Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Give Me a Moustache and Call Me Sherlock Holmes

• Start Topic

Interesting episode.  I think that the Face-Off had almost every team do the challenge at least twice.  Croquet of all things!  We had a set and I used to play it all the time when I was a kid, but I haven't played it in years.  I do still have a set in the garage.  Surprised to see the boys come in last, but saved by non-elimination.  Is it just me, or do there seem to be a lot of non-elims this season?

Boy, that really looked like a small M that they had to spot from the plane, but they all found it first shot.  I've heard so many times about how nice Montebello is, I guess that one day I should actually go.

I chuckled at how the murder mystery challenge slowed down the racers that didn't speak French.  But they were resourceful and found ways around that.

I was kind of shocked to learn that Catherine has two children - that's really sad.  It must be incredibly hard for her to know that she will never get to see them accomplish certain milestones in their lives.

• Love 2

Count me in as someone who enjoyed the challenge being in French only. This is Canada, after all, although I suppose a French challenge should have been in Canada’s only official bilingual province - New Brunswick.

I agree that that M looked very small to me, but they all seemed to spot it without much trouble. 

I’m getting tired of Beverley and Veronica’s snotty girl attitude; I’ll be pissed if they win. They’re really the only team I’m not cheering for. They remind me of high school popular girls who always win/excel at everything, from sports to popularity. Then when it doesn’t happen for them (as in this race sometimes), they’re completely baffled and have no idea how to lose gracefully.

• Love 3

I'm surprised the boys and Betty and Veronica don't team up, seeing as the other teams are working together to get to the top three. I was almost hoping the boys would be eliminated, just so I don't have to hear about the freaking "pocket" anymore!!!!

I love croquet! They were not actually playing croquet; they were just hitting the balls through a wicket course. Real croquet would have taken forever and been brutal because a huge part of the game is striking the other teams' balls and then sending them far off course. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I'm surprised the boys and Betty and Veronica don't team up, seeing as the other teams are working together to get to the top three. I was almost hoping the boys would be eliminated, just so I don't have to hear about the freaking "pocket" anymore!!!!

I love croquet! They were not actually playing croquet; they were just hitting the balls through a wicket course. Real croquet would have taken forever and been brutal because a huge part of the game is striking the other teams' balls and then sending them far off course. 

They would probably do well to team up because they are both strong teams. I have a feeling that the Frenella alliance is done with Catherine and Craig.

I was thinking about hitting each other's balls, but that didn't happen so I wonder if there were specific instructions not to.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure that hitting other balls would be against the rules, though they may be gentlemen rules; as in if you are not obviously aiming for the other balls, it's fine if they have contact.

The french challenge was good. I'm a little annoyed that it was gamed so easily, but that's the Race for you. Plus I'm an NBer so I have enough French to mostly understand it, so it seemed easier than it may be to someone with no French knowledge at all. (Frenella IIRC said they couldn't even tell where words began and ended).

They were in Quebec, so a pure-French challenge made sense there.