Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Is It a Good Dot?

• Start Topic

When the ship crosses paths with a rogue space station, Ryan and the crew jump at the opportunity to socialize, while Billie angles for help with Avenue 5's mounting eel problem. Then, after Rav discovers the true purpose of Storm Falcon's mission, Ryan must steer his team through a difficult moral quandary.

Original air date 2022.10.24

• Like 1

I know this is a comedy and I probably shouldn't think this hard about it, but I really don't see how it's possible that earth is running out of Lithium. First of all it's a super abundant element, second you can recycle Lithium pretty well, thrid if all else fails you can filter it out of sea water, fourth they seem more than technologically advanced enough to do asteroid mining, where again, it would be super abundant.

There is just no way there is not enough Lithium. I wish they would have come up with something else.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Damn, this is a funny show.  I just wish they had a better explanation as to why a shuttle can get there and back so fast, and how they can easily hook up to a space station (um, I mean outer space prison), and yet there's no possible way to evacuate the ship for 8 years.  I'm beginning to think that this is really more feature than bug, though... 

Yeah Iris!  Is anyone going back on the shuttle this time?  Maybe the cannibal? 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I can handwave that a shuttle is faster because Avenue 5 is more like an aircraft carrier and just can't move just due to inertia. That's why they can't turn. Too much of a fuel burn. They also have all those people. I thought last season they did have a conversation about shuttling people off, but it would have taken longer. 

I thought for a second that the station was all cannibals and they were eating people. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I can handwave that a shuttle is faster because Avenue 5 is more like an aircraft carrier and just can't move just due to inertia. That's why they can't turn. Too much of a fuel burn.

Of course that should also mean that they can't just dock at a space station...

• Like 1

The station looked reasonably in the path of Avenue 5 enough that I can fanwank. I mean, this isn't that show, but you could assume that Avenue 5 got blown above the ecliptic so the maneuvers to get on a course to earth directly can't happen. 

• Love 2

At first I wondered if those people were space aliens momentarily taking  human form. There was something noticeably off about their behavior right away.

Yeah, I also mistakenly thought they were all cannibals and the Avenue 5 group was being fattened up to be eaten. Or at least the captain was.

Lucky for the Avenue 5 gang that Karen's Karen instincts came through.

• Like 3
On 10/28/2022 at 5:08 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

The station looked reasonably in the path of Avenue 5 enough that I can fanwank. I mean, this isn't that show, but you could assume that Avenue 5 got blown above the ecliptic so the maneuvers to get on a course to earth directly can't happen. 

They'd still have to match the speed of the space station. Which means slowing down by a lot, since they clearly had higher speed while approaching it. So they have enough fuel to do that but not to change their trajectory in any meaningfull way? That would require fanwanking physics away.

• Love 1