Type keyword(s) to search

The Pros: Why is Anton Still Here?

So, let's see -- who's in and who's out this year?

James is out (he's currently enduring Gary Busey and others on Celebrity Big Brother UK), but Ola's in.

Artem has been transferred to DWTS as a  full-time pro (we apparently traded Tristan McManus for him.  It's a fair exchange, but let's hope that Tristan gets better treatment in London than he did in Hollywood!).

Anton is still there (but God only knows why; Kevin Clifton and Brendan Cole have gotten themselves up to his level in Standard, and Latin is probably still his Kryptonite).  I don't remember whether Erin is supposed to be back now that she's had her baby.

I know Darren and Lilia moved on long ago. I'm only mentioning them here because they recently announced on Twitter that they're expecting their first child sometime next year.

Brits, who else is on the pro line-up this year?  Are you looking forward to getting Tristan?

• Love 1

Kevin's sister Joanna is on the roster this year. Unfortunately at the expense of Anya, which puzzles me to no end. She was terrific and did so well on her first season. I'd rather see Ola go, she's not that great.

Robin is out due to a back injury. In his place we have a young guy named Trent Whiddon from Australia.

So excited about Tristan!

• Love 1

Hi - the full line-up is:

Karen Hauer

Joanne Clifton (newbie)

Natalie Lowe (usually preceded by 'the divine...') 

Ola Jordan

Iveta Lukosuite 

Kristina Rhianoff

Aliona Vilani 

Janette Manrara

Brendan Cole

Anton du Beke 

Alijaz Skorjanec

Trent Whiddon (in for Robin)

Tristan MacManus (newbie ;-))

Kevin Clifton

Pasha Kovalev

I have no idea why Anton is indestructible...

Very sorry to lose Anya after only one series, but if they were determined to get Joanne, someone had to go.  It may have been her choice, of course, but she's quiet and reserved and so was her celeb last time, so perhaps she just didn't make enough impact. They've made a point of saying she'll be involved with choreography, so maybe they are keeping her close for future seasons.  

She's  one of my favorites, but I'm surprised they kept Aliona.  Perhaps there was a deal done last year when she stepped in last minute, after having been unceremoniously dumped, and did duffer-duty with good grace.  Janette is also a surprise (comparing to Anya).  She was unlucky with her celeb last time and didn't make the best impression, but maybe she comes as a package with Aljaz.  

I'm still quietly weeping at the loss of Artem (not even the lovely Tristan can compensate completely), but I wish him well on DwtS and hope he gets a decent partner.

Edited by ceebee

And I similarly hope that Tristan will get the ringeriest ringer who ever rang on SCD.  :)  Fortunately, Anton has been consistently getting the duds for so long that I think Tristan is safe from that particular curse in London.

Ah, Anton -- the cockroach of the dance world.  I love him to pieces (and always have), but isn't he now the oldest pro on the show at 48?  How much longer is the show going to keep him on? Do the producers simply get some sort of perverse thrill out of his tendency to humiliate himself and his partner with horrendous Latin routines?

I hadn't heard about Robin's injury so Trent Whiddon, as a Pro, is news to me.  I googled him (he initially reminded me of Damian Whitewood but that didn't last) and he has experience from DWTS Australia and (meeting what seems to be the new-hire criteria) has worked on Burn the Floor.  Only 2 male pros on this roster who haven't done time with Burn the Floor. (to my knowledge neither Brendan nor Anton have done the show, but I could be wrong) 

I love Burn the Floor, but I expect to hear a lot of moaning about the preponderance of alumni on some discussion forums.  ;-)

Also really disappointed at Anya not being a Pro this Series.  My only consolation is that she is still associated with the show and we might get to see some of her choreography (and perhaps her dancing in those routines?). 

ETA:

Anton... I don't love him, but I don't hate him either.  I think his presence is to give a reassuring sense of stability to BBC viewers who aren't happy with the loss of entertainment icon Brucie. (Just a thought, not based on anything really.)

