Type keyword(s) to search

Don't Forget The Lyrics (2022) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, blackwing said:

I watch online and use the +15 seconds button a lot when watching, I didn't realise that the guy's name is actually Sunshine, I thought that was just a pet term that Niecy was using for him.

Sunshine was his nickname (it was revealed and she asked about it at beginning), but I could only remember that and not his real name when I was posting.

It probably is possible that they tailor the categories for the particular contestants.  Until this episode, I thought that they included alternative for every contestant in the hopes of tripping them up, but I don't think it was on the board for either one.

It seems like a lot of contestants try to save back-ups for later (except for ones tripped up on the first song), but it was a bad idea at $25,000.  At the next level it would be fine, but she did all that for nothing.  After she talked about helping with hurricane recovery and then didn't know the words I hoped she would walk.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Misspelled word.

Two enjoyable contestants this week, the soldier/beauty queen and the energetic woman with the large Filipino family.

The soldier was too confident in her choices.  She looks to be in her 20s so between Green Day and the Rolling Stones, I can't really fault her for picking Green Day.  But then she didn't know any of the four words.  She should have used the missing words hint first.  Instead she brings up her best friend, who looks like she is in her 50s.  One look at the friend and I knew she absolutely would have no idea about Green Day, she would have been more suited for the Rolling Stones song.

I did feel bad for her about how much she gushed that she loved Usher and couldn't get that chorus right.  I don't even like Usher but I've heard that song so many times that even I know the lyric is "dance dance like it's the last last night of your life life".  There's a repetition of words three times, don't know why she thought the last word was girl, especially since she's such a big fan.

The second lady, I loved her energy.  I felt really bad that she and her friend had the "Soak Up the Sun" lyrics correct but she chose to walk away and lost out on the additional $15,000.  She was clearly crying as that was revealed, the money would have meant a lot to her family.

• Like 4

I think maybe the second contestant's friend, Tia, should have been the one competing, as she's the one who actually knew the lyrics--at least for the songs that happened to be choices.

It kind of bugged me on the song the contestant (who did seem fun and bubbly) did know, "On Bended Knee," that the show listed the line "the way things used to be" as "the way things use to be."  That is how it's listed on lyrics sites online, but that is not the expression.  I even double-checked with a dictionary site now to make sure I wasn't just losing it.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

The moral of this episode is NEVER pick Pop because it could be ANYTHING!

Apparently even boy bands is suspect... I was expecting Backstreet, N*STINK, or maybe BTS Dynamite.  Wasn't expecting to see Boyz II Men or Hanson.

The song choices they had for "Party Songs" was also suspect.  I was expecting something like "Party Rock Anthem" or "Mony Mony".  Like something that really gets the crowd in a party screaming and dancing.  Not the two they had instead.

I'm apparently old.  I was screaming out the lyrics to "The Sign" and "Kokomo", I can't believe the contestants had to use hints for these.

I liked the first singer, he was a great singer and had good energy and stage presence.

Lizzo's new man is "in" the Minnesota Vikings?  Someone is "in" a band, but "on" a team.  I felt bad for this lady but she wasted all of her hints on "Kokomo".

• Like 3

On this week's episode, I found the first guy annoying.  I didn't like his voice at all.

I liked the second singer, she had good energy.  I was laughing at her doing the "Everybody" Backstreet Boys dance.

She got to the guaranteed $25K but then she got stuck on "Super Freak".  Not sure why the show chose a "To Be Continued" for this episode, when she's out of life lines and she's clearly wrong.  It's not "the kind of girl you read about in those nude magazines".  It's "the kind of girl you read about in new wave magazines".

It'll be really anti-climactic in the next episode if she sticks with "nude magazines" only to crash out immediately.  I'm hoping she has an epiphany and gets it right, because I'm really curious about "Yacht Rock".  I feel like I've seen this category on this show before and I still don't know what it is.  Is it songs that you would feel at home listening to on a sailboat or on a beach?  Like "Come Sail Away" by Styx?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

It's not "the kind of girl you read about in those nude magazines".  It's "the kind of girl you read about in new wave magazines".

This is kinda unfair for the contestant.  They should have added an extra blank so she would have a chance to get it, but now they're going to say new-wave is one word?

16 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

This is kinda unfair for the contestant.  They should have added an extra blank so she would have a chance to get it, but now they're going to say new-wave is one word?

