Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Back Footed

• Start Topic

“No one comes back from nougat!”

"Did she find your pie too?"
".... It's apple."

There are a lot of funny lines in the show, but a lot of the delivery is what is really making me laugh out loud in some of these scenes. It's nice to have these small moments of levity in a show dealing with a lot of big topics. There's so many really heavy moments that if there wasn't these nice comedic breaks now and then I'd have to pause the show and walk around to collect myself a bit! This show is doing a really wonderful job with the balance of emotions, even if the pacing isn't always as balanced.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/20/2022 at 7:47 PM, rollacoaster said:

I mean...Max didn't even take off her slip.  Was there any foreplay at all? That was so sad and unfortunate. 

She just wanted to get it over with. The look on her face at the end was hysterical. Like “yup- never doing THAT again.”

Compared to the ease and confidence she had with the married woman from church. I kind of feel badly because I think Guy actually likes her- he’s probably confused AF. She wouldn’t kiss him and then shows up for quick sex and leaves like a bat out of hell!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I love the "We're fine" sequence with Max and Clance, and their lunch revenge, and then them both saying they are not fine when Max shows up and asks if she can stay there.

And good for Max leaving; I understand where Toni is coming from, but she handles herself all wrong when it comes to Max.  At least she finally told Max what she likes about her.

Poor Max was all over the place in this one, and they were all good scenes.  I like her bonding with Carson over being strange, and her turning back up at Bert's with a cheeky "Still got that plate?" after having run out of the first time.  And of course he lets her in with no comment, understanding she got overwhelmed.  I liked Bertie immediately when Max asked, "You're my aunt Bertie?  Toni Chapman's sister?" and the response was: "Well, I am Bertie, but everything else you just said is up in the air."

Max's reaction to the world's most unsatisfying sex was hilarious, every frame of it.  "... and a pot.  Yeah, I left a pot.  The house is probably burned down, so ..."  

Sarge pushing the traditionally masculine leadership style as the only way of establishing power and earning respect is very typical, especially in that era, and it was nice to see Carson try it and realize that's not her.  I appreciate that she gave a very Carson speech, one she knows she needs to get better at, rather than jumping right to her knowing exactly what to say.  But she got the important stuff across, and there's team trust.

My favorite moment was Lupe telling Jess, "Yeah, you don't have to," when Jess said she never thought about why Lupe got blamed for the brawl and Carson got handed a coaching job she didn't even want.

Second was Max's reaction to Carson saying things would be so much easier for her if Max was on the team. 

This episode contains the one movie allusion I wish they'd left out -- "There's no crying in baseball" is just too iconic.

• Love 1
On 9/5/2022 at 5:39 PM, Bastet said:

My favorite moment was Lupe telling Jess, "Yeah, you don't have to," when Jess said she never thought about why Lupe got blamed for the brawl and Carson got handed a coaching job she didn't even want.

That was a really good moment. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was a really good moment. 

It was a lovely illustration of privilege, and of recognizing that privilege when it's called out rather than lashing out with defensive denial -- Jess is herself marginalized based on her gender and sexual orientation, but still has racial privilege, and when Lu got frustrated enough to lay out the reality of the league's reaction to the brawl, she listened and acknowledged she hadn't thought to examine why Carson and Lupe were treated differently for the same action.  A lesson far too many people still refuse to learn.  And Lupe remains centered; the scene doesn't end with Jess's realization, but with Lu's "Yeah, you don't have to" response.  Well done.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It was a lovely illustration of privilege, and of recognizing that privilege when it's called out rather than lashing out with defensive denial -- Jess is herself marginalized based on her gender and sexual orientation, but still has racial privilege, and when Lu got frustrated enough to lay out the reality of the league's reaction to the brawl, she listened and acknowledged she hadn't thought to examine why Carson and Lupe were treated differently for the same action.  A lesson far too many people still refuse to learn.  And Lupe remains centered; the scene doesn't end with Jess's realization, but with Lu's "Yeah, you don't have to" response.  Well done.

Yes. I mentioned up thread that Lu’s reaction was understandable and justified, but it also highlighted to me that Max wasn’t even allowed to play at all. Lu would’ve been more aware of that than Jess (or Carson) would have. 

Kindof surprised a company can't throw enough money at some retired ballplayer to "play coach" for the Peaches.

I keep thinking Max is going to join the Peaches, but i guess that's not going to happen.    As Lupe noticed there's already enough racism against brown players.