Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Body

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I think the biggest mystery here is how twins who grew up in the exact same place have completely different accents. The "one stayed and the other has spent her whole adult life elsewhere" explanation doesn't exactly hold up when you consider they swap locations every year, so they've literally both spent the same amount of time in the same places (allegedly). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Gina probably just started faking a different accent in LA. 

Then why did she need to practice the Southern accent to pose as Lena again?

Oh, I don't know why I'm looking for logical explanations in this crazy show. There are none to be had!

• Love 1
On 8/21/2022 at 6:05 PM, gesundheit said:

Then why did she need to practice the Southern accent to pose as Lena again?

Oh, I don't know why I'm looking for logical explanations in this crazy show. There are none to be had!

Not that this show isn't ridiculous but your accent can change if you've lived somewhere else for long enough.  I have an Australian friend who's lived in the States for over a decade so she has an accent but when she's on the phone with her family back home, it gets a lot stronger just during that phone conversation.  I lived overseas for a year and it just so happened that a lot of the other Americans that I made friends with were from South Carolina so at some point, my accent started to mimick theirs and when I returned home, it took about two weeks to wear off.  So yeah, I could see that if one twin was supposed to have lived in LA for years and the other in a rural Southern town, they would have different accents after awhile.  

What I find more unbelievable is that they'd still look the same physically.  I mean, do they keep the exact same diet and work-out routine?  Wear the same amount of sunscreen?  One of them's given birth, so that alone should have caused some physical differences.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 8/25/2022 at 11:58 AM, Snapdragon said:

Not that this show isn't ridiculous but your accent can change if you've lived somewhere else for long enough.  I have an Australian friend who's lived in the States for over a decade so she has an accent but when she's on the phone with her family back home, it gets a lot stronger just during that phone conversation.  I lived overseas for a year and it just so happened that a lot of the other Americans that I made friends with were from South Carolina so at some point, my accent started to mimick theirs and when I returned home, it took about two weeks to wear off.  So yeah, I could see that if one twin was supposed to have lived in LA for years and the other in a rural Southern town, they would have different accents after awhile.  

What I find more unbelievable is that they'd still look the same physically.  I mean, do they keep the exact same diet and work-out routine?  Wear the same amount of sunscreen?  One of them's given birth, so that alone should have caused some physical differences.  

I agree what they would have different accents after a while, but according to the information we had at this point in the show, they'd both spent exactly the same amount of time in each place as each other. 

But yes, physically it's particularly ridiculous since every year one of them has an outdoor, physically-demanding job and the other doesn't. One would have sunstreaked hair, etc. One probably eats meat she slaughtered herself!

On 8/26/2022 at 3:09 PM, gesundheit said:

One probably eats meat she slaughtered herself!

Yes, because all farmers butcher their own meat. Not.

As for the accent, I think it’s obvious that when either is Leni, they use the accent since it’s regional to her location. When they are Gina, they lose the accent because they are in California and would have lost the accent over time.

I do agree that just because they’re identical twins doesn’t mean their bodies would be exactly the same. They did show them trying to replicate each other’s scars, but random bruises and broken nails are harder to fake. Then there’s the little things that people talk about that they couldn’t possibly fill each other in on over a year of switching. Restaurants they went to, a favourite thing someone cooked, a weird thing they saw on the street and laughed about, gossip about friends or coworkers. Assuming they have friends, which it seems Gina doesn’t.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Yes, because all farmers butcher their own meat. Not.

As for the accent, I think it’s obvious that when either is Leni, they use the accent since it’s regional to her location. When they are Gina, they lose the accent because they are in California and would have lost the accent over time.

I didn't say all farmers butcher their own meat! Apologies for being hyperbolic about this ridiculous show, but I was just demonstrating the stereotypical "extreme lifestyle differences" they were hammering down on us this entire series. This was not a show trafficking in nuance.

That's a good point for the accent -- that they're different because Gina and Leni made them that way for their plan. I'd been thinking the show was suggesting they really did have different accents naturally at this age, but if it was strategic by design I can get on board with that! (Why I'm still trying to apply logic to this show is beyond me)

Need someone to explain the whole foal thing.  Here's what I have pieced together:  Jack said he accepted a stolen foal from those two guys, cause it would be good to have that one powerful guy on his side from doing a favor for him.  But why on earth would someone have stolen a foal and then want to have someone else take ownership of it?  Then Gina, while she was posing as Leni, ran off with the foal, but we don't know why.  Is the foal now lost, or is that the dead horse they found?  I thought the dead horse was not a foal.  So now that the foal is gone, Jack and Leni are on the hook for $75K, the cost of the foal.  Leni apparently had at least $60K sitting in her bank account, since that's what Gina tried to steal in the form of a cashier's check.  Gina ran off and called Leni, making it seem like those two foal bad guys were after her for the money...why would they have tried to get the money from Gina if Jack and "Leni" are the ones who took in the foal, and the two foal bad guys don't know that it was really Gina posing as Leni who ran off with the foal.  Gina set up Leni with the whole foal/money story.  Did Jack have a part in setting up Leni?

Also, are we to believe the two bad foal guys or Jack, about whether there was a parking lot fight incident involving them and Jack.  Jack said there was, but in the garage, the head bad guy said something like, "what parking lot?"

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Procedural point here.  When the cops found the burned-out body in the truck, they never would/should have concluded that it was Dylan just cause the body was in Dylan's truck.  They would have tested the body to be sure.  Also, from the state of that corpse, it doesn't seem like Floss would have been able to see a stomach wound.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1