Type keyword(s) to search

S1 E09: Confessions

JayDub1987
  • Start Topic

Hey everybody! Tomorrow night is Episode 9 (there are reportedly 12 episodes in the first season), so we've almost made it through! Tomorrow's my birthday, so I'm not sure if I'll be around to react to the episode in real time. I figured I would go ahead and start the thread just in case.

Nicky, Gigi and Luke discuss what they should do about Catt; Jamie pushes Albie to finish his album; Nicky blackmails Kayla; Ana is shocked when Catt confesses a secret.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

There were additional backing vocals that came on halfway through when Albie was performing his murder ballad for the rep.  Where…where were they coming from?  Albie is literally the only person in the room singing.

Because Trace Adkins is releasing it as a single?  That would be my guess, but yeah...

I have so much burning hate for this show, I really am just hate-watching at this point, but the biggest question I had last night was why would a one-off tour of country female artists called the "Yellow Roses" bring in native Oklahoman Carrie Underwood to replace the 3rd woman after she dropped out.  I mean...  If you name a tour something like "Yellow Roses" then, clearly, you'd expect that they're all native Texans or have lived in Texas for a big part of their life or got their start in the Texas country music scene.  SMDH.

I'm sure I have other questions or issues with this show, but that's really the only one that matters in a show so poorly written as this one.

• Like 1
On 11/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, Retired at last said:

Happy Birthday! And I hope you have something more fun to do than summarize this show for us, although I love your posts!

ETA - wow. Good morning! It looks like everyone was celebrating your birthday, @JayDub1987.

Thank you, @Retired at last! It was a great birthday. I still haven't seen the show, but I'll be watching it today and getting my thoughts posted. 

So Albie's song he reached deep down inside to create is about killing a man.  Shocker........not.  The moment Jamie was telling him how to get a song to "tie the album together" I knew it would exactly what he was going to write.  His kids freaking out that it is a confession to murder, um no.  Its a Country song for goodness sake!

Nikki's blood in car would be easy to explain..........it was her HUSBAND's car.  Wouldn't she have been in it at some point, or did I miss something? And do these people not have attorneys to handle their unplanned murders?  Come on!

Are we to believe the adopted kid (don't remember his name) and the illegitimate granddaughter, had sex, seemed to be totally in love, but are now good friends because they found out she was Albie's granddaughter.  And she got mad when she found out and ran away because now she is a Dutton, er whatever their last name is (I really hate this show) and that is the only reason anyone would like her music.  WTF?  Then adopted boy drives 10 hours to get her only to find her chilling at the pool at some random motel.  What?  Only to drive back another 10 hours and still look April fresh in the same sweater and pants.  

My favorite hate show to watch.  If the actors/writers were in on the humor it would be more like Dynasty, which I love because the entire cast and crew get the vampiness of the whole show, making it a delight to watch.  JMHO

Waving Hi to the other 6 posters that show up here to discuss and dissect this mess.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, gaPeach said:

If the actors/writers were in on the humor it would be more like Dynasty, which I love because the entire cast and crew get the vampiness of the whole show, making it a delight to watch.  JMHO

In this interview with Beth Ditto I thought these were very telling quotes: (I believe she was talking specifically about a confrontation with her wife on the show but feels like general side eye at the production):

"For the record, we didn’t know this was a soap opera while we were making it; maybe it would’ve played differently had we known that. Like, in your mind, you’re making a drama. ... If we’d done it as a soap opera, maybe I would’ve flown off the handle and cleared a table and crashed through a window. But we wanted to play it lovingly and real.

Alright. I'm a couple days late, but I'm just getting to sit down and watch this mess. I've (mostly) avoided spoilers, so outside of the comments that have been made here, I don't really know much of what's  going to happen. Let's do this.

