S14.W06 (E25-E29)

• Start Topic

(edited)

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Faves

Week 6 (May 22-26, 2022)

E25:  Two Cuisines Immunity Challenge

E26:  Maggie Beer’s Mystery Box

E27:  Josh Niland's Pressure Test

E28:  Team Challenge (Boujee Food on a Budget)

E29:  Air Fryer Immunity Challenge

Eliminated  

1. Chris Tran (Fans)
  2. Dulan Hapuarachchi (Fans)
  3. Max Krapivsky (Fans)
  4. John Carasig (Faves)
  5. Christina Batista (Faves)
  6. Sashi Cheliah (Faves)
  7. Minoli De Silva (Faves)
  8. Jenn Lee (Fans)
  9. Melanie Persson (Fans)

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Thank GOD the teams crap is over.  I for one won't miss it.

Enjoyed tonight's challenge more than I thought I was going to and it seemed to produce some really interesting and creative dishes.  Glad Sarah won but if she's managed to start a few restaurants in India already, she probably isn't so much in need of the 10K.  Mind you, since the main two things I would add to a drinking game for this season are Melanie mentioning "coeliac" and Harry mentioning being poor and on the minimum wage, I'm glad Harry didn't get it.  

Are we thinking tomorrow's episode is an elimination?

I am happy the teams are over as well.   I wish they had shown at least a glimpse of everyone's dish to see what ideas everyone came up with.  Oh well.  I enjoy cooks like this because nobody is stressed about elimination.  Now that it seems they have changed the mystery box to a elimination potential dish, it's taken the joy out of them.  Maybe they'll keep switching things up in that regard.

I looked up fried milk balls, because I have never heard of them.  So now I know they are a type of dough ball.  I I suppose it's an ok substitution for ice cream, which is the main ingredient in a sundae, but the chocolate syrup goes on before the whipped cream! 

• Love 1

Last night's recap. Some more funny bits!

Twenty minutes in and it's time for Harry to mention how poor she is. She really needs that ten grand, as it will enable her to buy thousands of new vegetables to shove down her housemates' throats. She is combining Chinese and American cuisines in a dessert she calls "nuclear tensions sundae".

Steph has decided to fuse Japanese and Australian cuisines, and so has Mindy. Their dishes are very different, but they have one thing in common: they sound disgusting. Why "Australian" was even on the table is a mystery, as Australian cuisine has always been notable for not existing.

Yess! Glad he said that!  We don't really have a cuisine style but I'm fairly sure that if we did, it wouldn't include Vegemite custard (yes, I'm side-eyeing you, Steph!)

Keyma is combining Chinese and Caribbean flavours, as her two greatest loves have always been dumplings and pot. Julie, on the other hand, is combining Indian and Lebanese: she wants to prove to the judges that she's not stuck on dishes she's cooked before, but can also make something really pointless on command.

Interesing little bottom four we've got after that mystery box challenge.  Even though Billie seems a bit distracted at the moment (probably being a new mum with a two-year-old doesn't help) I doubt she's going anywhere any time soon.  I would be perfectly OK with Harry going, but I don't think that's happening either.  And out of Melanie and Matt, that could go either way.  Matt seems to have some good ideas but doesn't execute them that well at times, and Melanie lacks confidence when cooking anything that's not gluten free.  

Not everyone on this forum seems to like Maggie Beer but I'm definitely a fan!

• Love 2

I was disappointed that they did not at least show everyone's dishes after the mystery box.  I guess we have to consider that a good thing, in that, if their dish is not shown, they are not in trouble.  

I think Billie will be ok.  I agree that it's probably going to be between Matt and Melanie, though I would be ok with Harry leaving.  They did show her in tears during the pressure test, but we know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I have no problem with Maggie Beer, but I'm wondering, was verjuice a thing before hers?  I didn't realize she had her own brand.  I do enjoy watching her as a judge on Great Australian Bake Off.

