Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Paradise

• Start Topic

Harper is a best man yet again when his friends reunite in paradise for Quentin's impending nuptials; Jordan, Lance, Murch, Robyn, Candace and Shelby each react differently to Harper's chance to turn "Unfinished Business" into a movie.

Airdate: 12/22/22

It's nice to see the gang all back in full effect.   I had rewatched both movies a week or so back to refresh my memory and it was cool they gave the quick refresher for those who didn't see the movies.    Harper's book Unfinished Business definitely is getting lots of mileage in the entire series.   Did my eyes deceive me but did they flash forward and said he was in 2024 when Harper was doing his presentation...which as he was making that long walk to the stage I kept waiting for something comedic to happen.

And of course they would have Morris Chestnut's intro scene of him being half naked.   Not that I was complaining....*LOL*.   Guess his whole plot line will be fucking the pain away with many willing women.

It wasn't the most exciting premiere but they're setting up the storylines so that's understandable.   And hello Nicole Ari Parker...mini Empire reunion with her and Terrence.

• Like 5

Thank you for naming Nicole Ari Parker! I could not think of her name last night. And yes, the show did begin in 2024 and then went back to 2015, so I guess  a lot will happen in the next 9 years. 

Nice to see the original cast all together and looking forward to how it all gets wrapped up.

The actor playing Quentin's father looked familiar...I did NOT like him.

• Like 2

The Unicorn is a lot. And I was getting a bit of a Halle Berry vibe from Nicole Ari's  portrayal.

Lance is now a sex addict. Right. 🙄

Was Nia Long pregnant when this was filmed, or still carrying some baby weight? She always seemed to be holding something in front of her belly area like she was self-conscious for some reason.

Q's father does not hold back with his comments. Yikes.

Hurricane Shelby has arrived. Let the games begin.

• Like 1

Ok, I had to look it up but the original Best Man movie was in 1993.  It is now 23 years later and they all look great! 

Except... I think they did something to Morris Chestnut's face in that first scene in the hotel to make him look dissipated, because his face looked puffy and bloated. Lance was always my least favorite character of them all and that is still true.  Him subsuming his pain through dangerous and prolific sex with randos and strangers is selfish.  in 2015 his kids would have still been pretty young, man the fuck up.  Ugh.

Nicole Ari Parker as Xiomara is having a blast in her role, I love it.  But yeah... I am not sure about her.  I am getting... vibes.  And I always forget that Terrance Howard is actually a good actor.

The casting for Quentin's dad is wonderful.  They legit look like they could be related.  But he is giving me vibes as well.  Between him and 'The Unicorn' it feels like Q is being manipulated.  But here is Shelby to create chaos.  Good for her.  LOL.

I just don't know what to say about Murch.  He is just such a try hard.

• Like 4
On 12/22/2022 at 11:18 PM, Meedis said:

And of course they would have Morris Chestnut's intro scene of him being half naked.   Not that I was complaining....*LOL*.   Guess his whole plot line will be fucking the pain away with many willing women.

I have to say the makeup artists did a great job. Of course it’s Morris Chestnut, so he’s god given handsome but he looked like SHIT! Like he’s been crying and drinking too much, as if his heart was broken. Which makes sense given Mia is gone. 

On 12/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Empress1 said:

What is this wig they have Regina Hall in?!

I was wondering the same thing!

On 12/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, DearEvette said:

in 2015 his kids would have still been pretty young, man the fuck up.  Ugh.

Yes. It’s been about a year and a half since Mia died. His eldest would be 12 at best. He needs to PARENT THEM. Of course I don’t think the kids are being neglected, I’m sure he hired competent staff (caregivers etc) to meet their physical needs but they need their Dad. 

Edited to add: does anyone else think the blocking for Sanaa Lathan is off? If I didn’t know better I would think she was pregnant because they just keep shooting her face in these close frames. Her face is beautiful so I’m not complaining, it just looks off. 

The ladies clothes are so gorgeous though. Lovely resort wear. 

• Like 1