• Ok, so NIkki and Gigi like each other again in the opening. Talk about mood swings... This is Carrie and Sammy (DOOL) levels of back-and-forth sibling bullshittery. 
  • More dirty cop/Albie drama. Sadly, as bad as this storyline is, it may be the best one on this show.
  • I'm trying to decide how I feel about this fictional female super-group that seems to matter so much. If they're going to use real country artists' names, why not just reference "The Pistol Annies" or something? 
  • What in the bluest of all blue hells was this "Country Boy Shake It For Me" mess?! The only thing worse than doing bad covers of existing country songs is rewriting them, and doing so poorly. This whole NIkki performance was like some sort of bad parody karaoke. The real version of the song came out in 2011, which actually makes it a "newer" song based on this show's pattern. 
  • Welp, Gigi is gonna be the other Yellow Rose. Side bar: I'm not sure why the band is called the "Yellow Roses" if Kelsea (I assume Ballerini) and Leann (Rimes?) are the other two members. Kelsea is from Tennessee and Leann Rimes is from Mississippi. Isn't the yellow rose a Texas thing? 
  • Alright. More blackmail, this time from Nikki to Kayla(?). I know it's a soap opera trope, but the amount of blackmail in 9 episodes of this show is a bit much. It's almost like the writers have no clue how to tell a story, so they just pile as many stereotypical soap concepts in as possible.
  • No joke. I just had to rewind because I fell asleep watching this. Dozed off for a few minutes. Maybe I'm old.
  • Holy crap...we have an original song! Alert the world. According to the credits, Adam Anders and Tom Douglas wrote this one. Both of them are very accomplished songwriters. Hopefully bringing them on board becomes a more frequent thing. 
  • Could Gigi and Kayla have any less chemistry on screen? They come across like two people who got thrown into a table read together. 
  • "Before He Cheats" 2005. Still keeping it under that 25-year-old line that they had been going over. I guess this counts as a newer song, too. 
  • So they think Albie's song is gonna be a murder confession. Do they know that Johnny Cash didn't really shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die? Probably not. 
  • Speaking of Adam Anders, I'm 99% sure he was the drummer during Gigi's cover of "Before He Cheats." I could be wrong, but he definitely looked like him. 
  • "Fresh Eyes" came out in 2016. This episode did manage to focus on "newer" covers than many of the past shows. That's something?
  • Albie telling Nikki about what he has on the dirty cop did kinda fit what they've done character-wise with her. Dottie always put a lot on Nikki's shoulders, and now Albie is doing the same. 
  • Oh holy shit. Carrie Underwood..."what a hack." There's no way this show is taking itself seriously, right? 
  • So now the sisters are back to liking one another. If you get whiplash due to the family relationships on this show, I'm sure you're not alone. 
  • "Hard Days" by Brantley Gilbert (2019) is one of my favorite country songs of the last decade. Nice to hear it being used. 
  • So I guess Luke is going to take the job that the other guy turned down? 
  • Dramatic music over 3 evidence bags. I guess we know that somehow Albie is going to make all this go away, but the whole "which Roman did it" thing is at least a story. 

Alright, other than my unplanned nap, I pretty well made it through another episode. I'm sure I'll hate watch the next one when it comes on, too. 

23 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

There were additional backing vocals that came on halfway through when Albie was performing his murder ballad for the rep.  Where…where were they coming from?  Albie is literally the only person in the room singing.

HAHA! I caught that. There were other instruments in there too. Somehow he recorded other people singing and playing along without the producer knowing anything about it. 

• Love 2

So, yes, next week is Thanksgiving, but according to my TV guide, we get a rerun. They skip 2 weeks, come back for a week, and then a repeat. The way this show is confusing with flash backs and forwards, I think sticking a rerun in there will be even more confusing. I still feel like at some point, SOMEONE in charge is going to say, "Wait a minute - we are still running that show???" And, when we do get to the end of the 12 episodes, who thinks they will leave it open for another season, so nothing will be wrapped up?

