Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Welcome to the Hot Prospect

• Start Topic

When Calvin stumbles upon a big business opportunity, he must convince Malcolm to help him so he can seal the deal. Also, Gemma is forced to confront a secret from her beauty pageant past when a friend from her hometown arrives.

Airdate: 10/24/2022

Awwww....  Malcolm is such a good guy.  He's actually a great coach, the kind that chooses the kid over the game.  I don't know how well that sort of compassion is going to work for him at USC, but as a human being it is fantastic.  Nice to see Marty get to feel like a rock star too.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

I don't know if Peter needs a scholarship, but if he's good at baseball and can snag one he can do both. (see Josh Dobbs - literally a rocket scientist but played as quarterback for U of Tenn.) But I do like how they showed his interest in science.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Oh!  Something else I meant to note before.  I liked how they shook up the dynamic and had Tina in scenes with Dave, and Calvin in scenes with Gemma.  Usually you see the women together, or the men together, but having it mixed up like that highlighted that the couples are friends all around.  At first I was expecting a little awkwardness, but the characters just launched into conversation like "business as usual" and no looking around for the other person.  Like, I expected Calvin to start casting around for Tina to take Gemma off his hands, or for Dave to appear so he could have guy time.  Instead, Calvin and Gemma just had a normal grown up interaction instead.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Oh!  Something else I meant to note before.  I liked how they shook up the dynamic and had Tina in scenes with Dave, and Calvin in scenes with Gemma.  Usually you see the women together, or the men together, but having it mixed up like that highlighted that the couples are friends all around.  At first I was expecting a little awkwardness, but the characters just launched into conversation like "business as usual" and no looking around for the other person.  Like, I expected Calvin to start casting around for Tina to take Gemma off his hands, or for Dave to appear so he could have guy time.  Instead, Calvin and Gemma just had a normal grown up interaction instead.

I really like this aspect of the show. We saw a glimpse of it last season when Calvin connected with Gemma over her miscarriage. 

• Love 9

If only we lived in a world where being an outstanding high school athlete could help you get into (and pay for) a top college.

Oh wait, we do! As @MaryMitch points out.  I don't like these unnecessary choices shows have characters make.

Actually I thought Malcom and Marty were about to come up with a whole new way of coaching baseball based on math. That would have been cool.

• Love 1