Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E11: Michael B. Jordan / Lil Baby

• Start Topic

I like Sarah...... but I don't like any of her gross out humour.  And from what Pete has shown us in her interviews, that's the real Sarah, the stuff that she wants to bring to SNL hardcore.  Ugh.  That's all automatic fast forwards for me.

I like Sarah when she's doing other people's stuff or when she's making fun of Colin, etc.  I absolutely cannot stand the gross out humour/food humour etc.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, lou ann b said:

I guess I'll be at my table all alone, because I like Sarah. She has a unique style.

I like Sarah. I can see why people might not, but I enjoy her energy along with how she can be more subdued (especially in pre-tapes). I also don't mind the "weird" sketches because she's only done them a few times this season (some like Bowen, Heidi, Chloe, do their thing much more frequently). Last season she bothered me at first because of all the shouting in the live sketches, but she's mostly toned that down. I do hope we get to see her do more quiet material relying less on gunk or weirdness. 

15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like Sarah...... but I don't like any of her gross out humour.  And from what Pete has shown us in her interviews, that's the real Sarah, the stuff that she wants to bring to SNL hardcore.  Ugh.  That's all automatic fast forwards for me.

I like Sarah when she's doing other people's stuff or when she's making fun of Colin, etc.  I absolutely cannot stand the gross out humour/food humour etc.

I Don't Like ANY Gross Out Humor Food OR Blood OR Vomit ! ! ! Maybe, Dan Being Julia Childs Was A Little Funny ! 

• Like 4

Arriving extremely late to the party...

Sigh, I do remember when Michael B. Jordan was on All My Children. They grow up so fast! 😉 (Trivia: MBJ replaced Chadwick Boseman in the role of Reggie. Boseman objected to certain stereotypical aspects of the character, a gangbanger Black kid who eventually saw the errors of his ways and was adopted by a wealthy White family. Today the storyline would be considered cringe at best.)

The Southwest Airlines sketch was kind of savage even if it was rather dated by now.

Auditory recency bias. Learn something new every day.

Has Lil Baby always worn his hair like that? He made me think of Coolio and I know that's not a desirable comparison.

Whoa, the Taylor Swift joke in WU. Someone finally said it out loud. (Yeah, I'm not a fan of her or the Swifties.)

Usually I'm meh on Kenan but I was cracking up at Michael Che's doorman in WU.

In the male confidence seminar sketch I kept waiting for someone to say "fivehead."

I really liked Lil Baby's second song.

A couple of weird sketches (and a ridiculous amount of product placement) but overall not a bad show IMO. MBJ was fairly game though he did struggle with the cue cards.

• Like 3
On 1/29/2023 at 12:18 AM, vb68 said:

As someone who has seen my share of State Farm ads, I was dying at the Jake from State Farm commercial. I only wish the husband took Jake's annoying ass down. Also too bad there wasn't a Mahomes cameo.

I think Mahomes was a little busy last week. :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 2/1/2023 at 8:41 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Trivia: MBJ replaced Chadwick Boseman in the role of Reggie. Boseman objected to certain stereotypical aspects of the character, a gangbanger Black kid who eventually saw the errors of his ways and was adopted by a wealthy White family. 

Cool piece of trivia!

Auditory recency bias. Learn something new every day.

I had asked if that was a real thing. Your post made me google. Yup.

Whoa, the Taylor Swift joke in WU. Someone finally said it out loud. (Yeah, I'm not a fan of her or the Swifties.)

I was wondering about the joke. I don't know anything about Swift's fans except that they're rabid. (Although, aren't most fans?) I assumed that they are liberal (like Taylor?) so the connection betw them and the Jan 6 insurrections surprised me.

That cut sketch was pretty good (though the ending was predictably weak and, well, predictable). I had to look up his name, but this was probably Devon Walker's best appearance. And that little girl was hilarious. BTW, the organ player looked familiar.

• Like 1
On 1/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, Pete Martell said:

I think in some cases it's also about how nervous you are being on the show.

In some cases, that's true. I don't think it was in this case, given the evidence. I would not be surprised if Jordan, or his management, made it clear that he would not be made to act or do certain things. None of us really know. For me, hosts who are willing to look silly are almost always the funniest hosts. This episode wasn't funny, for me.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:18 PM, vb68 said:

As someone who has seen my share of State Farm ads, I was dying at the Jake from State Farm commercial. I only wish the husband took Jake's annoying ass down. Also too bad there wasn't a Mahomes cameo.

Hello VB68. They Always Have The Host Win Every Thing So That Is Why The Husband Acted Like He Did ! Also, IT Did Not Fit To Have That Quarterback From Kansas City Make A Cameo ! IT Fits More IF He Had Made A Cameo When they Had The Other Foot Ball Player As The Host !