Edited by Anothermi
(edited)

I would say that he was originally closer to SCD's version of Jonathan Roberts.  He's fairly likable, but he almost invariably gets stuck with older partners who can't dance to save their lives.  Unfortunately, this means that he's checked out somewhat when it comes to even trying to work with his celebs (the one time that he actually did get someone with potential, he didn't seem to have a clue as to what to do with her), which means that he overdoes it with the comedy in his routines most of the time, and that pretty much reduces his efforts to the status of a recurring punchline to a joke that is no longer funny.  It also doesn't help that he is abysmal when it comes to choreographing -- or even dancing -- Latin routines (as he himself has admitted, he really doesn't get what Latin is about, and it shows in his rather amateurish technique).

Finally, there's his constant tendency to ham it up, which many people find grating.   It's one of the reasons that it was widely speculated that he would take over for Sir Bruce as presenter when the latter finally retired -- it was believed that Anton was really trying to audition for Sir Bruce's job all along.

Of course, now I'm wondering whether maybe the real reason he's still around is that the producers are thinking of having him replace Len as a judge on the UK side of the pond when/if Len ever actually decides to quit SCD.

Edited by legaleagle53

legaleagle -  your 'Anton-in-a-nutshell' is spot on.  

I find him unremittingly irritating, so hope your hunch about being Len-in-waiting is wrong!  If Brucie had retired a few years ago, I think Anton might have got the job.  It's one of the few positives I take from Sir Bruce outstaying his welcome for such a long time..

Edited by ceebee
  • Love 1

I hadn't heard about Robin's injury so Trent Whiddon, as a Pro, is news to me. I googled him (he initially reminded me of Damian Whitewood but that didn't last) and he has experience from DWTS Australia and (meeting what seems to be the new-hire criteria) has worked on Burn the Floor. Only 2 male pros on this roster who haven't done time with Burn the Floor. (to my knowledge neither Brendan nor Anton have done the show, but I could be wrong)

I love Burn the Floor, but I expect to hear a lot of moaning about the preponderance of alumni on some discussion forums. ;-)

Also really disappointed at Anya not being a Pro this Series. My only consolation is that she is still associated with the show and we might get to see some of her choreography (and perhaps her dancing in those routines?).

ETA:

Anton... I don't love him, but I don't hate him either. I think his presence is to give a reassuring sense of stability to BBC viewers who aren't happy with the loss of entertainment icon Brucie. (Just a thought, not based on anything really.)

You aren't wrong about Brendan and Anton. Neither of them has done Burn the Floor because each has his own post-series tour that he does every year.

Interesting. It does sound as if it's true that Derek appropriated Tristan's partner on dwts last season. I am still very sad that he won't be on. All of you Strictly fans are very lucky!

I just looked at the interview and I didn't see anything to suggest Tristan lost his partner to Derek. I'm aware that was a popular theory, but am I missing something in that interview?

I've never really cared much for Tristan or Artem, so the trade is about even for me. 

I'm happy to see Natalie is returning. She's probably my favorite Strictly pro. I'd love to see her win.

I like Anton and I think he's well suited for creating humor with whatever woman has no realistic chance of winning. His work with Anne a few years back was really entertaining. Anton should probably never win, but he takes his assignments in stride. So long as his partners have a good experience I have no problem with him, although I do understand he said some unacceptable things about one of his partners a while back.

The one who I actively dislike is Karen. I'm no dance expert, but I don't like her dancing even in pro numbers. Something about her movements looks awkward although I can't put my finger on it. 

Well, it's official. Tristan gets the old lady again. I don't know anything about Jennifer Gibney but she looks like she is around the same age as Nancy Grace with similar physical characteristics. Why? I just don't get it. I was hoping they would treat him better in England.

Here's hoping he is popular there and next year they change it up and give him someone younger unlike DWTS...sigh. I read Ireland can't vote (unless they do some finagling online) which stinks because they'd probably have massive support.

