Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Summer Nights

• Start Topic

It's Belly’s 16th birthday and her best friend, Taylor, arrives in Cousins to help celebrate. Belly’s birthday is always her favorite day of the year, but this year she’s blindsided by a secret Taylor has been keeping from her. The debs ask Belly who she’s bringing to the debutante ball. Laurel and Susannah's secret finally comes to light.

Original airdate 6/17/22

Not that any of these characters is deep, but is it me, or does Belly's friend seem especially shallow?  She asks Belly to always be her best friend and castigates her for thinking only of herself, and I'm thinking: "Why not?"  What does the friend do other than spout cliche sexy teen dialogue ("Doesn't she look like a snack?").  She has no personality.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

Not that any of these characters is deep, but is it me, or does Belly's friend seem especially shallow?  She asks Belly to always be her best friend and castigates her for thinking only of herself, and I'm thinking: "Why not?"  What does the friend do other than spout cliche sexy teen dialogue ("Doesn't she look like a snack?").  She has no personality.

The friend (I forgot her name) confuses me. She advises Belly to be more of that "cliche sexy teen", and when Belly starts to somewhat take that advice, she isn't happy?

• Like 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

So the mothers of these high school teenagers are freely okay with them drinking and smoking... interesting.

Really, really okay with it.  To the extent (spoilers for next episode - well not really)

Spoiler

they get drunk on their dad's 20-something year old girlfriend's margaritas

and none of the parents manage even a cursory "You shouldn't be drinking at your age."

Edited by Brn2bwild
2 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Really, really okay with it.  To the extent (spoilers for next episode - well not really)

Reveal spoiler

they get drunk on their dad's 20-something year old girlfriend's margaritas

and none of the parents manage even a cursory "You shouldn't be drinking at your age."

When the blonde mom is painting Conrad's portrait she basically tells him that he's not gonna sit around all summer drinking and smoking, and instead, he will get a job. I probably had the most confused face ever, because there is not an ounce of "you're 17 (or 18) and you shouldn't be drinking at your age" or anything like that.

At the dinner, everyone, including the moms, is laughing about the boys getting drunk off of White Claws...???

bunny-what.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)

Am I supposed to be rooting for Belly (I hate this nickname, BTW) and Conrad?…’Cause I’m not! He’s an asshole and comes off as creepy and controlling. That scene where he touched her hair a few episodes back and told her it was always messy like a little kid’s was majorly weird. 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has a problem with this show. It plays like the fantasy of a teen. No responsibility. Tons of freedom. Allowed to drink and smoke weed in high school with no consequences. 

And the dialogue. Oh wow the dialog. I don't remember which episode but Belly tells one of the douche brothers that she thinks her mom "got railed" tonight. Who talks like that about their mom? Who even wants to think about their parents having sex?

• Like 1

I found it interesting in this episode where the moms see Cleveland in the bookstore getting ready for his TV interview. Laurel notices that he might be looking good but then says she saw some thing about his ex in The Times (must have been a guy) so she figures he’s gay. Then Susanna says something like no he’s not gay. He’s bi. Wonder if that will come into play in season two, as well as possibly for Jeremiah.