Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Night Of The Chi-Chi's

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Bethlehem, 1988: Teenage Dwayne is locked in with his father overnight when Rocky agrees to industrial clean a restaurant. In 2033, Dwayne feels nostalgia for a vintage arcade game he finds far from home.

Premiere Date: December 2, 2022      8 pm     NBC
NUP_199516_00336.jpg
NUP_199516_00474.jpg

"Dammit, Jerry!"  Jim O'Heir really has been popping up lately in stuff I watch.  No complaints there!

Still curious to see the longevity of Teenage/Middle Rock since he's only a few weeks away from going to college (which they already covered with Older Rock), but I liked seeing him here with Rocky and them finally address some stuff that has been stewing for a while.  After kind of lionizing him in the first season, they've done a much better job at showing Rocky's flaws and how his mistakes have effected Dwayne: both in good ways and bad ones.  I do think Rocky sincerely loved his family (and judging from the way the real Dwayne and Ata talk about him, I think they feel the same way), but his need to always be "on" and "working the gimmick" really did cause them a lot of problems.

Have a feeling Dwayne getting that coffee rights won't be easy despite the prime minister being such a fan.  I'm sure it will lead to more stories!

Sorry, Randall, but no name plague for you! 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

As do I. I’m sure it’s not the only restaurant that had an outbreak, so why the hell did it have to shut down completely?

I went to see if this reallly happened and apparently Chi-Chi's had already filed bankruptcy (after they had closed a bunch of restaurants) when a month later there was a outbreak of hepatitis A from tainted green onions. At the resutarant outside of Pittsburgh.

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

I went to see if this reallly happened and apparently Chi-Chi's had already filed bankruptcy (after they had closed a bunch of restaurants) when a month later there was a outbreak of hepatitis A from tainted green onions. At the resutarant outside of Pittsburgh.

Sounds like it was the last straw.  I had thought that maybe Chi-Chi's hadn't survived because the Latino population has increased greatly, and along with it a large number of more authentic Mexican restaurants.  But Taco Bell is still around, so not sure that theory works.

4 hours ago, nilyank said:

Four people died from the outbreak and over 650 were sickened. It was definitely the final nail in the coffin for them. Though I believe some products bearing their brand name still exist on grocery shelves, and they had some restaurants overseas until this year. 

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Sounds like it was the last straw.  I had thought that maybe Chi-Chi's hadn't survived because the Latino population has increased greatly, and along with it a large number of more authentic Mexican restaurants.  But Taco Bell is still around, so not sure that theory works.

Just looking at the set I am guessing it was one of those mid price restaurant row type places. Something like El Torito fills that market niche in SoCal today. However as Mexican food is seen as a street or soul food by many selling that higher price and slower service than the fast food giants Taco Bell and Del Taco the customer would be those whose primary food interest and home cooking would be Mexican style and they want safe and familiar for their mid priced eat out with service. While the more expensive dishes don't have as much cultural pull as say Olive Garden or an Applebees  can attract.