• Love 1

Wow! Additional, blatant products placement - Verjuice and Vino Cotto.

Terrible editing of E26. We didn’t even get to see what Michael, Julie, Tommy, Ali and Keyma cooked. You only have 16 contestants left and you managed to edit out 5 of them. Yet you focus too much on Melanie, Daniel and Harry. Ugh. 🙄

I like seeing Maggie Beer on my screen. She gives me a nice grandma vibe and provides constructive criticism. She also puts in effort to know the contestants by name, unlike AWT. And most importantly, she is always smiling and doesn’t have a Resting Bitch Face like AWT.

Am I the only one who finds Mindy too bubbly and chirpy for tv? Is she angling for her own cooking show or something? 🤔

Mindy has found the key to cooking her best!

I hope Billie will get her mojo back for tomorrow’s pressure test. I really want to see Harry goes but I know that won’t be happening. So it’s between Matt and Melanie. Please be Melanie. Please be Melanie. 🙏🏻🤞🏻

• Love 1

To be fair to Melanie, I thought she might try and suggest that her being unable to taste the pastry was what caused her to have a bad day but she didn't, thank heavens.  And again, I keep getting stuck on this coeliac thing.  It's not like I don't know people who have food intolerances but what would really have happened to Melanie if she'd tasted a couple of tiny crumbs of the pastry?  You don't need to eat an entire loaf of bread to find out what it tastes like.  My understanding of being coeliac is that you would need to eat more than just a tiny bit to experience any really awful symptoms - is that right?

Glad to see Matt have a good result in the challenge.  I quite like him, even though I doubt he'll last much longer in the competition.  Unfortunately Harry will, I think, but maybe being in a couple of eliminations will bring the ego back into check a bit.

Meanwhile, here is the recap.

This tweet got the biggest laugh from me!Andy.thumb.jpg.ea1db9bbfd8a281a78f6b4c1d440afe2.jpg

• LOL 3

I am happy that Billie survived.  I remember that she was in a few pressure tests in her season, but I didn't realize it was 6 until she told Matt on the way to today's cook.  Billie and Melanie didn't weigh their fish, but Melanie's seemed to be quite a bit larger than Billie's.  However, I believe her tuna was cooked, it was just her pastry that was too thick.  Everything else tasted good to the judges, and Josh hated Harry's gravy, which affected the taste of the dish, so I'm not really sure why Harry didn't go home.  What am I saying?  They didn't want to send Harry home.  I don't know what it is, but Harry is the only contestant this year that I would like to see gone.  Hopefully way before the end.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, katisha said:

I keep getting stuck on this coeliac thing.  It's not like I don't know people who have food intolerances but what would really have happened to Melanie if she'd tasted a couple of tiny crumbs of the pastry?  You don't need to eat an entire loaf of bread to find out what it tastes like.  My understanding of being coeliac is that you would need to eat more than just a tiny bit to experience any really awful symptoms - is that right?

I don’t think she can even lick the dish. She may have diarrhoea, painful bloating and vomiting quickly after eating gluten.

You don’t want to risk triggering your autoimmune response to gluten and your body starts attacking itself. Long term, there’s an increased risk of anaemia, other autoimmune conditions, certain types of cancer and intestinal wall damages that could lead to some parts of bowel removal.

Melanie told in her IG that she was able to taste the mashed potato and mushroom duxelles, these were prepared separately for her.

Melanie’s IG post on Tuna Wellington Pressure Test!

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
Added in a tweet!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

No way Matt deserved to have Dish of the Day with that Tuna Wellington he served up. His looked the worst out of all of them. A Wellington is supposed to have the defined layers of protein/mushroom duxelles/pastry. His Tuna Wellington had a few chunks of mushroom duxelle missing and it looked like the mushroom duxelle was going to run out onto the plate on one of the sides of his pastry. His tuna was also more cooked than Josh's. These errors should have been factored into the decision for Dish of the Day.

