Type keyword(s) to search

The War of the Roses (1989)

Hiyo
  • Start Topic

I utterly love the ending of this film; I remember sitting in the theatre, so upset it seemed they were going to end on some little vestige of the love they once felt for each other, and then she pushes his arm off her with the last of her strength.  Ha!  I should have trusted the film, so deliciously dark once things go off the rails, but I'm used to endings that wimp out.

It's a great script - take the basic truth that the things which first attracted you often become the things you can no longer live with, and run with that in a most vicious way - and it was the perfect choice to go with a famous romantic comedy duo (and their sidekick) for the cast, so the audience is willing to go along with such outlandish, violent comedy (it's filled with things generally impossible to find humor in, even as satire).

• Like 2
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I utterly love the ending of this film; I remember sitting in the theatre, so upset it seemed they were going to end on some little vestige of the love they once felt for each other, and then she pushes his arm off her with the last of her strength.  Ha!  I should have trusted the film, so deliciously dark once things go off the rails, but I'm used to endings that wimp out.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the film (dark comedy isn't really my genre), but yes, that ending was perfect.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's a great script - take the basic truth that the things which first attracted you often become the things you can no longer live with

"At fifteen I became an evolutionist, and it all became clear. We came from mud. And after three point-five billion years of evolution, at our core is still mud. Nobody can be a divorce lawyer and doubt that."

• Love 2