I'll have to watch again, but I think they did have blanks counting new and wave as two words?  The contestant is thinking the answer is "in those nude magazines" but it's "in new wave magazines" so I thought the blanks matched up to treat new and wave as separate words.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 8/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, blackwing said:

because I'm really curious about "Yacht Rock".  I feel like I've seen this category on this show before and I still don't know what it is.  Is it songs that you would feel at home listening to on a sailboat or on a beach?  Like "Come Sail Away" by Styx?

You might think so, but no, Styx isn't yacht rock. Awhile back, without knowing the precise definition but having a vague sense of it, I told my co-workers that yacht rock was "schlocky music from the late 70s and early 80s". They were kind of offended, lol. When I think of the epitome of a yacht rock artist Christopher Cross comes to mind.

Oh, here you go, this is pretty interesting:

https://www.houstoniamag.com/arts-and-culture/2019/07/this-is-the-definitive-definition-of-yacht-rock

• Useful 3

I'm glad that the backup singer (Jenny, I think) was able to help Debbie get through the $25,000 song.  It would have been sad if she had ended up with nothing, although I wouldn't have wanted to listen to her singing for too much longer.  Then of course, it ends up with the second contestant doing all that for nothing.  I hope her parents didn't get their hopes up about the tuition repayment.  She had a good attitude afterwards though. 

This show is entertaining, but it's too bad that unlike Beat Shazam (or the smaller payout on Name That Tune) there is seemingly next to zero possibility of anyone winning the million.  Half the time, the contestants struggle to even get to the $25,000.  It also takes the drama away (if there is any) when the description will often say that there are two contestants in the episode.  I don't look it up, but the TV page in the newspaper (that I read for comics) always gives it away.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

This show is entertaining, but it's too bad that unlike Beat Shazam (or the smaller payout on Name That Tune) there is seemingly next to zero possibility of anyone winning the million.  Half the time, the contestants struggle to even get to the $25,000. 

Totally agree!  And since they don't even announce the category of the $1,000,000 song beforehand, it would probably be something totally obscure anyway.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I'm glad that the backup singer (Jenny, I think) was able to help Debbie get through the $25,000 song.  It would have been sad if she had ended up with nothing, although I wouldn't have wanted to listen to her singing for too much longer.  Then of course, it ends up with the second contestant doing all that for nothing.  I hope her parents didn't get their hopes up about the tuition repayment.  She had a good attitude afterwards though. 

This show is entertaining, but it's too bad that unlike Beat Shazam (or the smaller payout on Name That Tune) there is seemingly next to zero possibility of anyone winning the million.  Half the time, the contestants struggle to even get to the $25,000.  It also takes the drama away (if there is any) when the description will often say that there are two contestants in the episode.  I don't look it up, but the TV page in the newspaper (that I read for comics) always gives it away.

I found the first singer to be incredibly annoying.  She was a terrible singer and it seemed to me that she drank too many cups of coffee before stepping onto stage.  If I had my druthers, first woman would have gone home with nothing and second woman would have gotten money.  I felt bad for the second singer.  I liked her energy and singing.

I agree that this show seems impossible.  I only vaguely remember the first time this show was on the air about 15 years ago.  Has anyone even gotten close to the $1 million?  If you get to the step right before the million, then you can chance it and go for the million, but if you are wrong, you get knocked down to $25,000?  Do they even at least tell you what the song is before you try it?

• Like 4

The Wikipedia page says that about half a dozen people (including Boyz II Men and Meat Loaf in celebrity editions) have gotten the next to last song right.  At the time, it was $500,000 instead of $250,000 like it is now.  Kimberley Locke from American Idol (she gave me a shout-out during an Idol tour concert because I made a sign for her) apparently was the first to attempt the million song, but didn't get it.  She got $100,000 for charity.  It also lists a regular contestant as trying but getting it wrong.  It says that the later episodes of the first primetime edition added a guaranteed $100,000, but I think that may have been after this contestant based on the date, so she probably fell to $25,000!

