7. Minoli De Silva (Faves)
  8. Jenn Lee (Fans)
  9. Melanie Persson (Fans)
  10. Ali Stoner (Fans)
  11. Matt Landmark (Fans)
  12. Harry Tomlinson (Fans)
  13. Steph Woon (Fans)

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Harry's actually gone?  Did I really just see that happen?  I mean, they probably would have still tried to save her if she hadn't been in the bottom two with Daniel but worst luck for her, he's become more of a favourite than she was and honestly, they absolutely made the right decision because Harry's dish looked horrible and apparently tasted bad too.  I don't know what she was thinking but I think the worst thing the show did to Harry was give her an immunity pin right off the bat because I think it inflated her ego to an unrealistic degree.  She's got a lot to learn but I think she has the makings of a reasonable cook.

@SnazzyDaisy, when Aldo started cooking yet another simple dish from his homeland that his Nonna would make, I pictured you throwing things at your telly. 🤣

If anyone was wondering about the song MPW was bantering with Julie about...

And here is the recap.

Today's challenge is to listen to Marco tell a story and somehow still be alert enough afterwards to make a dish. 

BAHAHA! He does have a very portentous way of speaking!

Julie is extremely excited to have Marco here. "I've watched him for years and years," she says, adding, "in a non-creepy way". It's uncertain whether we should believe her on this point or not. Meanwhile Billie is remembering when she encountered Marco on her season, and learnt how much fun it is to be bullied in public. From the balcony Keyma offers advice, yelling, "Use a knife Billie!" She does not, however, specify what she should use it for…with tragic results.

Dan begins to sing "How To Make Gravy", an apt choice given that all the cooks are, essentially, in prison. As Marco stalks the kitchen staring unnervingly at people and waggling his spoon in the manner of one anticipating an imminent disembowelling, Aldo adds his secret ingredient: tears. As Marco and Jock tell him, his dishes always taste better when he cries.

😂

Tommy may well be in trouble, his only hope being that Harry might be worse than him. Harry is, after all, cooking flounder, which is not a vegetable and therefore deeply confusing to her. "I can't serve Marco Pierre White overcooked fish," she says, but she's selling herself short: I truly believe she can.

Zing!

The first dish to taste is Julie's fried chicken. She admits to hoping she will not poison Marco. Marco admits to being madly in love with her. Julie loves him too. They collapse into each other's arms. "Your sauce is deliciously sticky," Marco says to Julie, which is weird because he hasn't started her dish yet. Overall Julie's fried chicken is excellent and Marco is taking her away to his private island.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was holding my breath at the end and hoping that the little montage Harry got meant that she was going home.  I would have been devastated if they sent Daniel home instead.  I'm sure Harry's been kicking herself ever since for straying from what she does best.  I am glad she did.  I am happy to see her gone.

I knew what song Marco was referring to as soon as he mentioned it.  I remembered that it was Bobby Sherman who sang it, and that I was in high school when the song came out.  Nice to know it was a hit outside the US.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I cannot believe it‼️ They finally sent Harry home. She should have gone weeks ago. The judges must be so devastated since they have to choose between their 2 pets. 🤣👍🏻

It is another underwhelming Marco’s episode with uninteresting pantry. 

Watching Jock in this episode was like watching a parrot. He repeated mostly what Marco said and kept following him around, again. I want to see Marco with Andy or Mel.

Why Aldo keeps asking the ladies to taste his dish? Ugh.

It’s about time we see Aldo cooking Vietnamese and Tommy & Alvin cooking Italian. 

11 hours ago, katisha said:

@SnazzyDaisy, when Aldo started cooking yet another simple dish from his homeland that his Nonna would make, I pictured you throwing things at your telly. 🤣

Almost @katisha, almost. Thank god he didn’t cry this time. If he did, I will definitely throw something or scream into my pillow. 😂 

Screenshot this, 2 persons are obviously missing.

ETA: 1x will be eliminated tomorrow and 1x will have immunity from Sunday’s elimination.

Spoiler

No Daniel. No Steph.