On 1/29/2023 at 1:13 AM, Trini said:

I feel like MBJ was better in the pre-taped stuff. But he was good and up for whatever; although in most of the live sketches they didn't give him that much to do.

I Don't Know What You Are Talking About ! He Was In That Sketch With The Pregnant Wife ! He Was In The Confidence Class ! He Was In The State Farm Sketch ! He Was In That Sketch With The Roller Coaster ! He Was In The Falling Down Sketch ! He Was In Every Thing ! IF You Would Say I Don't Like Him Getting Every Thing In All The Sketches OR They Only Talked About His Looks, Then I Can Know What You Did Not Like About The Show ! I Am Trying To Understand What Trina Didn't Like ! I Am Not Criticizing Trina !

On 1/29/2023 at 10:13 AM, peeayebee said:

I guess I noticed, too. I mean, the third time he came back to the podium I said to myself, Was he that short at the beginning of the sketch?

The mouth wasn't glued on; it looked like one of those dental instruments to keep your mouth open.

I thought this was a great show, better than last week's. As I posted last week, I didn't really care for Aubrey in most of her sketches, but I loved MBJ here. The monologue had me grinning and giggling. I esp loved it when Ego came out in the wedding dress. Yes, the show has done this kind of bit before with a hot host, but I thought it was well deserved because MBJ is so cute and hot and nice. Yes, I'm biased.

I really didn't like the Good Morning Today sketch because it just grossed me out, esp when the food was sticking in Michael's beard. I literally averted my eyes.

Loved the Southwest sketched. The bit about the luggage color was inspired. And the motto at the end: If it's that important to you, just walk.

I wasn't so sure about the resort sketch at first. It was reminding me of the Key & Peele valet sketches. But I really liked the characters, and there were plenty of funny lines. "I want to fold the toilet paper into a little triangle, so the first wipe is crazy."

The State Farm sketch was outstanding. The direction it went was unsurprising, but it was so well executed.

The voiceover sketch was ok. My favorite part was Bowen saying, "Yes, chef." Oh, and Auditory Recency Bias? Is that a real thing?

During WU when Colin was doing the bit about George Santos, I didn't understand something he said after remarking that Santos said he was never a drag queen. "OK, honey. We knew that from your ___." What did he say at the end? Heidi's boxing-movie girlfriend is very well done, very accurate, but I wasn't really feeling it until 'Creed' came out. It improved after that.

Male Confidence Seminar was ok. Michael made it work.

The bachelorette party sketch was ok. Well, actually as I think about it, I changed my mind. It was probably the weakest sketch of the night, though I did like the line about the wife being over a year pregnant.

The Toyota commercial was fantastic. Really loved it. We have Cane's restaurants around here, and I've heard that their chicken fingers are great, so the popularity of that, Chick-Fil-A, and In-N-Out messing up the dealership's business was spot on and hilarious.

Falling Down was ok. Again, there were some lines that made me laugh, like Andrew saying, "Hey, I'm at work. If you don't want me to see you fall down, quit falling down where I work." "Sometimes, you fall. And sometimes, I there."

I Also Like Michael B Jordon ! Sarah's Sketch Did NOT Have That Effect With Me ! What Grossed Me Out The Most Was Christmas With Martin Short And His Eye Ball ! I Could NOT Watch That ! Also, I Do Not Like Any Thing With The Nose ! I Don't Like Throwing Up OR Too Much Blood ! ! ! ! I Wanted To Say That I Did Not Care For LIL Baby's First Song ! I Liked His Second Song Better ! I Liked That Drum Beat And I Liked The Piano ! !

On 1/30/2023 at 7:56 AM, Ottis said:

One of the things I note with hosts is, how willing are they to look foolish? This one felt like Jordan did not want to go off brand, and his brand is apparently "hot, cool guy." So the show was oddly flat, with skits that stayed safe and even the audience could tell they wouldn't get funny after the initial set up. Contrast that with Plaza, who while attractive clearly doesn't give a crap about that and so she went for it in every skit, which made it funnier.

Monologue that focuses on Jordan being a hot guy? Check. State Farm guy who bangs other guy's wife? Check. Fireman stripper? Check. Guy poking fun at "male confidence seminar" because the guy is more confident than the instructor? Check. 

It was so blatant that the "falling down" skit at the end seemed like a last-minute attempt by frustrated writers to get Jordan past his brand. And even that was mild, with some "stunt fallers." You could argue the trapped rollercoaster news people was a little goofy, but it didn't require Jordan to *be* goofy, he was just putting on a costume (with mouthpiece) and then acting normal.

The whole show felt flat to me, and the audience didn't seem to know what to do except for "woo!" when Jordan was acting like a hot, cool guy.

I Wanted To Say That I Did Not See A Cane's In San Antonio Texas And I Lived There For 11 Years ! They DO Have A Cane's In Louisiana !