Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Thai Another Day

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

b-sound.jpg

This could have been an "A" if it weren't for the messy climax where way too much happened in too short a period of time.

It was action-packed, well-paced and the episode made all the right choices storywise. There was the potential that this could have gone off the rails very easily without the proper care to the details, so while I wish things could have been tightened up, at least there was the satisfaction that the story went as it should.

Key to what held the episode back was the subplot with the Thai SWAT Commander's daughter. It was a nice idea but it was too disconnected from the "A" story of Hondo and the Thai SWAT looking for Ted. The episode should have focused on one plot or the other, and, if the Commander's daughter was going to be an issue, the episode should have focused on that.

Really, this felt like two episodes jammed into one, which is not good considering this was a two-parter already.

Still, the episode concluded as it should. Zaw Min (played wonderfully by Naymyo Thant) and his men got their just deserts. Chintana's detective skills got the credit they deserve. Hondo and Ted had a wonderful moment at the end, and it was great to see LA SWAT take in Somchai and his Thai SWAT brethren as part of "the family".

Oh, and Commander Hicks showed why he's a Commander when he calmly- but firmly- told Powell that, though she did well, to knock off the antics. He could have tore her a new one and maybe he would have been justified in doing so, but a calmer, gentler approach worked far better. You keep your charges more in line by showing you'll work with them, not against them.

• Love 1

Thank god Hondo managed to keep his promises and saved the boys.

Victor has to sacrifice and trade his shirt with Uan. 😂

The kidnapping plot is not really necessary in this episode and they overlooked the time difference factor. Bangkok (TH) time is 14:00 hours ahead of Los Angeles (US). So, day time in Bangkok is supposed to be night time in LA.

In last episode, there was a glaring continuity error in the stealing Jeep scenes. And now this? Nobody in the prod team ever noticed about these?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

In last episode, there was a glaring continuity error in the stealing Jeep scenes. And now this? Nobody in the prod team ever noticed about these?

I stopped expecting continuity in shows/movies a long time ago.  The time differences between countries, the fact that folks can travel from time zone to another and back again, etc.  The audience is just expected to accept and not question.  I know those of us who live in cities where car chases are done and someone gets from point A to point B in less than five minutes is always an amusing one.

I'm glad that Hondo was able to save the boys and keep his word.  I'm glad that Hicks knows what Powell did but didn't lower the hammer on her like he could have.  I always find it disturbing when Street has to be the voice of reason, lol.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

I'm glad that Hicks knows what Powell did but didn't lower the hammer on her like he could have. I always find it disturbing when Street has to be the voice of reason, lol.

Is Powell a permanent addition to the team?

There’s no mention of Nora Fowler since they gave her “hearing problem”. I like her and Erika more than Powell. 😣

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Is Powell a permanent addition to the team?

There’s no mention of Nora Fowler since they gave her “hearing problem”. I like her and Erika more than Powell. 😣

I certainly hope that Fowler returns.  She is an interesting character.

I thought the cinematography in this episode waa excellent.  I was only half following the story, but I liked all of the Deacon scenes.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I stopped expecting continuity in shows/movies a long time ago.  The time differences between countries, the fact that folks can travel from time zone to another and back again, etc.  The audience is just expected to accept and not question.  I know those of us who live in cities where car chases are done and someone gets from point A to point B in less than five minutes is always an amusing one.

Maybe it's a CBS thing.  More than once on NCIS the agents are called out to Norfolk and arrive in minutes or an hour tops from their hq at the Navy Yard which is in or near Washington DC 😂 (Many years ago, I attended college for a year in Hampton, which is across the Hampton Roads from Norfolk, but close enough.  At the end of the school year, my mother drove down to pick me up to return home to Brooklyn NY.  We stopped in Washington DC to stay overnight with a cousin to break up the trip.  Definitely took more than an hour (I would say closer to 4.  I-64 to Richmond, then I-95 to DC))  TV magic lol

• Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The kidnapping plot is not really necessary in this episode and they overlooked the time difference factor. Bangkok (TH) time is 14:00 hours ahead of Los Angeles (US). So, day time in Bangkok is supposed to be night time in LA.

Good catch. I don't know how I missed that (I'm usually on top of those myself).

My guess- and I'm going to guess this is what writers bank on- is that with so many different things happening, you might not notice that detail. Plus, let's be honest- though traffic is a pain and parking is even worse in places like LA and New York, would it be that entertaining to watch our heroes stuck in traffic or run around looking for a parking spot?

Perhaps, also, the writer may have thought "if it's 7PM in Los Angeles, it's 9AM in Bangkok". That's only way I could see that scene being plausible, and even that is a stretch. Now, I'm not too familiar with Bangkok dining venues, but I doubt many are open at 9AM.

It's something I would handwave but it's a plot important point, since Hondo couldn't save the kid without saving the woman first. So the show should have waited until night to stage the rescue operation, and it might have been more plausible given that a kidnapping would be more successful at night.

Of course, I really think they should have simplified that whole story by simply foiling the attempt to kidnap the Thai Commander's daughter. Even without the time zone snafu, it just overloaded the story. I get the show wanted to up the stakes, but I don't think actually kidnapping her would have changed much.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1