12E37D42-ACE9-47BD-AA2A-9BE5FA609B6A.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1

Perhaps it was an unfortunate choice for me, a person becoming fatigued by this season, to return to this episode after skipping several. Much of the food did look great, but the episode was so long that I almost fell asleep watching it. I can only imagine how long it took to film--certainly long enough for something horrible to happen to Marco Pierre White to cause him to begin speaking like this:

“You’re very brave. To make a pie in one hour fifteen is logic of the madhouse. But you achieved it. The rough puff is very nice. The pie mix itself, what I can tell by the flavor of the mince, it doesn’t have the . . . the flavor of a braise. It wasn’t in the pan long enough so it wasn’t fried long enough. But again, you’re being dictated by time. You knew that the pastry would take X amount of minutes to cook in the oven so that dictated how long you cooked the mince for. And so, therefore, you rushed your mince. It’s amazing we’re eating a pie after one hour fifteen.”

The editors should have cut to scenes of epic confusion, dismay, and surreality during that monologue.

On the positive side, it was a good elimination for me and the show is shaping up to have a top five (or so) that I think I'm going to really like, even if Tommy's in it, but I'm going to be optimistic and assume he won't. I just hope we get to the top five before the end of August.

• LOL 1

Hey look, Aldo is cooking from his heart and soul once again. If only the other contestants were as respectful and humble with their cooking as he is, maybe they would cook a beautiful dish too.

The editing sucked once again. I wish they would have cut out Aldo completely or Julie-Marco bonding time and have it spent on more reunion time with Marco and Billie.

Billie and Tommy's dishes looked mouthwatering and scrumptious.

Aldo's dish was hideous. It looked like tongues licking half cut lemons.

I liked Alvin's dish but prawns with egg floss and a sauce in 75 minutes seems like poor time management.

• Like 1

My eyes hurt after only seeing all that smoke in the kitchen during that episode so I can only imagine how the contestants/judges/camera crew must have felt! Pretty sure that guy's been on the show previously but I think they did his challenge outside, which would have made a lot more sense.

Rare to see Billie stuff up like that but nobody really wants to hear a knife slamming into a plate when cutting into a dessert that's usually quite soft.  I think we can all be pretty sure she'll be absolutely safe tomorrow, though, and Alvin performs surprisingly well in challenges so I think he will be too.  I'd prefer Montana to go because Tik-Tok Influencer (I don't think I need any other reason!) but I'm not that attached to Steph, either.  I have to say, the Fans have mostly been a huge letdown this season and if it weren't for the producers' machinations, most of them would have been eliminated way before top 12.

• Like 1
(edited)

The queen of burnt & charred veggies has missed the burnt mystery box. How ironic! 😱

Alvin continues to be relatable - “Everyone can burn things unintentionally!” 😂

OMG! I love, love, love Dave Pynt. The best guest judge so far. Better than Marco, in my book. He gave good criticisms. Love seeing how he talked to the contestants, guided them, encouraged them. He seems like a good mentor and a nice guy. Don’t get me started on that leather apron that he wore, so masculine! ❤️

Of course Sarah has been to Dave’s stylish restaurant - Burnt Ends in SG. 🙄

Apparently the tandoor from last week’s masterclass has extended its stay, ready to be used by Sarah. I am more anxious watching her running in the kitchen than seeing all the smoke. Thank god her Van Cleef bracelet didn’t fall off into the tandoor during the chaos.

Andy is such a drama queen. Hard parfait, raw eggplant, bla bla bla. The struggle is real, yeah we get it Andy. Am pretty sure you have put other worst things in your mouth before dude! 🙄

Jock was kind of mean to Alvin with “welcome to bottom 4” remark. He felt bad about his dish already and has apologised for it.

