Type keyword(s) to search

The Midnight Special: Shine Your Light On Me!

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I had a hard time deciding if this topic was meant to be here, but since it was a show based entirely around music, I made an executive decision.

I grew up on The Midnight Special (1972-1981), it was part of my pop culture.  Friday nights couldn't come fast enough for me. 

The unique thing was that for most of it's run, musicians that were guests of the show played live.  For the time frame that was pretty rare.

Wolfman Jack was an icon, and back when DJ's were IT, he filled the role well.

As I was making a compilation list this morning, I came across some footage of America doing Sister Golden Hair on the show.  That isn't an easy song to do live, yet they nailed it.

Anyone else have memories of The Midnight Special they would like to share?

• Love 2

I have no memories, but I've recently discovered The Midnight Special on YouTube, and it was amazing! So many great artists giving outstanding performances. I found out about it because of this:

I've never seen a full episode of the show. Did they have more than once musical act each show?

I remember that episode!  This show was must see TV in my teenage years.  I only started watching when I was about 14, so I missed quite a few of the early years, but they did reruns, so I caught up.  I actually watched this more than Saturday Night Live at the time.

It usually had a musical host and then a few acts.  If you go to TheTVDB.com you will see who in hosted, and then who was playing during the show.  There was a time period when Helen Reddy was the only host, but then they went back to a format that worked.  Toward the end, it got more into having actors as hosts, but still, it was great.  The main reason is that most of the time, it was live.

If you go on that link I posted at TheTVDB.com, you will see names that are kind of remarkable.  Just a great pull of pop culture from the 70's.  Yeah, my era of music for sure.

You mentioned in one of your compilation list you like David Bowie:

The list on that website is out of control, @BizBuzz! It's funny that you mentioned this topic because I got lost on YouTube one night for hours looking at footage from this show (that Bowie performance among them) and I was floored by the talent presented. I suppose Later with Jools Holland is similar, but you just can't beat that lineup from the '70s. Also, not for nothing, but Bowie's outfit in that vid looks like striped candy--it is fabulous!

• Love 1

Also, not for nothing, but Bowie's outfit in that vid looks like striped candy--it is fabulous!

No joke right?

I don't know if it's because the 70's were my growing up period (was born in 62), but I find music since then incomparable <-- is that the right word to use?

Today it's about voice pitch correctors and synthesized sounds.  Nothing beats a live band in my opinion.  I think the 70's were the last era for that kind of performance (come on, live Peter Frampton???) music.  Just a bunch of musicians on a stage doing music.  Wow, those were the days.  Now it's all about flash and lights and fireworks. 

And with that, an ultimate performance by a master:

10+ minutes of sheer perfection.

• Love 1

I don't know if it's because the 70's were my growing up period (was born in 62), but I find music since then incomparable <-- is that the right word to use?

Today it's about voice pitch correctors and synthesized sounds.  Nothing beats a live band in my opinion.  I think the 70's were the last era for that kind of performance (come on, live Peter Frampton???) music.  Just a bunch of musicians on a stage doing music.  Wow, those were the days.  Now it's all about flash and lights and fireworks. 

So true. I guess the early '90s brought back some of that late '60s/'70s live garage feel, stripped down without all the BS. Pop music these days is pretty dreadful, though. Autotune is evil and must be destroyed. The fact that they let Frampton play live for 10 minutes is so fucking awesome --pardon my French! I kept stumbling on Top of the Pops whenever I was looking for '80s bands live, and it was so horrible with all the lip synched performances. That show was garbage.

'70s Lindsey with the fro and beard? A Divine thing.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

I know right?  I wonder if it has anything to do with the rights of the music.  So many shows that played current music, when they are run in syndication, the music changes.  I know WKRP had issues with that, so I am assuming it's an issue.

However, LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND:

http://insidepulse.com/2014/08/14/the-midnight-special-chimes-in-september/

I am so saving up for this, you just KNOW it has to be great!

AND HEART!  How could I have forgotten about Heart!  They need to go into my concerts of the 80's!!!  Great finds @Jeebus Cripes

All I know is that as an East Coaster, the show didn't actually come on until 1am so I missed practically everything because I dozed off.  My favorite band was Queen and they just sent over videos anyway (way before MTV) but it took me years to finally see their "You're My Best Friend" on tape.

• Love 1

About half of the bands on TMS didn't actually perform on the set. There were a lot of videos that appeared on TMS and other shows to the point where you got sick of seeing them (ex: Elton John & Kiki Dee- Don't Go Breaking My Heart) over and over.

Edited by MrsEVH

Midnight Special was my babysitting show. The kids I babysat were in bed, parents weren't home yet, and I watched that. This was before VCRs, and watching your favorite bands in a semi-sleepy state was surreal. I remember a video of Rod Stewart "I Was Only Joking":

and George Harrison "Crackerbox Palace":

• Love 2