Type keyword(s) to search

S1 E06: The Night Of...

JayDub1987
  • Start Topic

The Romans await the news of the Country Music Legacy Awards nominations; Nicky & Luke meet with district attorney “Uncle” Tripp DeWitt (guest star DW Moffat). Meanwhile, Luke looks into Jamie’s past and Albie learns of a new family connection.

I'm not gonna be around for this one, but I figured I'd throw us a thread up so we could talk about whatever sort of dumassery takes place tonight. 

• Love 1

I don’t understand why Gigi thinks the song she found in a boot her mother left to her father that was clearly a personal message to him was hers in the first place. 

im not sure recording her mother’s song was ever supposed to make Nikki feel like she had stepped out of her mother’s shadow. 

im not sure how it wouldn’t have been huge news that somebody had died in that fire.

I don’t know how a kid would be placed in an orphanage with a father listed on the birth certificate without him being contacted to take his kid. 

and I’m not sure how she could put Albie on the birth certificate without his consent. But I don’t know what the laws were in Texas then.  I was born in North Carolina and my parents weren’t married but were together and my mom couldn’t add my dad who was at work even though he had been there the whole time.  Albie wasn’t there to sign.  But in Texas?  Tennessee? Maybe everybody could put whatever up in the father spot. 

are we supposed to think the Romans are getting all this press for covers?  Or are we supposed to think Albie recently wrote a song that came out when I was in high school?

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I don’t understand why Gigi thinks the song she found in a boot her mother left to her father that was clearly a personal message to him was hers in the first place. 

im not sure recording her mother’s song was ever supposed to make Nikki feel like she had stepped out of her mother’s shadow. 

im not sure how it wouldn’t have been huge news that somebody had died in that fire.

I don’t know how a kid would be placed in an orphanage with a father listed on the birth certificate without him being contacted to take his kid. 

and I’m not sure how she could put Albie on the birth certificate without his consent. But I don’t know what the laws were in Texas then.  I was born in North Carolina and my parents weren’t married but were together and my mom couldn’t add my dad who was at work even though he had been there the whole time.  Albie wasn’t there to sign.  But in Texas?  Tennessee? Maybe everybody could put whatever up in the father spot. 

are we supposed to think the Romans are getting all this press for covers?  Or are we supposed to think Albie recently wrote a song that came out when I was in high school?

First of all, thank you for typing all of this. I didn't get to watch the episode until today, and I usually go through and post my reactions in "real time," but you've pretty much summed up everything I thought.

Gigi's continued self righteousness regarding a song she found in a boot makes me think we're not really supposed to sympathize with her. There's no way that any rationally thinking person would think it was "her song" because she found it in a boot, right? Of course, I'm starting to wonder how I, as a rationally thinking person, can continue watching this train wreck of a soap opera. 

The only way that I can figure that it wasn't news that someone died in the fire would be because A) there wasn't much of an investigation into a barn fire, and B) perhaps the woman (Rosa?) was undocumented, and therefore, no one would have known she was missing. I am hoping that we find out how her (presumably) young daughter made her way to New Mexico after the fire, but I'm not holding my breath.

I won't lie, I have no idea how birth certificates work regarding putting a father's name on them. Somebody who has some experience there may be able to provide some insight, but I'm not the guy for that.

I love that more people are pointing out the ridiculousness of the cover songs. Friends in Low Places came out 32 years ago. And for the record, Trace singing it was brutal. This only falls even more in line with this show fixating on covers that are more than 15 years old. The duet that the sisters covered at the award show is only 8 years old, and I was stunned that they would go so "modern." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m honestly not sure that they *are* supposed to be cover songs, as they seemingly play fast-and-loose as to what songs are the Romans and which songs are not — they implied that Dottie had a hit with a Shania Twain song that she quote-unquote “stole” from Shania.  This opens up the possibility of an entire parallel universe where the Romans keep making hit-after-other-people’s hits.  Monarch and the Multiverse of Madness.

Absolutely, completely, one-hundred-percent on Nicki’s side.  Dottie wrote that song, GiGi did not.  Unless there was a 30 second outro that we didn’t see where Dottie declared it rightfully GiGi’s, Nicki is not doing anything wrong by recording it.