Am not worry about Billie and Alvin in the next pressure test. We know who’s going home based on the preview.🤞🏻

ETA: Based on the v2 intro of the top 12, am guessing none of the eliminated contestants will be absorbed.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, katisha said:

I have to say, the Fans have mostly been a huge letdown this season and if it weren't for the producers' machinations, most of them would have been eliminated way before top 12

I have to agree with you.  I thought this was a pretty weak group of amateur cooks, but I think maybe we were spoiled after last season.  Since we didn't see the auditions, I also wonder what they cooked to get into the top 12.  It makes me think of that awful season 5, where they brought 22 people into the room on day 1 and said "congrats, you're our top 22."  We know how that season turned out.  I'm not saying this season is like that one, but it's difficult to imagine any of the 4 remaining "fans" making it to the final.  Unless of course the show makes sure one of them does.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Of course Sarah has been to Dave’s stylish restaurant - Burnt Ends in SG. 🙄

The crew must constantly have to repair holes in the floor from all the name dropping she does!

• LOL 1

How the fuck did Daniel escape the bottom 4? His lamb fat wasn't rendered down properly aka. not enough char on his lamb. He didn't execute the brief properly. Meanwhile, they put Billie into the bottom 4 when her peaches were considered the best use of fire of all the dishes and stunningly delicious. 

Absolute fail on the judges' part. 

• Applause 1
7 hours ago, ppl said:

How the fuck did Daniel escape the bottom 4? His lamb fat wasn't rendered down properly aka. not enough char on his lamb. He didn't execute the brief properly. Meanwhile, they put Billie into the bottom 4 when her peaches were considered the best use of fire of all the dishes and stunningly delicious. 

Absolute fail on the judges' part. 

I think they only did that so they wouldn't have 3 fans in the bottom 4.  Billie has probably done more pressure tests than anyone else in the competition.  My sense is that they used her as a place holder, because they were fairly confident that she would nail it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Aha! Now I know why the judges put Billie in the bottom 4 instead of Daniel. It’s all for the rating baby!

I really enjoyed this Tipomisu episode just because I love Billie. I love watching her so laser focus, working clean and systematically. When Andy said “am going to leave you to it”, Billie happily replied “please do”. 😂 Billie takes the pressure out of a pressure test.

After so many seasons, the producers should have known that this is not a pressure test. It’s a comprehension test. Melissa’s words were so annoyingly flowery and really sounded pretentious. I’d prefer Nigella’s description (of her Toasted Marshmallow and Rhubarb Cake) in S13/E05. But thank god they didn’t ask Andy to write the description. The 4 contestants would end up making something else with his limited vocabulary. 🤣

A lot of brownies have been wasted in this challenge. The contestants had to make a full tray of brownie but they only needed a skinny ring of it for plating. Why? The middle, squidgy part of the brownie is the best! Damn. Personally, I prefer the classic tiramisu than this Tipomisu.

Alvin tried hard to hide his imperfect chocolate disc but failed miserably while humble-bragging about his half-Italian partner.

How old does Montana think she is - “since I was young”???

Aldo’s delayed reaction when Steph told him about missing vanilla in the brownie, that’s funny. He thought she has completed everything.

Daniel loves attention. He tried hard to steal some screen times from the gantry, cheering loudly and making lame dad joke. Dude, STFU. 🤫 

18 hours ago, katisha said:

The crew must constantly have to repair holes in the floor from all the name dropping she does!

Hahaha, true that! 😂👍🏻

There are quite a lot of comments on Twitter from angry Indians. They said the dish that she made was not Frankies, it’s not even Kathi roll as she first claimed. If Sarah wins this season, there’ll be more angry tweets and curses. 

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1
31 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Alvin tried hard to hide his imperfect chocolate disc but failed miserably while humble-bragging about his half-Italian partner.

That didn't bug me as much as Montana claiming she could temper chocolate with her eyes closed because she's done it SOOO often. 🙄 Which is why she stuffed it up the first time?

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, katisha said:

That didn't bug me as much as Montana claiming she could temper chocolate with her eyes closed because she's done it SOOO often. 🙄 Which is why she stuffed it up the first time?