ETA: After seeing the video of him being paired with Jenny and seeming so genuinely excited, I'm happy for him! I think he already feels more comfortable at Strictly than he did at DWTS even if they do put him in sparkly shirts.

Edited by Buggin

Well, it's official. Tristan gets the old lady again. I don't know anything about Jennifer Gibney but she looks like she is around the same age as Nancy Grace with similar physical characteristics. Why? I just don't get it. I was hoping they would treat him better in England.

I think the reason that Tristan got Jenny is that they're both Irish, and the producers must have thought it would be fun to see two natives of Eire play off each other.

Edited by legaleagle53

And in other news, it seems that the annual Ola pregnancy rumor is out in full force this year, mainly because she was throwing up the morning of last week's performance show. What's more, OK Magazine has even picked up on it and is claiming that she's already 13-14 weeks along.

She and James are denying the rumor, though.  They're both insisting that she's not pregnant; she just got a little fat and is currently on a diet. Of course, that's not really going to quell the pregnancy rumors, since that's exactly what Tess said for several months a few years ago before she finally admitted to being pregnant at the end of that particular series (even though viewers had sussed it out long before then).

I can see why she and James would be denying the pregnancy rumor, though.  She's one of the most popular female pros (she does a cheesecake calendar every year that has been a tremendous success -- and for 2015, she even threw in a nude shot or two, with James's blessing, of course!), and she's got a good chance of winning this year.  Besides, she doesn't want to pull attention away from her celeb or the show itself, which is why Tess denied her pregnancy until just before the end of that series.

I do wonder, though, if that's why It Takes Two seems to be snubbing her lately.  James has been complaining about that on Twitter, most recently today.

I think whether its medically safe or not, the audience would have a hard time watching a pregnant woman being lifted, particularly by an amateur. I'm inclined to think Ola isn't pregnant. James spent over a month locked in the Celeb BB house. It could have happened before or after that, however, it does narrow the window of time. I'm inclined to think a married woman throwing up is bound to start rumors, especially since Ola has said she wants a baby.

While I'm here, I think Trend is incredibly bland. On the floor and off. I really hated his samba with Pixie last week.She's a great dancer, I just wish she had a pro with a more natural personality and charisma. 

Anna Trebunskaya was pregnant when she and Tristan did a series of Ballroom with a Twist shows last Fall, and there were lifts. I don't know if they had the kind of dangerous lifts I've been reading that Ola/Steve are doing though. And anyway, Tristan's a pro and Steve's not, not to mention the amount of stress the celebrities must feel doing the live show which would make mishaps more likely.

And I'm warming to Trent, despite being annoyed that Tristan got another old lady and newbie Trent got the ringeriest of ringers. What I'm dreading the most is the return of Robin Windsor. Why anyone in the world would bring back that overweight-looking ugly brute, who could easily be cast as a Bond villain, especially in the place of gorgeous Tristan or pretty Trent... well, if that happens, I'll throw my binkie out of the playpen!

BTW, I read that Trent's wife Gordana helps him with his choreography. Brendan Cole himself thanked Anya Garnis for helping with his and Sunetra's Viennese Waltz, and Simon Webbe thanked another SCD choreographer, Kylie Cruikshanks, for help with his and Kristina's rumba.  Rumba is not a "specialty" dance and neither is VW, at least for Brendan, who's supposedly famous for doing great ones. So much for their contention that the pros do all their own choreography. But then I knew that - but have argued till I'm blue in the face and not many believe me :-(

Edited by Morrigan

Yay! And I just watched a youtube of Tristan doing the Children in Need special on BBC, which was filmed last week but aired tonight:

Anton's on it too, as well as Natalie and Aliona. Oh how I wish they'd make Anton the host - I think he'd be funnier than Tess. AND it would open up one more slot for a male pro dancer on the show.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

AND it would prevent him from choreographing another horrendous Latin routine.