I did actually enjoy everybody waking up early to watch the awards’ nominations to be refreshing and probably true to real life.  One of my biggest pet peeves is celebrities being all faux-humble and saying “oh, I was totally asleep when this happened, it’s so crazy, I had not anticipated this at all!”  Granted, I have never and will never been nominated for an Oscar or a Grammy, but if I had even the remotest chance of being nominated for either, my ass is waking up at 6 am to see if I am.

Nicki’s performance wig is the worst wig I have ever seen and I’ve watched every season of ‘Drag Race.’  It’s giving…tragedy.

ADD15D22-F811-47D6-A09C-977BF04AFF8C.jpeg

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

So who did Nikki kill or fuck up? Was it her husband and he smacked her and she knocked his ass out. Was it the producer dude? Or was it  Rosa's daughter, Castel (Queen of the South) I mean Cat, and Gigi were headed to her house. So was it one of them who she knocked out and are they going to come in or see through the windows what happened? 

My guess is it's the husband.

Giving needs to get the fuck over herself. She didn't write the song and Dottie didn't give it only to her. I know she's trying to be a star, but go record another song since she says her audience doesn't like the crap that Nikki sings and that song is what Nikki sings. 

I cringe whenever they cover an old song and act like its new or original but maybe those are the only songs they can get the rights to use.  I laugh at the range of southern accents when the family has all lived in TN their whole lives. Nikki's is especially thick which is usually a good sign its fake, and Gigi's is close behind. I really want to like this show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, toodywoody said:

So who did Nikki kill or fuck up? Was it her husband and he smacked her and she knocked his ass out. Was it the producer dude? Or was it  Rosa's daughter, Castel (Queen of the South) I mean Cat, and Gigi were headed to her house. So was it one of them who she knocked out and are they going to come in or see through the windows what happened? 

I know it's completely unrealistic (but it is this show!) but I really hope it's Gigi.  I am beyond over her and her one note cry baby self!

• Love 3

I think Gigi is being absurd and needs to get over it. She is acting like a child. But I don’t see how Nikki had any real claim on that song either.  She got it on the air first so fine but miss I want to step out of my mother’s shadow’s first big move was to record her mother’s song. Gigi is more wrong but neither are making choices that I would be if I were trying to show the world I was on my own a badass country star. 

• Like 2

I am totally not an expert on modern country music - My tastes are eclectic and in terms of country are more Gram Parsons or even older like blue grass. The music they use sounds like very bland rock from 20 years ago - it is just weird that there is nothing country about it in terms of its sound. I know that Shania Twain created a lot of press years ago when she had Mutt Lange produce her album and it was more rocker than traditional lady country - but for the most part whenever I hear new country at this point it just sounds like fungible rock.

Speaking as a non-expert the music on Nashville was so much better. Perhaps it is because the music supervisor actually had worked in Nashville for 20 years and so had a real love and understanding of country music and its roots.

The credited music supervisor has a lot of music credits but absolutely nothing indicating any background or expertise in music.

I worked for many years at record companies and there certainly are ways to get interesting music. The record companies and publishers have people whose job it is to place songs in television shows because it is such good promotional opportunity. If you want to license an actual track it can get more problematic since there are artist rights and royalties involved but for a show like this they don't need actual tracks the way a show like Grey's Anatomy (which uses a lot of music) does. 

I googled briefly 

Article on Nashville Music Supervisor

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2017/03/25/anastasia-brown-has-career-defining-role-picking-music-shack/99457988/

Article on Amanda Krieg Thomas who appears to be the main music supervisor for Monarch with a list of her credits. Extensive credits but none showing any love or even familiarity with country whether old, new or in between. I don't remember the specific shows but as I recall there have been some shows or movies in which the choice of music has been stellar and the producers hired someone who was known for their expertise and taste and love of the genre - the antithesis of Amanda Krieg Thomas who is credited with music supervision for Monarch

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/monarch-music-supervisor-fox-country-covers-soundtrack-1235385186/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3588896/

• Love 1

I was wondering the same thing.  Why are they singing popular songs by other artists but appear to act as though they are new?  

How did they not find a body in the ashes of the barn?

How did Albie's fling have a baby without him knowing about it?  Was she still the housekeeper?  

Nikki's daughter is a pain but her dad was murdered.  Or missing.  I am not sure how much she knows.

Gigi and her partner have zero chemistry.  Zero.

Can't think of one person on this show with many redeeming qualities.  Well, except for Chet Atkins.  Not Albie but Chet.  I love him.