She did it the first time with her eyes opened, that’s why! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, katisha said:

Doesn't it seem like every time they show someone bragging like that, they stuff up?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I think they only did that so they wouldn't have 3 fans in the bottom 4.  Billie has probably done more pressure tests than anyone else in the competition.  My sense is that they used her as a place holder, because they were fairly confident that she would nail it.

I don't believe that. I think they knew what was coming and wanted to save Daniel from doing the pressure test. They knew that he would have to cook a dessert with only a review against people who have made desserts before. He even said himself that the review is hard to decipher.

The way the judges talk about Billie is the same way people talk about bringing down Goliath. They don't really like her and want to send her home but can't do it.

It's those biases that some viewers can see through and be turned off by when someone is being unfairly criticized or conversely praised for their dish.

This season is critical for these judges. The ratings are way down even with the return of the favourites. People are up in arms about almost every judging decision already. If they choose an "unworthy" winner, it will accelerate the decline of Masterchef.

At least Billie had the top dish once again. 

• Like 1

It's a bit late but here's last night's recap.

Montana has never made a tiramisu before, but she claims to have been making brownies since she was 12. As evidence, we are shown a picture of Montana aged 12, holding a small white dog which was presumably the brownies' key ingredient. Meanwhile Steph is worried because people are starting to call her "the cake queen" and she doesn't realise they're being sarcastic.

😂

Montana's chocolate is not tempered properly. She doesn't know why. "I know I can temper chocolate with my eyes closed," she says, which is where she made her fatal mistake: she kept her eyes open. Jock and Andy visit her bench to tell her that her chocolate isn't right, which she already knew. She thanks them for their invaluable assistance. "I want to prove to them today that I'm here for a reason," Montana says, that reason being to promote her TikToks.

That's exactly what you said, @SnazzyDaisy!

Steph is worried because her brownie is still in the oven and everyone else has already gone home for the day. She asks Alvin how much is in a shot of coffee, and he tells her, which I'm fairly sure is cheating. Suddenly disaster strikes. "Shit," says Steph, destroying her reputation as the Good Girl of MasterChef. She has not put a vanilla bean pod in her brownie. She tells Alvin. Alvin can't really help her with this. It's true what they say: there is a limit to Alvin's usefulness.

He's getting Aldo and Alvin mixed up.  I have been known to do this too.  They look nothing alike, obviously, but their names are too close!

"You brought so much into this kitchen," says Jock to Steph, who he vaguely remembers having seen once. And then off she goes, triggering mild sympathy from all.

• LOL 3

If she wasn't such a millennial and a TikTok influencer, I might have felt quite sorry for Montana tonight.  It was almost comical when Jock and Andy were asking about the main course.

J&A: So, do you have any ideas about the dish?

Montana: Um... um... *crickets*

I certainly would not want to attempt to lead a team containing bossy Mindy, bossy Sarah and Aldo, who's the bossiest of them all.  I would be flat out doing that now at my age.  At Montana's age they would have run right over the top of me.  

But then that bullshit story the editors tried to tell about Montana's "redemption" as team captain was ridiculous.  Mel comes in and gives her a pep talk and suddenly she starts gaining confidence in herself, having a real influence over the dishes and running the show, right?  Except that's not what happened at all.  The red team made an effort to pretend she was being given a chance to speak up but I don't think they took any notice of her.  And why would they?  This is what happens when you put "fans" up against people who have their own restaurants or run restaurants such as Mindy, Sarah and Aldo.  They're really not going to take your direction.  Daniel looked uncomfortable in that team as well and didn't seem very happy throughout the challenge.  In fact, the only fan team member who doesn't seem overawed by it all is Keyma.

Meanwhile, the brown team never had a chance with raw seafood, chalky risotto, and a rare misstep by Billy in making what sounded a very weird dessert. And they only had one fan, Keyma, but Tommy isn't in the same league as Julie or Billie or Michael.  

• Love 1
(edited)

What a boring service challenge, and a boring episode. Hate it, too much Montana. The redemption arc that the producers/editors have carefully curated for her is a f-king joke. No one will believe her “transformation” from a lousy leader to a motivated one within minutes after pep talk with Mel. We barely saw Keyma today because of this TikTok girl.

