Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: '90s Night

• Start Topic

For 90s night, I was hoping for songs that were more of the pop from the later 90s, like Britney/Backstreet/Xtina, but it was still fun.

Happy that the Lambs made it through, they were clearly far and away the best singers tonight.  Milkshake was great with his rap performance but the showcase showdown made it clear that he couldn't sing at all.  But good for him for giving it his best effort.

I was a bit worried for Lambs when they sang "Ironic", it wasn't very exciting compared to the other two performances.  But they killed it on both performances with the harmonies.  I always chuckle when I hear this song because back in the day, a co-worker and I were in a multiple day semi-argument where she kept insisting that the name of the song was "It Figures".  This song and other references like the dial-up modem sound really brought back the nostalgia for me.

I'm surprised that none of the judges have guessed Wilson Phillips at all... I would hope that they know who it is and are just trying to preserve some mystery.  The CD clue said something about "Go your own way and make your reality".  Which led Stupid Ken to say "I told you, it's the Kardashians!"  Shut up Ken.  Wilson Phillips released a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" on their third album "California".

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yeah the Lambs are obviously W-P; the CD clue couldn't make it any more obvious. I'm pretty sure the judges were explicitly told to guess anyone BUT W-P. (I think I heard the Beach Boys mentioned in passing at some point during the evening which makes dodging around W-P even stranger in some ways). 

As for the other two singers, they did well but they were clearly fodder for the episode. Still they did fun songs and had a good time so I don't mind. 

But for the bonus clues, couldn't they have dug up 2 more 90's stars somewhere? Repeating the clue giver feels cheap and this is the second time they've done that. The pattern so far has been 2 guest stars, 1 gives 2 clues and 1 gives a clue and the scepter at the end. Surely they could just get 2 more stars and let the clue givers pad out the VIP section through the episode. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Taeolas said:

Yeah the Lambs are obviously W-P; the CD clue couldn't make it any more obvious. I'm pretty sure the judges were explicitly told to guess anyone BUT W-P. (I think I heard the Beach Boys mentioned in passing at some point during the evening which makes dodging around W-P even stranger in some ways). 

As for the other two singers, they did well but they were clearly fodder for the episode. Still they did fun songs and had a good time so I don't mind. 

But for the bonus clues, couldn't they have dug up 2 more 90's stars somewhere? Repeating the clue giver feels cheap and this is the second time they've done that. The pattern so far has been 2 guest stars, 1 gives 2 clues and 1 gives a clue and the scepter at the end. Surely they could just get 2 more stars and let the clue givers pad out the VIP section through the episode. 

Yes, when Ken guessed John Stamos for the Walrus he said something about how he is an honorary Beach Boy.  So it seems particularly odd that not one of the four panelists would have at least thrown out the name of Wilson Phillips.  I had thought they wanted to preserve more mystery for the semifinal round but didn't they guess Amber Riley for Harp at one point?  Was it Ken that said they were SWV?  Really?  I liked that Robin said he didn't hear S or W or V.

I agree that I wish they could have gotten more 90s stars.  Even their stable of past contestants is filled with them - Tamera Mowry, Drew Carey, Hanson, Jewel, Shaggy... would have been nice to have gotten one of these back. 

Now more than ever I am convinced that Lance Bass will be a contestant if there is a Season 9.  He'd be a great contestant because nobody knows what he sounds like.  Did he even actually sing on any of the N*STYNK songs or was he just there to fill out the fifth slot? 😂

46 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Now more than ever I am convinced that Lance Bass will be a contestant if there is a Season 9.  He'd be a great contestant because nobody knows what he sounds like.  Did he even actually sing on any of the N*STYNK songs or was he just there to fill out the fifth slot? 😂

It's possible. They already had Joey (season 2?) and Chris (this season). I wonder if they had on both Lance and Danielle because they were a couple back in the 90s.

Edited by MrsEVH
On 11/8/2022 at 8:50 AM, blackwing said:

Was it Ken that said they were SWV?  Really?  I liked that Robin said he didn't hear S or W or V.

It was actually Jenny who asked guessed them and asked if they still were a thing... yes Miss Jenny they are.   They keep throwing their names out there even though yes there was no S or W or V heard.   I'm hoping they do make an appearance sometime in the future.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, blackwing said:

I'm surprised that none of the judges have guessed Wilson Phillips at all... I would hope that they know who it is and are just trying to preserve some mystery.  The CD clue said something about "Go your own way and make your reality".  Which led Stupid Ken to say "I told you, it's the Kardashians!"  Shut up Ken.  Wilson Phillips released a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" on their third album "California".

(I'm trying to be civil --- I was warned once on another forum when I was LESS than civil)

after appearing on a wacky celebre-ality show where they were telling ghost stories --------

After appearing on a wacky celebre-ality show where she swapped husbands ----------

after being a day-time talk show host --------

after a candid reality show  ----------

after being a game show host ----------

after appearing on a wacky show where she was pretending to run a B&B with Marcia Brady and Bobby Brown --------

The only thing that I'm surprised about is why it took eight seasons before Carnie appeared on THIS wacky celeb show.

• Love 1