Type keyword(s) to search

Get those Frites Away from My Face! Drag Race Belgique

• Start Topic

Someone's going to have to explain this to me: why is this show in French, instead of in Flemish? Or are they going to alternate episode-by-episode, and have the next one in Flemish?

Rita adds a warm, fun presence to the proceedings, but Nicky is still my favourite non-American host. The talent show and runway was fun...but the lack of diversity in the cast is kind of startling. And only two queens from Flanders?

7 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Someone's going to have to explain this to me: why is this show in French, instead of in Flemish? Or are they going to alternate episode-by-episode, and have the next one in Flemish?

Just a guess, but I would think that French would be more commercially viable because they could sell the show to more countries as French is more widely spoken. 

• Like 2

I love that all the queens seem comparatively supportive of each other. It's refreshing to have a friendly competition.

So proud of my girl Rita for getting this assignment. I hope she remains happy with it and it doesn't become a burden for her.

4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Just a guess, but I would think that French would be more commercially viable because they could sell the show to more countries as French is more widely spoken. 

I recall that Drag Race Philippines had some less common dialects that were (extra)subtitled, so Flemish could still make an appearance.

I think I would have preferred to keep Edna and lose one of the other two. She reminds me of Vivian from CDR and I really liked her.

I will say that Drag Couenne and Susan are emerging as my favourites.

(edited)

I thought Edna did much better in the lipsync than Valenciaga, so that was an odd decision.

Am still sad at the loss of Amanda Tears, who was so endearing. I like Peach and Susan.

I know it's an unreasonable expectation, but I wish they'd stop speaking French! There's so much of it.

Edited by violet and green
typo
(edited)
On 3/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, violet and green said:

I thought Edna did much better in the lipsync than Valenciaga, so that was an odd decision.

Am still sad at the loss of Amanda Tears, who was so endearing. I like Peach and Susan.

I know it's an unreasonable expectation, but I wish they'd stop speaking French! There's so much of it.

The translation's pretty good, though, as there's not nearly as many omissions as there were on S1 of France. Although I noted that "hell" was translated as "underworld", and there were a few other bits that lacked the full context this episodes.

I do want to hear more Flemish/Dutch, though -- we've just had the odd phrase so far. Are all of the queens multilingual, or just the Ghentish ones? I want to know!

Edited by davidcalgary29

The translations are off this week. Rita didn't ask a "complicated" question; she asked an unpleasant or vexatious question. There were a small number of other translation errors. I'm keeping an eye on you, production!

The Snatch Game was middling. Susan should've won; she hit several layers of "Jeannine" Decker's life. Someone's going to have explain to me exactly why she was called near the bottom.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, dolphincorn said:

Rita is a charming, capable host, but she deserves a better wardrobe department.

This week's outfit wasn't even contestant level. Do you know if they are dressing Rita or is she providing her own clothes?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

This week's outfit wasn't even contestant level. Do you know if they are dressing Rita or is she providing her own clothes?

I think she tore them off of Barb's corpse from the Upside Down. Those pants

• LOL 1
On 3/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I think I recall at some point, Brooke saying that the best part of hosting is the clothes. Based on that, I'd guess the show provides the host's wardrobe. It would make sense, since RuPaul's selection of an avatar would reflect on her, so she'd want to help them put their best foot forward.

(edited)
On 4/1/2023 at 1:48 PM, Starchild said:

By the way, was that an original mini-challenge? I don't recall ever seeing it before. It was fun.

No. The mini challenge was a very welcome replay of the iconic USS5 Detox-winning mini challenge where all the queens had to apply "glamour" makeup in blackout conditions. If you haven't seen it, watch it, because it's probably the best all-time mini and filled with endlessly entertaining quips from Alaska, Roxxxy, Alyssa, and Jinkx, and (somewhat surprisingly) RuPaul himself.

This episode should actually have been called "La Reprise" because most of the elements were recycled from other excellent episodes: the maxi challenge was a Belgian version of the US4 Presidential speeches; the runway was a Belgian version of UK2 runway "A Day at the Beach" (and that Joe Black garment...); "Le Banana Split" was just featured on Drag Race France. But this was still a great episode, even though SUSAN SHOULD HAVE WON.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2

While the winner was a foregone conclusion five episodes ago, the editors sure didn't help matters -- what was up with the resignation from Susan and Athena throughout the episode? Sure, Couenne wanted "it" the most -- congrats?

I didn't like Athena's runway, and liked Susan's final look. Susan really was the standout for me this season.

And what the HELL was up the subtitles this episode? French is not an "unknown language"!!!

• Like 2

Merde! I'm so glad Susan made the final three. I kept watching because of her. Never warmed to Coenne, who seemed likely to win from episode one. Not sure why they booted Boop last ep. It seemed unnecessary and unkind, and Athena was limp competition to Coenne. It was a bit annoying having Susan's final look criticised and disparaged to that degree by Holland's latest winner, who looked ghastly herself!

Anyway, go Susan!

I see I've mispelled her name... Couenne? Oh well.

• Like 2
(edited)

I was worried I wouldn't be able to see Season 2, because the first run broadcast was on the French version of Crave (no subtitles), but it seems that after that, the episodes are appearing on the English version on demand with subtitles.

The ep 1 talent show was good, with another queen throwing fire around. They pulled a Kandy with the first elimination of the season, calling out as she was walking away that no, they're not eliminating anyone on the first episode after all. Unnecessarily cruel at that point, if you ask me.

Ep 2 was a design challenge where everyone was monochromatic in different colours. I thought they all looked pretty good, even the eliminated girl.

There are some real vulnerable queens here, it's going to be a heartfelt season I think.

Edited by Starchild
  • Like 1

So a couple of the girls (Star and Gabanna, was it?) tried to sneak a peek at the judges' notes between the performance and the runway. Stern warning, but there was no way to actually disqualify two girls at the same time with such a limited number of eps.

Seems the international versions give themselves much less leeway for potential double chantays or sashays.

Didn't have Morphae quitting on my bingo card, but there you go.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2024 at 11:53 PM, Wonderlad71 said:

Morphae needed an attititude check

I think she is a young queen who isn't fully grown in self assurance.  I think once she hits that stage, she'll be a wonderful force!  I love every minute with her.  

• Like 1

Wow that was an emotional makeover episode. I really could not tell who won that lipsync it was so close. So I'm glad everyone made it through to the finale.

• Like 1

I think that was the right winner. And the right Ms. Congeniality. I know there was some weird judging once in a while, but I liked the season overall.

• Like 1

Alvilda was the most consistent so am satisfied with her win. That said I did not care for her final runway (liked Loulou's the most) and thought she lost her lipsyncs . Overall all a fun enough finale. The last 2 episodes were probably the best of the season.

• Like 1