Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Homo Cantus

• Start Topic

June 21 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT) - Episode #3001 - "Homo Cantus" - SEASON PREMIERE

After being blamed for the death of the vice president's daughter, the witches leave the army behind and become fugitives - but staying out of trouble is never easy. While Raelle and Scylla enjoy their reunion, Nicte tempts Tally with a new power.

• Love 1

Where did all them white women come from 136.455 years ago? That was long before humans migrated out of sub-saharan africa.

It really doesn't make much sense that our protagonists don't change their faces and for how many times they lampshaded it, I don't think they ever actually gave a satisfying explaination. The only real explaination is: "We don't want to recast our actors for most of the season."

Wasn't it said last season that Alder created the fungus? Now it's suddenly the source of their power and is spanning the whole world (since it's seemingly continuous from the US to spain I assume it's everywhere)? That also means that the vice president and his crew trying to poison it, isn't really a creadible threat. Something so big can't be poisoned. Unless they meant a disease to kill the fungus, but then why would they say poison?

• LOL 1

Did Scylla do some kind of "work" to convince her old flame to get lost? That girl did a complete 180 in personality.

I'm glad they remembered the "union of earth and sky" thing and I'm interested to see what that all means.

I'm also excited to see Tally really come into her powers.

After the Storm is up:

• Thanks 2
8 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Where did all them white women come from 136.455 years ago?

This show has really good ideas but the producers have made it clear who they think the story is about and for, and who they feel it’s not. Like I said good ideas but sadly, the creators’s lack of racial sensitivity has held this show back from being great.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2022 at 3:36 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

Wasn't it said last season that Alder created the fungus? Now it's suddenly the source of their power and is spanning the whole world (since it's seemingly continuous from the US to spain I assume it's everywhere)? That also means that the vice president and his crew trying to poison it, isn't really a creadible threat. Something so big can't be poisoned. Unless they meant a disease to kill the fungus, but then why would they say poison?

I honestly can't remember and regret not rewatching last season before this one started lol. As to the poison/disease thing, we also have to remember that the now President and Camarilla are supposed to be the ones "curing" the nation of the witches, so semantics might be too much to ask for from them. It could just be a word choice on the part of the writers to emphasize that viewpoint, I mean Camarilla dude's whole speech was very "let's go believers, we got some witches to kill".

I thought the episode was pretty good (excluding the whole 6 witches thing), it held my attention. The only thing that seemed really out of place was Adil essentially being all "let's have a baby". Bro, I know you gotta think of the good things since you're on the run and being hunted, but definitely not the time and place. Their whole roleplay scenario/ banter was super cute until then though. I am really hoping that the whole union of the earth and sky thing was not gonna be based on a literal baby, but I am starting to feel dumb for hoping that it just meant Adil and Abigail's bond/ connection would help her unlock her full potential. *rolls eyes* I mean... the Camarilla would care more about the Bellweather bloodline mixing with Adil's first ones/earth/ whatever his tribe's name was line, right? They were specifically targeting Bellweathers last season, even the ones that had latent witch genes. Why have Abigail turn out to be a super witch when we can have super witch baby. :(

On an unrelated note, of course Tally is gonna get duped by Nikta already. I swear, if she's not long conning Nikta, I'm just gonna start fast forwarding her scenes.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:36 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

It really doesn't make much sense that our protagonists don't change their faces and for how many times they lampshaded it, I don't think they ever actually gave a satisfying explaination. The only real explaination is: "We don't want to recast our actors for most of the season."

Even with that and the in-universe excuse that the face they change to would have to come from someone the Spree killed (at least I think that's the issue? I haven't rewatched season 2 since it first aired), you'd think they'd at least get different haircuts/-colours and makeup so they're not recognizable at literally first glance...

I wish they'd put a little more effort into showing Tally's slip-up - unless I missed something, didn't that just look like a woman leaning way too far over the roof's edge? Odd, sure, but nothing to suggest witchcraft, I think. The government is also letting those Dodgers have an awful lot of time to escape after they've already been discovered.

Despite all that, I'm so glad this show is back! I don't think I've ever seen a similar mashup of magic/military/AU tropes, and I hope we'll get a satisfying final season.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, silverstream said:

Even with that and the in-universe excuse that the face they change to would have to come from someone the Spree killed

That's just a rumor. I guess you could take Scylla denying it this episode as her lying, but we actually saw her turn into a woman who was still very much alive last season. So you basically just have to have seen somebody to replicate them.

2 hours ago, silverstream said:

you'd think they'd at least get different haircuts/-colours and makeup so they're not recognizable at literally first glance...

That would at least be a good compromise. Or make something up, where they use an altered version of the work, where they see each other as they really are, to make it less confusing for each other, since they need to change faces regularly. Of course, we the audience would then be in on this exception. We would be reminded of other characters seeing them different, by seeing somebody else's face in mirrors every so often. This isn't hard to do and has been done before. Really weird that the writers did go for "we are going to be dumb!" instead.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:25 AM, ursula said:

This show has really good ideas but the producers have made it clear who they think the story is about and for, and who they feel it’s not. Like I said good ideas but sadly, the creators’s lack of racial sensitivity has held this show back from being great.

I don't follow the meta. I just don't like if shows are this historically inacurate and the fact is, there were no white people 136.455 years ago. White skin is an evolutionary adaptation to the winters in europe, where our bodies can't make any Vitamin D. So white people don't exist before humans leave sub-saharan africa.

• Love 1