Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Cairo

I'm curious how Laurie is going to feel about her daughter joining their murder-suicide cult.  Theoretically, she should be pleased that her daughter will now have a "purpose" but that can't be what she wants for her.

I wonder if she'll speak to her like Patti did when Liv Tyler came to them.

I hope Jill likes chopping down trees, but unlike Meg she will probably give up after about 30 seconds.

Since Laurie is now in charge, I seriously doubt she will select Jill as the new GR martyr like Gladys.

• Love 3

It would be funny if Jill walked around the GR all pissy, "WTF does this sign mean. Why are you wasting so much paper. I don't like pancakes." It would again be an opportunity to show us the GR, but since it's E9 and we've basically got shreds of what the GR is about or why anyone really joined, I'm doubtful. 

This show is like, Let's take all the crappy parts of Lost and start a show at that point. 

• Love 2

hahah i can hear it now..."i hate white.  legal pads are stupid.  sharpees stink.  can i smoke weed instead?"

...actually if the GR smoked weed instead, they'd make a whole lot more sense to me.  let's stand around all day smoking weed, do nothing, and not care about anything. see?

Edited by Michell3
  • Love 4

I can barely live with the not talking. I can sort of buy it. It would make more sense to me if they didn't communicate with outsiders *at all* but whatever. The smoking is just stupid and ridiculous though. Adults don't suddenly take up smoking. And we're I'm at, there's lots of places, even outside, where it's against the law now. 

Plus, in this episode they had the GRs unloading the dolls from the truck with cigarettes in their mouths. No one does that. Maybe after you do the job. They all must reek too and their breath constantly stinks. 

And I'm someone who used to enjoy the occasional cigarette. But it's more like something you grow out of imo unless you're hardcore and can't quit. 

I'm curious how Laurie is going to feel about her daughter joining their murder-suicide cult.  Theoretically, she should be pleased that her daughter will now have a "purpose" but that can't be what she wants for her.

i think this will be interesting to watch.  laurie did not want to be a mother to her, so why would she now?  or maybe jill's arrival will snap laurie out of her whatever/deep blue funk/cowardice and they'll both leave the GR together.  or, if laurie truly is mentally ill, maybe she'll be motivated to leave the GR and get real help.  anyhow, my understanding of the GR is that they don't care about anything except their purpose....do they even care about each other?  are they allowed?  wouldn't that be a distraction from their purpose? i just don't think a mother/daughter couple of members would work, given what i've seen so far.

• Love 1

I thought Laurie looked kind of horrified that Jill showed up. And it wasn't like the GR had been stalking/recruiting her.

I can't tell Laurie's horrified looks from her REALLY horrified looks enough to know if she gives a shit about Jill or not.  I'm with ganesh though and hope they both on a bitch-slapping rampage.

I still love this show and I don't even really know why. I just do and I hope we never learn why/how the departure happened. Then again, I'm someone who thought LOST went down the shitter as soon as they revealed the smoke monster, so what do I know.

I'm curious to see how that plays out. If Laurie has an decency left in her then she should . . . . . write Jill lots of notes about why she should leave the cult. Seriously. The GR is not the place you want your already fucked up daughter to hang around.

I still don't hate Jill. She's an asshole for sure, but I understand why she's fucked up. Like, I have infinitely more sympathy for her than Meg. That being said, I was furious when Jill just let Aimee leave the house.

Nora continues to be awesome. Love her That bitch is not sorry comments to Matt when Meg apologized.

I'm starting to wonder if this show is just a giant commentary on how fucked up cults are. Like, no matter what a cult's beliefs or endgames are they're are all run by arrogant shitheads who make themselves attractive to weak/angry/lost vulnerable people and manipulate them into thinking they are a part of something special.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 2

Did Aimee and Kevin actually have sex? because i dont remember it ever implying they did and Aimee sounded extermly sarcastic

Given what was revealed about Kevin appearing conscious and coherent, in these blackouts of his, I'm going with yes, they did have sex. Aimee's question about whether he remembered anything seemed too pointed to just be about the dog, as did the way she was looking at him in those scenes, and the bite on Kevin's hand did look human. But given Aimee's apparent promiscuity, perhaps she didn't think it was a big enough deal to be upset about him also seeing Nora.

As for the confrontation with Jill, I don't know. It did seem like Aimee was surprised and upset that Jill would suggest it happened, but maybe she's just good at faking that, or maybe she's upset with herself for damaging her friendship with Jill.

Either way, I'd hope that Aimee is involved in getting Jill away from the GR, because she does seem to genuinely care about her, and has actually been something of a voice of reason, when Jill has been at her most self-destructive. Perhaps Jill will change her mind on her own when she realises the GR just smoke regular cigarettes, and not weed.

I'm starting to wonder if this show is just a giant commentary on how fucked up cults are.

I continue to feel the show is a giant commentary on 9/11. If by "commentary" is meant deep psychological exploration.

And it works for me like gangbusters on that level.

• Love 1