As for the special?  Those kids were adorable, and their dancing was amazing to watch!  Could we be looking at future SCD/DWTS pros say, ten years down the line?

Edited by legaleagle53

From the Blackpool Week thread:

I'd pick Tristan or Anton. Or maybe Natalie? I was just reading an article about Strictly and they called Pasha "pint sized" ha! I googled him and it said he was 5'10" but I doubt he's that tall. Oh well... Who would you pick, legal??  Did you see ITT yesterday when Robin Windsor was so excited about getting to dance with Aljaz :)  ?

Anton, maybe -- as long as we did a Standard dance (Quickstep would be my choice).  I wouldn't trust him with a Latin routine to save my life, even though I've always wanted to learn the Paso Doble.  For that, I think I'd go with James, Kevin, or maybe Ian Waite.  Robin Windsor simply isn't my type.

If, however, I have to choose an opposite-sex pro (although as a gay man, I'd naturally prefer a male pro), I'd probably go with Ola or Karen Hardy after she's had her baby (as viewers of ITT know, she's pregnant; I'd say, in fact, that she's about four or five months along).

Incidentally, I can't watch ITT here in the States.  I can only watch the dance clips on YouTube  and the few brief snippets of ITT that the BBC sees fit to put on its dedicated Strictly YouTube Channel.  Of course, the advantage to that is that I don't have to listen to the judges' in(s)ane comments.

Speaking of the judges, I heard on Twitter yesterday that something terrible happened to Craig's family, but I couldn't find any details.  Anyone know what happened?

Edited by legaleagle53

In the pro dance this coming Saturday, Aljaz and Robin do the Quickstep together - and Tristan gets to live your dream - he dances the Quickstep with Anton (with Tristan leading, at least going by their arm positions - Robin does the "follow" part with Aljaz.)  I hope it's more than just a few seconds :)

And I'm sorry to hear about Craig! I can't remember if he's from New Zealand or Australia. I'll look for news - but let me know if you find out. Apparently Claudia's little girl, who was badly burned at a Halloween Party, is well enough for Claudia to go back to hosting Strictly this week.

Edited by Morrigan

The Stork has paid a visit to a couple of our former pros.  Darren and Lilia had their baby girl, Valentina Rose, just yesterday, and Karen Hardy and her husband welcomed their second child (a boy who, according to Karen, was born "big and strong") just a week ago.  Could we be seeing new pros for SCD or DWTS in, say, 2036 or thereabouts?  ;-)

This year's pro lineup has been announced:  https://twitter.com/SCD2015

Ola is back following the knee injury that nearly sidelined her permanently earlier this year (speaking of Ola, did anyone see Seven Days With James and Ola Jordan last night?).  The new female pro is South African Otlile Mabuse.  If I remember correctly, she was a pro (and later judge) on the German version of Strictly a few years ago, and she was dreadful in both roles.  I pity the celeb who gets her.  The other female returnees are Janette, Aliona, Karen, Kristina, Natalie, and Joanne.

On the male side, we have two new pros:  SCD picked Gleb Savchenko up from the US version, and we have an Italian newbie:  Giovanni Pernice.  Tristan is back, as are Brendan, Pasha, Kevin, Aljaz, and Anton (as if there were any doubt!).

Any rumors about possible celebs yet?

• Love 1

Are they really gonna have 16 celebrities this season? I keep expecting one of the pros (at least) to be dropped. And Anton came over to visit the DWTS set this spring, didn't he? Did he sit in as guest judge or just watch - all I remember is he was on Gethin Jones' All Access show. I thought that might be a sign that he would replace Len Goodman who I assume won't be doing DWTS come September - and that might explain the extra named pro. Oh well nothing to do but wait...

Are they really gonna have 16 celebrities this season? I keep expecting one of the pros (at least) to be dropped. And Anton came over to visit the DWTS set this spring, didn't he? Did he sit in as guest judge or just watch - all I remember is he was on Gethin Jones' All Access show. I thought that might be a sign that he would replace Len Goodman who I assume won't be doing DWTS come September - and that might explain the extra named pro. Oh well nothing to do but wait...

