Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E15:The Crush of Winter

• Start Topic

New-mother Mandy returns to Sig's wheelhouse but as heavy ice builds on the Northwestern, she reckons with the risks the family is taking. Jake unveils a new super pot to stake his claim in the unforgiving cod derby as winter weather blindsides the fleet.

Mandy has to start thinking about more than her desire to prove herself a true Hansen.   If something had happened to the boat, Sailor would have been an orphan.   I get it, she wants to fish.   But, her daughter needs at least one parent alive.   Either her husband needs to go to another boat, or they need to alternate seasons so one is home with the baby and one on the boat.   

Then there was the special episode afterwards about Nick.   You know the guy who was bragging he was 348 days sober?  Not even a full year.   That Wild Bill considered a son because he was a "real" crabber.   He came up when crabbers were tough and assholes to each other.   You know unlike his real son who is clean, sober and doesn't play mind fuck games to prove his superiority.   Yeah Wild Bill pissed me off with going on and on about how great Nick was.   Nick was an addict who like all addicts, lied to those who tried to help him.   Let's not idolize the guy okay just because he's dead.   Of a drug overdose.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

It made little sense for Mandy to go to the expense of showing up.  The Hansen's are not stoopid people.  sig and all the other merchant seamen up there knew there was gonna be an early and harsh winter.  The fleet hauled butt to get out while the getting was good.  In the case of the NW, there was only ever gonna be the one trip for Mandy.  Nature cut even that at least in half.  We did get Disco draaaaaaaaama, though.  Why is it we never saw hubby involved in the discussion?  You think he would not have had a major say in all of this?  I snickered when Sig referenced his "brother" being aboard.  I'm thinking the felon's well being was not a consideration.

I loved Jake A.'s tower.  I wish I could believe the success of that first use was thanks to it.  We are to believe that the Saga simply started dropping pots in the middle of nowhere due to the urgency of the icing.  Then, it turns out they hit a biomass?  Really?  Nah.  However, is it possible that the intensity of the tower odor brought in that mass from some distance? 

I really felt for Bill having another critical mechanical issue despite just having spent a boatload (sorry) on repairs.  Reminds me of the TB luck.

I wish I could work up some sympathy for the Brenna A.  Ain't happenin'.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I snickered when Sig referenced his "brother" being aboard

NORM. 

I snickered because he said brother, not brothers.    he knows disco has forbidden references to Edgar.

• Love 2

I hated Sig in this episode! 'You need to stay home with the youngins & bake cookies now Mandy, leave the fishin' to the menfolk'. 

She's free to take the same chances as any other crewmember with kids!

I would have told him to GFY & go get a job on the Saga! 

she knows damn well it was a dangerous situation; I felt she was made to look incompetent on purpose 

Edited by xls
added coment
On 8/4/2022 at 2:24 AM, xls said:

I hated Sig in this episode! 'You need to stay home with the youngins & bake cookies now Mandy, leave the fishin' to the menfolk'. 

She's free to take the same chances as any other crewmember with kids!

I would have told him to GFY & go get a job on the Saga! 

she knows damn well it was a dangerous situation; I felt she was made to look incompetent on purpose 

I'm a mother to three young children and I have to say: I agree with you but I have to partially agree with Sig too. Not the stay home and bake cookies bit though 😉 But a child completely alters your life and asks for an overhaul and a resetting of priorities. it felt a bit like "We're having a baby and we'll continue fishing for months at a time like we have done over the past few years."  That's not just naive, it's plain stupid to think it would work that way!

I'm not saying Mandy can't fish. Sailor has a dad too and he has to take some responsibilities too. If they want to continue this fishing business, they'd better start figuring out how they're going to do this while being the best parents to this baby girl possible. Alternating fishing trips might be a possible solution here. I'm curious to see how this is going to play out but I doubt it will be a scenario where Mandy will be on the Northwestern for the entire winter every single year!

Edited by LilyD
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Rename the show Codliest Catch and be done with it.  Did even one crab make an appearance in this episode?

Not a fan of watching the deckhands stab the fish one by one, then send them writhing and bleeding down a chute slick with blood.

Re: Sig and Mandy.   Don't know if it was just editing, but IMHO it was wrong of Sig to leave Clark out of that discussion.   If Sig were deciding on the basis of "what's best for the boat," okay, because he's captain.   But Sig was clearly deciding what was best for Mandy and Clark's family without consulting one-half of that family.   Things like this are why in-laws get all the hate.