Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Growing Pains

• Start Topic

While delivering newspapers early one morning in 1988, four girls who have nothing in common are forced to work together to survive when something odd lands in their suburb.

Premiere date: July 29, 2022. Amazon premieres their episodes around midnight GMT, so people on the American continent should be able to watch this evening or late afternoon depending on their time zone.

13 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Not buying the ending. Why on earth would adult Erin not recognize her child self or remember the other paper girls?

I mean, would you be expecting your child self to walk in through the door? As to the second thing, they weren't close pals or anything, they literally just met in the course of these events.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SeanC said:

I mean, would you be expecting your child self to walk in through the door? As to the second thing, they weren't close pals or anything, they literally just met in the course of these events.

Weren’t pictures of her as a child up on the fridge? One of the other girls looked at them and picked up on who adult Erin was right away. Who hasn’t seen enough pictures of themself as a child to at least think “hey, this kid looks just like me at that age”?

As for the others, after going through a weird experience like this with them I’d think they’d be pretty well burned into her brain.

7 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

As for the others, after going through a weird experience like this with them I’d think they’d be pretty well burned into her brain.

Adult Erin clearly doesn't remember any of this, though.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SeanC said:
On 7/29/2022 at 4:57 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Not buying the ending. Why on earth would adult Erin not recognize her child self or remember the other paper girls?

My husband and I had the same argument---he said what @CarpeFelis said, and I responded with the first part of what @SeanC said. I also think that the amount of time that has passed is an important factor in how quickly you would recognize people (including yourself). In this case it is presumably over 30 years (1988-2019). Maybe other people have better memories, but aside from than family I only have a foggy memory of most kids I knew as a young teenager. If I looked at a yearbook I'd remember their faces and most names, but if their child selves walked through my door after 30 years I'm sure I would not recognize them, though there might be a sense of familiarity. 

Besides, adult Erin is an obviously anxious state and fearing a break-in, so I'm sure that even if she could recognize the girls it would take her a couple of minutes to get over the shock and admit it to herself or them.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Normally I'd agree, but if someone was as anxious and insecure as adult Erin seems to be, she might have convinced herself over the 30 years between the events of the story that she imagined the whole thing. Or, if and when the kids returned to their normal timeline, their memories might have been affected--we don't really know what the effects of time travel are in this story universe.  

• Love 1

So confused so far.....hope things are explained quickly. 

I love Ally Wong so much, but I find the acting overall to be a bit problematic. Will give a few more episodes a try. 

Also, Hazy Shade of Winter is the most overplayed song on sci fi type shows (Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, now this). I love the song, its just funny hearing it pop up in every single show I like. 

Edited by nomodrama
Because I do know basic grammar.

Funny to see the reactions to the first episode for someone who has read the comics. I get that makes me a lot less confused than people who discover this story. They seem to have changed quite a lot in the adaptation process so I think my knowledge of the comics might not be such a huge advantage!

But yeah, Adult!Erin does not remember at all these events, so either she has not lived them at all or she had her memory erased at some point 😏

• Love 3
On 7/30/2022 at 1:33 PM, Paloma said:

Besides, adult Erin is an obviously anxious state and fearing a break-in, so I'm sure that even if she could recognize the girls it would take her a couple of minutes to get over the shock and admit it to herself or them.

Let's not forget, also, that the first time we see adult Erin she is drinking wine directly out of the bottle. She probably isn't thinking clearly.

Good start, I have no idea what is happening but I am here for the ride.

• Love 3