13 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:
  • Welp, Gigi is gonna be the other Yellow Rose. Side bar: I'm not sure why the band is called the "Yellow Roses" if Kelsea (I assume Ballerini) and Leann (Rimes?) are the other two members. Kelsea is from Tennessee and Leann Rimes is from Mississippi. Isn't the yellow rose a Texas thing? 

Yes - it's an old folk song.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Rose_of_Texas_(song)

The version I'm most familiar with is the Johnny Lee & Lane Brody one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp1YDHagAGc

Rimes might have been born in Mississippi but she was raised in Texas and that's where she was discovered as a musical talent.  I definitely don't get why they were calling themselves the Yellow Roses though, since the rest of the group doesn't have any Texas ties as far as I can tell.  

4 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

Yes - it's an old folk song.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Rose_of_Texas_(song)

The version I'm most familiar with is the Johnny Lee & Lane Brody one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp1YDHagAGc

Rimes might have been born in Mississippi but she was raised in Texas and that's where she was discovered as a musical talent.  I definitely don't get why they were calling themselves the Yellow Roses though, since the rest of the group doesn't have any Texas ties as far as I can tell.  

Good points! 

My wife pointed out that Lee Ann Womack was born in Texas. Maybe she's the Lee Ann that they meant. Just another possibility.

• Love 1

We saw Gigi's kid.  Proof she exists.  Um other than that?   I guess I like that Gigi's wife told Gigi about the blackmail (you will note the use of Gigi's kid and wife as I don't know their names).   

Ace and his cousin are saying they are just friends now that they are family but they are so going to keep banging and I feel like the show wants me to care that they are being kept apart by a cruel twist of fate but I don't care about either of them, not even a little bit, and it was a prpetty squicky song for them to sing together knowing that probably Anna (is her name Anna?) is going to be outed as family in probably 12 seconds.

Nikki is such a child whining that she doesn't get anything.  And why she thought she'd be the next one picked for sure if Gigi didn't accept the offer?!?!?!?!?!?    Yeah, no idea.  I laughed pretty hard when she wasn't, though.   

Albie and DA are bad but it is genuinely the only thing I'm interested in.  So Albie did time for the DA and is blackmailing him and the DA is done with that so is going all in.  I get it, I guess.  I just don't get why knowing all the details the DA doesn't say, "Okay, Alblie, cards on the table what happened here because we both know that things sometimes get complicated..." but whatever.

This family is so all up in each others business I just don't see how any Roman DNA of any kind can't be explained away.  It is a literal drop of blood.   "I borrowed the truck after I cut myself shaving..." done.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2022 at 2:26 PM, JayDub1987 said:
  • So I guess Luke is going to take the job that the other guy turned down? 

Which will bring in Marcia Freaking Cross into our silly, silly show.

23 hours ago, bybrandy said:

We saw Gigi's kid.  Proof she exists.  Um other than that?   I guess I like that Gigi's wife told Gigi about the blackmail (you will note the use of Gigi's kid and wife as I don't know their names).   

In fine soap opera tradition, that child got sorased a couple of years because last time we saw her, Gigi said she was changing her diapers in that episode where she that thing on whatever internet podcast where she showed the real her waking up without make up and going through her day's routine.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, nilyank said:

In fine soap opera tradition, that child got sorased a couple of years because last time we saw her, Gigi said she was changing her diapers in that episode where she that thing on whatever internet podcast where she showed the real her waking up without make up and going through her day's routine.

You'd think as quickly as that kid aged, the wifey would have already given birth to at least two more of Luke's secret babies by now!

• LOL 2

I liked when Kayla was telling Nicki that she wouldn’t be blackmailed and would never hurt Gigi. 
Me to my cat:  pretty sure having her brother’s baby is going to hurt Gigi. 

~~~~

Anytime I mention this show, my kids groan and ask why I’m still watching if I hate it so much. The only answer I have is to see just how much of a shit show they’re giving us. Kinda hoping the Roman family tour bus drives off a cliff though and we don’t get a season 2. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2