Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Anything for Blood

• Start Topic

After ten years away, Mark Kane and his daughter, Eleanor, return home to New York City, hoping to find a cure for a rare affliction. Their neighbor Naomi Cole, an NYPD Homicide Detective, tries to balance investigating a brutal murder at work with raising her son Isaiah, whose newly sober father has suddenly come back into their lives. Claire Logan, a brilliant scientist, receives a devastating call from her estranged father, summoning her home.

Airs 10/9 on Showtime. The premiere is available to stream early, enter at your own risk if you haven't watched yet. . 

I watched it on You Tube but didn't like it.

It seemed very sanitized / Disneyfided. 

Here, Elle is with her loving father who is trying to find a cure for her. I thought Elle was not the monster she was in the movie and we are clearly supposed to feel bad for her and her dad. The lost boy here just seems to have too loving a family to be enthralled by a vampire and also, his mom is an NYPD detective... which would seem to be a odd choice to be living next to a vampire who drinks blood every day. If I were Mark I would be moving out the moment I learned that. 

There is also a totally different story about a scientist looking for a cure. That frankly bored me and seemed very uninspired and cliche. 

• Love 1

I liked the show. The stakes are nice and high. If Mark doesn't bring home "dinner" for Elle he risks her snacking on whomever is nearby including him. This has apparently led to situations where they have needed to leave town in a hurry in the past.

Good to see Nick Stahl again, I haven't seen him since Terminator 3.

From the look of things Elle might have been the one who turned the scientist's son. Either that or he turned her but it sounds like she was first. I'm interested to hear more about Elle's past. How old is she? Asked but not answered in this episode. She's not a kid but Mark treats her like one sometimes which I have a feeling he will come to regret.

My one complaint is that this show, like The Equalizer, suffers from small NYC syndrome. There are millions of people in New York City but all the characters in this show live right on top of each other or have immediately overlapping storylines. I guess that is supposed to fall into the feature rather than bug category but it makes the timing of the characters particularly auspicious (for lack of a better word) for any of this to work.

I'm looking forward to those bullies getting turned into lunch for Elle.

• Like 1

I knew that he would kill the kid's father, but I actually said loudly, "NO!" damn.

Also, when the scientist father showed his daughter into the room, I knew that he was really asking for her help, but because shows like to shock people, I was half-expecting her brother to say, "You look so... delicious!" and to feed off her, to recover. 

• Like 1