It says that in the original show, the million-dollar song is supposed to be a number one hit from one of the nine categories the contestant has played, but they have to decide whether to try it without knowing what song it is.  Based on the way it's written in the article, I think that still applies to this show (?) because they outline differences between the two shows.  Like in the original, they could only reveal two words instead of three and had to use them in the same song.  But they had a "three lines" backup where they were given multiple choice of three possible lyrics with one of them correct.  It sounds like the original show was easier and more generous, and yet still no one won the million then!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Contestants are just playing for the 25k.  Wish they hold change it up.  Also I don’t get how TPTB Determine how many words are needed. I’ve seen contestants in the early rounds only have to do three words some have to do four.  I know in  the later rounds that they have to know more words but it just doesn’t seem like there’s any consistency in the lower rounds.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 3:52 PM, opus said:

In the season finale, a rare save by the friend.

I think you're talking about the friend knowing the words to "Waterfalls".  This episode last week was the season finale?  I don't think the Fox site identified it as such.  I know that episodes can be aired out of filming order but at the end of this episode Niecy specifically says "next time, more singers, more songs, more missing words and one million dollars on the line!"  If this was indeed the season finale, they could have edited that out.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think you're talking about the friend knowing the words to "Waterfalls".  This episode last week was the season finale?  I don't think the Fox site identified it as such.  I know that episodes can be aired out of filming order but at the end of this episode Niecy specifically says "next time, more singers, more songs, more missing words and one million dollars on the line!"  If this was indeed the season finale, they could have edited that out.

I was basing it on that my onscreen guide had it labelled as Season Finale.

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1
On 9/17/2023 at 9:17 PM, Diana Berry said:

Contestants are just playing for the 25k.  Wish they hold change it up.  Also I don’t get how TPTB Determine how many words are needed. I’ve seen contestants in the early rounds only have to do three words some have to do four.  I know in  the later rounds that they have to know more words but it just doesn’t seem like there’s any consistency in the lower rounds.

The number of words doesn't seem to matter as much as what words are needed. 

The early rounds tend to look for words from an early verse or the chorus, the lines that tend to become earworms. So often times they're easy to nail and the contestant will go on for a few lines after because of how confident they are.

Later rounds tend to look for lines deeper in the song, in the later verses and almost never part of the chorus. Those are lines that people tend not to be as familiar with, and by requiring more words (6-9 words) they tend to have less context to work with as well. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 9/21/2023 at 12:48 PM, Taeolas said:

The number of words doesn't seem to matter as much as what words are needed. 

The early rounds tend to look for words from an early verse or the chorus, the lines that tend to become earworms. So often times they're easy to nail and the contestant will go on for a few lines after because of how confident they are.

Later rounds tend to look for lines deeper in the song, in the later verses and almost never part of the chorus. Those are lines that people tend not to be as familiar with, and by requiring more words (6-9 words) they tend to have less context to work with as well. 

Thanks make sense

• Useful 1

The season premiere will now air May 23.  (The season finale of Farmer Wants a Wife  in that time slot is a week later than scheduled because one episode got pushed back in favor of a TMZ special about Kate Middleton.)

• Like 1

So they still won't give a guarantee at any point other than $25,000, but they have at least increased the number of words a contestant can have filled in (from three to five).  This should help out some of the contestants who get nervous and have to use some up on the first song, and should decrease the number flaming out with nothing.  (And having to go to fewer contestants will make it easier on their editors when putting a whole season together.)  It was helpful to the contestant in the premiere (though he got a couple songs on his own after backups were gone), but they often pick an episode featuring someone successful for the premiere, so I don't know if it will be the norm. 

It was probably for the best that he had no idea on the $150,000 song lyrics so that he could easily bow out without any second thoughts.  I don't know that Dua Lipa song even though I like her, so I would have ended up with the Lewis Capaldi song just because I hear it sometimes on Soft Rock when I'm trying to take a nap.  But I don't know it that well either.  And it didn't matter because he picked Weezer, but 3 Doors Down has never been alternative. 

5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

It was helpful to the contestant in the premiere

He was a nice, personable guy but unless I misheard didn't he say he and his friend met in chorus? All I kept thinking during the show was "This guy was in chorus?"🙄

• LOL 1

He was a strong contestant no doubt, and very expressive and charismatic; so a perfect Season Premier contestant.

Really I could've sworn they had Chris Pratt up on stage because his expressions and looks reminded me a lot of him. 

Some easy categories to pick at times; really "Eye of the Tiger" vs literally anything else is always going to be Eye. Weezer vs 3Doors Down is a tougher call.

And those final two songs, I had no clue. I don't know any Dua Lipa songs at all. Granted there was another one I had no clue to either; basically my music listening stopped in the 2010s at the latest. So anyone newer than that and I'm screwed. 

• Like 2