Nope.  He's never been a guest judge on DWTS, or even visited us over here (he's supposedly not too fond of the US as a travel destination).  You're thinking of The People's Strictly, where he replaced Craig on the panel because Craig had a conflict of interest due to his having helped with some of the choreography/training of the six non-celebrity contestants.

You are correct, by the way, that Len won't be doing DWTS this fall.  He announced a few months ago that our most recent series would be his last.  He's only doing Strictly from now on.  Bruno, on the other hand, is set to guest judge on the Australian version this year.  That should be fun.

I went back and checked and Anton was in Los Angeles for the taping of one of the DWTS shows - I remember seeing a photo of him in the audience behind Bruno (mentioned in one of the tweets below) but I can't find the picture anymore, but I did find these tweets about his visit:

Emma Slater ‏@EmmaSlaterDance May 5

@TheAntonDuBeke so good to see you last night darling!!! Big love

Caroline Feraday ‏@CarolineFeraday May 5

Worlds collide indeed! Have fun you two - welcome to Lala land  @TheAntonDuBeke @DWTSAllAccess @GethincJones

Team Nastia & Derek ‏@TeamNastiaDWTS May 6

Question. Was that @TheAntonDuBeke sitting behind Bruno in the audience on Monday?

DWTS20Artem ‏@jane9668 May 6

@TeamNastiaDWTS @TheAntonDuBeke I didn't see him but he was up w/ @GethincJones in @DWTSAllAccess area!

• Love 1
(edited)

I went back and checked and Anton was in Los Angeles for the taping of one of the DWTS shows - I remember seeing a photo of him in the audience behind Bruno (mentioned in one of the tweets below) but I can't find the picture anymore, but I did find these tweets about his visit:

Emma Slater ‏@EmmaSlaterDance May 5

@TheAntonDuBeke so good to see you last night darling!!! Big love

Caroline Feraday ‏@CarolineFeraday May 5

Worlds collide indeed! Have fun you two - welcome to Lala land  @TheAntonDuBeke @DWTSAllAccess @GethincJones

Team Nastia & Derek ‏@TeamNastiaDWTS May 6

Question. Was that @TheAntonDuBeke sitting behind Bruno in the audience on Monday?

DWTS20Artem ‏@jane9668 May 6

@TeamNastiaDWTS @TheAntonDuBeke I didn't see him but he was up w/ @GethincJones in @DWTSAllAccess area!

I stand corrected, then.

And in other news, Ian Waite got engaged today:  https://twitter.com/ianwaite/status/617454396637622273

Love won in Britain!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Congrats to all the happy couples.

I see Ola's recovered from her nasty accident. I thought it was touch and go she'd be able to dance again, not to mention the bridges she allegedly burned by going on that skiing thing.

Edited by Occasional Hope

Huh.  So Ola announced the other day that she is leaving Strictly for good: 

Hi tweeps.... So, yes it's true.
I will be leaving Strictly at the end of this series.
I have had an amazing 10 years on the show, but...

How did I miss this one?

How did I miss this one?

Ola has also given an rather sour interview to the papers about Strictly being fixed. I wish she could have had a little more grace after 10 years.

Ola has also given an rather sour interview to the papers about Strictly being fixed. I wish she could have had a little more grace after 10 years.

Well, she is married to James, after all, and he's not known for holding back when it comes to giving his opinion of Strictly.  So it's not surprising that she would be just as outspoken now that she's quit.

• Love 1

How did I miss this one?

Funny, I saw a thread about this on DS, but those sort of threads appear annually so I just ignored it.  I guess sooner or later it had to be true (kind of like a stopped watch).  ;-P

Edited by Anothermi

I suspect, too, that she and James may start concentrating on starting a family now.  They've both said that they want kids, but they never felt that the timing was right while their careers were going full-tilt.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1