Tommy acting like a headless chicken and Mindy’s voice were annoying. Hope Tommy will learn from today’s mistakes and broaden his repertoire. As a team captain, he should’ve checked how the seafoods were cooked before service.

Julie shouldn’t have left the risottos on the stove just to help with the entrée, a terrible mistake.

Sarah was so stingy with her entrée, paid customers will be pissed to be served that. Hey Sarah, what is “umaminess”?

And Daniel talking about foods synergy? For real? 😱

At this level of competition, today’s service challenge was meh and disappointing, just a filler episode! 👎🏻

ETA:

Tommy jinxed everything‼️

488CA103-1F6E-4E0D-AB2A-C12E4100202C.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 2
(edited)

Michael with the dad jokes. Julie with her best Marco Pierre White impersonation. Tommy teasing Michael. Brown team is ready for a comedy tour.

The Brown team switching the entree and main course was a disaster. I think, if they had kept the order of dishes the same, they would have scraped out a victory in the end. 

17 hours ago, katisha said:

and a rare misstep by Billy in making what sounded a very weird dessert.

Beer and chocolate do go well together. It's been done before on Masterchef. Pistachio is a common dessert flavour so I can see how it all worked together. Maybe she put too much beer in the crisp or the blackberries didn't work together with the rest of the dessert?

Edited by ppl
  • Love 1

Well, that was a bit painful with both RBF and Montana in the same immunity challenge.

RBF: "I've just introduced a RANGE OF FLAVOURED POPCORNS to GOLD CLASS CINEMAS IN INDIA!  I should have this challenge in the bag!"

Montana: "There couldn't be a more "me" challenge than this! I've made choc tops SO MANY TIMES at home!"

Montana's even got Keyma drinking that Kool Aid.  "Montana could make ice-cream with her eyes shut."  Don't encourage her, Keyma!

So even though I think it's absolute bullshit that Daniel "won" that challenge, it was still a marginally preferable result than RBF or Montana winning it (but both of their ice-creams looked and sounded nicer to me).

And again, Ben's recap is a tad late.

Jock informs them that the hotel has an Italian restaurant upstairs and a Japanese restaurant downstairs. The contestants' job is to build a German restaurant next door to complete the Axis.

😂

Meanwhile, Montana is made captain of the red team, so naturally Sarah takes control while Montana stands at the back trying to be as quiet as possible. The red team has a lengthy discussion about what dishes to cook, its captain fulfilling her duties by letting them.

Accurate!

Billie is in charge of the brown team's dessert, and she is combining chocolate, pistachio and beer, a cunning move because if people hate pistachio and chocolate the beer will ensure they don't care. As she works on the dessert, captain Tommy has a brainwave: why not make the entrée main and the main entrée? He asks Julie if that's OK. Julie agrees. "I actually think that works better," she says in a voice of pure terror. Michael thinks it's a great idea too, and Keyma agrees to not have a speaking part in this episode.

Yeah, it might have been nice to hear a word or two from poor Keyma.

Melissa pops into the red kitchen to find out how Montana is dealing with the burdens of captaincy. It turns out she's dealing with them pretty well, mostly because she hasn't taken any of them on. Melissa gives Montana some helpful advice on how to run a kitchen, drawing on all her years of experience of being a food blogger. 

The reds present their main, which is beef and mushrooms with string on top. The judges love it, and the redemption tale of Montana, the girl who just stood by and watched cooks screw up but who learnt to be a girl who just stands by and watches cooks do good things, is complete.

😂

• LOL 2
(edited)

I take it back! I take it back! I definitely do NOT want to see Daniel in the finale. He is annoyingly insufferable. He talks too much because he thinks he is so damn funny. He always uses this "I don't know what I am doing" schtick. Ugh. 😣

At this stage of competition, these 2 rounds of challenges were so basic and simple. If you have deep knowledge of popcorn flavors and you can make yummy choc top, you are qualified enough to be in the top 10, yay! 🙄

I wonder if Billie and Reynold take part in this challenge, what will be the flavor of their choc top.

