer from the NSA(!), and the return of Bo and Mia. Just a lot happening here!

Just me, or was the magic stuff extra confusing? I don't think there was a clear explanation about what Xiao was up to. The main things I got was that she wants to 'cleanse' the bloodline (whatever that means) and she kidnapped Henry. Which might be good for him since he's had barely anything to do lately besides exposition.

Aw, I missed Mei Li and Sebastian scenes. I don't know if I like this plot twist of Mei Li selling the family restaurant. It's a huge change, and it was one of the main storylines.

Zhilan and Henry makes a hilariously snarky duo!

I thought maybe there would be more progress getting Nicky and Henry back together by now, but Bo seemed to make a strong case; so the triangle is still in play (*sigh*), and now I'm actually not sure if they want Nicky with Henry.

Wasn't sure if we'd ever see Mia again (not that I missed her), even while they were mentioning her, so I was a bit surprised that she had a few scenes.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't know if I like this plot twist of Mei Li selling the family restaurant. It's a huge change, and it was one of the main storylines.

Now she can help finance vigilante activity...

Zhilan: "It will be too long for the post office for get a message to the monastery in time!  It would be much quicker to book a flight to China and zip over there!"

Me:  "Really?!"

That and the idea of Althea not knowing what the NSA is were definitely the most far-fetch moments here (yeah, even the wonky magic stuff is more believable, heh.)

More returning players, as both Bo and Mia come back into the picture.  Actually kind of impressed that Bo still looks like totally crap after the beatdown, because while it is only been a few days, wounds like that usually heal quickly in television land, so that was a slightly fresh bit of realism there.  Not surprised he seems to regret what he did and while I don't think he and Nicky will go back to what they were, a reconciliation of some kind is likely to happen.  To be fair, characters have done a lot worst in the past and have a turn around in the end.  Hell, on this show alone, the former main villain is now the snarky sidekick who uses her somewhat psychotic nature for good (and I say that with affection!)

I'm strangely kind of bummed about what happened to Harmony Dumplings.  The show actually did a good job at making it feel special for the Shens and it feels like the end of an era by having Mei-Lei step away from it for good.  But I'm curious about her and Sebastian teaming up in the food truck game!

Dennis is so lovable that even Zhilan takes the time out of her schedule of snarking and veiled threats to compliment his drinking making skills.

Jin manages to win the election despite everything.  Including Anthony making another last ditch attempt by using advice Jin was trying to give him out of the goodness of his heart.  Man, Anthony kind of sucks.

Vanessa Kai continues to really enjoy getting to be evil.

Things aren't looking good for Mia, it seems!  Or Henry!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

That and the idea of Althea not knowing what the NSA is were definitely the most far-fetch moments here (yeah, even the wonky magic stuff is more believable, heh.)

Is this an alternate timeline without Edward Snowden?

• LOL 1

So much happened in this episode, that I had to double check to see if this was the season finale! There was even a cliffhanger where Xiao kidnapped Henry just as he and Nicky seem to be closer to becoming a thing again! Possibly, now that Bo is back the love triangle lives on, even if I am totally confident that Henry/Nicky are endgame. 

I'm really sad to see Mei-Lei giving up Harmony Dumplings, we spent so much time there and its been so important to the family and community that seeing them give up on it so quickly feels so abrupt. We spent so much time trying to save the restaurant, and now its gone? At least Mei-Lei is getting a big pay out so they wont have to sweat money anymore, but that place has been such a big part of the show. Where will everyone meet up and have their Team Nicky meetings now? The food truck is kind of small, I guess the community center? Everyone volunteers their houses and apartments? Mei-Li and Sebastian running a food truck could be fun though, its amazing how many TV characters have ended up running food trucks as of late. The two of them working together again will be nice. 

The magic stuff seemed even more confusing than usual, I really have no clue what Xiao is up to and what her endgame is, maybe it will all become clear by the end of the season? Things are glowing, she's traveling around, I have no clue. 

I really did not miss Mia. I'm glad she's doing better and that her plot is getting followed up on, but as a character she's still somewhere between annoying and meh. 

If Althea and Zhilan were fun in the last episode, Zhilan and Dennis were amazing. He's so cute that Zhilan cant even say anything bad about his drinks. 

I do not buy for a second that Althea wouldn't immediately know what the NSA was, that was a really awkward bit of exposition for the two audience members who don't know who they are. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

If Althea and Zhilan were fun in the last episode, Zhilan and Dennis were amazing. He's so cute that Zhilan cant even say anything bad about his drinks.

Nicky is becoming a less compelling protagonist... 

How nice of The Alchemist to wait until Zhilan and Nicky took the long flight to China before striking at the monastery?  I'm ready for her to be defeated.  Why would Mia saving Nicky mean she had to clumsily drop that green travelling totem?  

The other surprises were rather out of the blue.  Althea working for the NSA?  So what's the catch?  I suppose Gavin will no longer be the only one to have "contacts" who can get video surveillance from a foreign mine?  

Jin winning the election was another unlikely feat, especially after Anthony coming out against Delta.  Did they have to make Anthony that sleazy in the end?  Well, Jin as an elected official might bring more "contacts" and some good storylines for him.

21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm strangely kind of bummed about what happened to Harmony Dumplings.  The show actually did a good job at making it feel special for the Shens and it feels like the end of an era by having Mei-Lei step away from it for good. 

I was super disappointed about it.  It was not satisfying to see Carrie and "corporate" win.  I hope Mei-Li gets Harmony Dumplings back.  It also made little sense.  So locals can't book online, only tourists can?  They got rid of take-out?  Even if there was a line out the door for a week or a month, at some point, the hype will die down.  I can't remember the last time some frozen supermarket product got soooooooooooo popular everyone went out of their way to travel to and eat at the originating restaurant.

Plus the food truck is Sebastian's dream.  I'm not sure I like the idea of Mei-Li hijacking it.  Helping out, sure.

Did anyone else watch "Once Upon a Time"?

Spoiler

Sebastian's subplot made me think about the laughable food truck of cold beignets in Season 7.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

If the restaurant is so popular, they could expand, couldn't they? Or franchise it? 

Too bad this is on CW instead of Fox... because a Kitchen Nightmare is developing....

image.png.abc9cdcf17ad2ab81042d06d6baacd61.png

• LOL 1
On 2/24/2023 at 11:41 PM, Camera One said:

Jin winning the election was another unlikely feat, especially after Anthony coming out against Delta. 

The margin of victory is still pretty narrow... there might be a mandatory recount rule that nobody has mentioned yet...