Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: No Normal

• Start Topic

On 7/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, Raja said:

Carol Danvers had that look that I touched something and opps. Assuming she doesn't know about a switch I still don't take her as the type to slink out without accepting responsibility.

No, I didn’t mean fly off to resume what she was doing. I meant that she realized the switch happened and flew off to find Kamala at wherever she was. I saw it as, “oh, shit, I have to get to this child I just switched places with immediately” and she wouldn’t need to go downstairs with the window right there. 
I wouldn’t be surprised is she does interact with Kamala’s family it just hadn’t occurred to me until other people mentioned it. 

15 hours ago, Dani said:

No, I didn’t mean fly off to resume what she was doing. I meant that she realized the switch happened and flew off to find Kamala at wherever she was. I saw it as, “oh, shit, I have to get to this child I just switched places with immediately” and she wouldn’t need to go downstairs with the window right there. 
I wouldn’t be surprised is she does interact with Kamala’s family it just hadn’t occurred to me until other people mentioned it. 

As ridiculous as it might seem, figure right now Carol's best guess could be that her unknown "superfan" somehow brought her to that room.  I looked around the scene when Carol arrived (the same way the camera mimicked Carol looking around at all the art) and I didn't see any pictures of Kamala and especially not Kamala with the Bangle. 

So Carol's going downstairs to find the fan and/or somebody that can tell her WTF just happened.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've just caught up with this and thought it was decent.

Kamala Khan is an absolute delight and the actress playing her is excellent. Also thought Bruno was great. Nakia (I think that's Kamala's friend's name) is beautiful.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 2
On 7/19/2022 at 10:05 AM, johntfs said:

People generally aren't coldly logical perception/deduction machines - especially when their kids are missing. 

But they have no reason to assume Kamala is missing-- yet. As far as they know, she's in her room. The "intruder's" first introduction will startle them, but they've got plenty of practice dealing with the unexpected. 

--

I was surprisingly satifsied by this finale. I really didn't think they could tie things up enough to end without seeming abrupt, but they did a great job.

I did wish they said something about where Bruno was living and how he was managing now that his home and business were smithereens. But they at least showed he's okay and he's going to Cal Tech, which I know is the right thing for him, and probably a good message about not being a co-dependent, but I have to just trust that's not the last we see of him.

I love how love and friendship was such a strong theme throughout the show. 

Kamran bouncing from Bruno to Red Dagger amuses me. Just keep passing him around! 

Aunt Ruby saying "she'll have a hard time finding a husband" cracked me up. First of all: just that she was focused on that. 2nd: actually, Kamala is drowning in suitors. And why wouldn't she be?

I loved Zoe saying Kamala deserved the right to tell people when she was ready. Coming out is a choice! Respect it!

I had no idea who the blonde was at the very end, and I don't know what the significance is of being a mutant, but I was still able to enjoy the show. Is there a Marvel Universe quick guide somewhere? If not, I'll muddle through and just not try to understand all the details. I really don't think I have the time to follow all the different heroes and backstories-- it's a lot, and I'm very late to the party. But if I can't catch up, I'll just tag along.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, possibilities said:

I had no idea who the blonde was at the very end, and I don't know what the significance is of being a mutant, but I was still able to enjoy the show.

The blonde is Captain Marvel, first seen in her MCU movie of the same name. This is the Captain Marvel that Kamala has been hero worshiping since the first episode. Y'know, in retrospect it is a bit of a shame Disney didn't make a Marvel Studios Legends mini-ep about Captain Marvel yet. Presumably there'll be one a week before The Marvels (the upcoming movie that's basically Captain Marvel 2).

Actually, in the comics, Captain Marvel used to go by "Ms Marvel". So there's more of a connection to how comics Kamala straight up stole Captain Marvel's old superhero name, even if it was mostly unused at that point. (Also there used to be a completely different character going by Captain Marvel. Comics can be complicated.)

Mutants are a huge thing in the Marvel comics, sometimes called the Marvel Universe, or "MU". (The "Marvel Cinematic Universe" added the 'C' to help differentiate from the comics continuity.) As a business matter, 20th Century Fox had licensed the X-Men IP and effectively all of mutants from Marvel, years before Marvel Studios ever started building a shared universe of its own, so mutants haven't been a thing in the MCU -- but ever since Disney bought Fox, comics nerds have been eagerly anticipating the MCU adding mutants.

Fun fact, because of these business shenanigans, Kamala Khan was originally created in the comics as an Inhuman, a different kind of semi-secret race of humans with superpowers. Doing this meant Fox's X-men license wouldn't automatically include Kamala. But the Inhumans were never a perfect replacement for mutants and the whole "we'll just make Inhumans as popular as X-men" idea became moot anyways after the Fox acquisition. So it always would have made about as much sense for Kamala to be a mutant anyways and it's cool that the people in charge at Marvel okayed the canon change for the MCU.

Is there a Marvel Universe quick guide somewhere?

Since launching the Disney Plus shows, Marvel doles out the Marvel Studios: Legends episodes before most of their movies or TV shows as a sort of "previously" for the larger meta-show that is the MCU. They're five minute clip shows to refresh people's memories without watching the whole previous movie, but you could also watch them as a replacement for watching the earlier stuff. Except, as I said, they didn't make any to set context for this show. And there probably won't be a mutants one since mutants haven't been a thing in the MCU yet.

But if I can't catch up, I'll just tag along.

Which is totally fine! I've watched almost all the MCU stuff except some of the early phase 1 stuff (Hulk, Thor 1 and 2) and I've never really felt like I missed a whole lot even when they reference stuff from those movies or revive entire dangling plot threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1