Jock telling us he never had a choc top before is such a BS.

Various degrees of blatant arrogance from these 3 amigos! 🙄

Sarah:

"I just invented a whole bunch of popcorn flavors for the cinemas in India. I actually do all the gold class cinemas food in India. And just recently I brought out my own range of popcorn flavors. So I should have this in the bag."

Montana:

"This challenge is probably the most ME challenge that we have in this competition so far. I have made quite a few of waffle cones at home before and they are definitely tricky thing to get perfect. I actually have this exact waffle cone maker at home. So yeah, it is a little bit of advantage up my sleeve that I had practised with this before."

Daniel:

"Bacon is going to either ruin this whole thing and be this weird, wacky idea OR it’s going to be this naughty, sinful dessert. It’s a textural journey, that ice cream."

PS: I swear Daniel has been spending his time reading Mel's write-ups.

And Michael's face says it all... 🤣🤣🤣

Michael on Sarah V3.jpg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Presenting... the amazing Sarah Todd! 🙄🙄🙄

I get a real "spoiled rich girl" vibe from Sarah. I just don't think most people who start out modelling would be able to reach a position where they can open multiple restaurants in another country. Surely good looks can only get you so far!

• Wink 1
36 minutes ago, katisha said:

I get a real "spoiled rich girl" vibe from Sarah. I just don't think most people who start out modelling would be able to reach a position where they can open multiple restaurants in another country. Surely good looks can only get you so far!

Sarah fully utilises the MC platform to her advantage and she may be very good at networking, self-promotion etc. Maybe like Andy, she co-owns those restaurants with some wealthy & generous silent investors. She also dated famous people after MC - F1 driver, India’s filmmaker etc. 😆

Re her passion for Indian cuisines, at what point does cultural appreciation become cultural appropriation? I have no idea…

• LOL 1

RECAP:

The first contestant who made it to the Top 10 is Daniel, thanks to his "You're Bacon Me Go Nuts". Geez, didn't see that coming!

giphy.gif

Veggies queen and cake queen went home, whatever...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

MC kitchen was overwhelmed with fire, smoke and burnt smell this week, thanks to Dave Pynt.

giphy.gif

Me, not so much Marco. He cries a lot, almost every f-king week!

giphy.gif

But Sarah Todd loves him. BFF forever, awwwwww!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah, we saw a lot of Sarah this week. More stories on India, Gold Class cinemas there, and her microwave popcorn line.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Montana was heavily featured too. She told us about being rejected by George Calombaris in MCAU audition years ago. She tried to convince us that she can cook savoury, she can lead a team of experienced cooks and she can make choc top with her eyes closed, it's her ME challenge! Hmm okay Mon...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Julie was feeling very confident and tried to break MC curse by making risottos, in a service challenge. Sad to say, she failed!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Tommy secretly fangirling Billie. It's okay Tommy, we do too!

giphy.gif

Billie continues to impress us, she is "un-flusterable" in MC kitchen. She slayed the Tipomisu challenge.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jock's Multiple Personality Disorder has been exposed! We saw a mean Jock and a clown Jock.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

~ The end ~

• Love 1

I can't imagine the choc top tie-in people saw much of a market for a brown butter fig ice cream version, but then again I'm not Australian, so who knows? Still, my immediate thought was that the sponsor is going to have a word to say about who the winner is, and it's not going to be that. (That, and that this was a really dumbed down challenge, and that yet again I'm not going to be the slightest bit interested in checking tenplay for a recipe. Usually I clip a bunch of them but this year I think I've read one or two and clipped none. I already have a good quick cheat recipe for kulfi and see no reason to even look at Sarah's version, and if I want a peanut butter based ice cream, I'll buy it, not make it.)

Oh well. All good things must come to an end, and I think MCAU is heading there, at least for me. 

(And I think Keyma didn't get featured in the challenge because it seemed her teammates only let her chop things up for them and the like. She's a good sport about it but It must be a bit disappointing to not have the chance to do more.)

• Applause 1