Meanwhile, Billie had a bigger piece of tuna than Josh's and her crepe didn't wrap around the whole tuna but her tuna was raw in the centre and she had defined layers of her Wellington. I would pick hers over Matt's any day of the week! I get the feeling that the new judges don't really like Billie for some reason. Then again, I also felt that Gary didn't like Billie either.

Before I watched the episode though, I actually went onto Twitter and they had a post up about picking out Josh's Tuna Wellington from a lineup. I chose Billie's dish as being Josh's! Talk about plating better than the guest chef!

Oh look, Harry cries and gets another free pass. How many times did the judges come over to attempt to save her? Just get off my screen already.

16 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I am happy that Billie survived.  I remember that she was in a few pressure tests in her season, but I didn't realize it was 6 until she told Matt on the way to today's cook.

I went back and checked this since I was curious too and she was only in 5 pressure tests (4 if you exclude Heston's finale pressure test dish -- Marcus Wareing's Braised Veal, Darren Purchese's Passion Flower, Keeping up with Marco (no elimination), Brett Graham's Flame Grilled Bonito). Fun fact: she had the top dish in all of them.

Edited by ppl
  • Love 1

@ppl Thanks for taking the time to look that up!  Perhaps what I heard her say is that this was her 6th.  It seems she does count the last one of her season.  It's no surprise that she was top dish on all of them.  She's a phenomenal chef, and always very cool under pressure, or at least most of the time.  She's one of my favorite winners of all seasons.

• Love 2
(edited)

A service challenge again??? Where’s invention test?

Hey Billie, you should not take any advice from poor Harry, now you have pissed off Jock with those sliced grapes!

Michael is such a great leader and a good narrator too. Impressive‼️ When the judges complimented him for his leadership, that was a subtle dig to Sarah.  🤣

For someone who owns several restaurants, Sarah is a shitty leader and team captain. You don’t have to micro manage and teach your teammates the French techniques all the way. You should work around their strengths. Keyma and Daniel kept asking Qs because Sarah didn’t communicate well. Did Sarah think she’s too good to be working with the Fans? 🤔 

For a team led by a Le Cordon Bleu-trained captain, these are their boujee dishes??? 🤦🏻‍♀️

2684A7E5-0F56-4406-B5C1-3E17C438E3DA.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Where’s invention test?

If you're talking about the Sunday elimination, they didn't do that this week.  They had the immunity challenge for a pin instead.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, babs1226 said:

If you're talking about the Sunday elimination, they didn't do that this week.  They had the immunity challenge for a pin instead.

To date, we haven’t seen any invention test yet. It is always the service challenge, sometimes twice a week.

Last season, they had Vegetables Invention Test in week 6.

• Love 1

@SnazzyDaisy Perhaps they will do something similar later in the season, maybe in place of the mystery box.  I think of the mystery box as an invention test, so I don't really miss the other.  They have had more service challenges so far, probably because of the two team thing.  Now that it's done, maybe they will vary things.  I did like the fact that this service challenge was for immunity and not for elimination purposes.

• Love 2

Is anyone even slightly surprised at who won immunity tonight? No, me either.  Moving on...

Coming to the party a little late re last night's episode (had a rare busy night by my quiet standards) but the recap from the "bougie" (how do you even spell that weird word) challenge is a good one! 

They head to stately Werribee Mansion, which is right next to Werribee Zoo. They could've gone to Werribee Zoo and done a challenge where they have to choose between making lunch for lions or gorillas, or a challenge where they had to cook what they could successfully hunt. But no, the producers don't believe in fun, so they just go to this old mansion.

Meanwhile on the pink team, Sarah has been made team captain because she trained in fine dining at Cordon Bleu, a background that stands her in good stead as she gets to work telling everyone about her fine dining training at Cordon Bleu. With ruthless efficiency she instructs the rest of the team to ensure that by day's end not a single diner is left not knowing that Sarah trained at Cordon Bleu.

Some of the orange team begin removing the beards from the mussels using straight razors, while Julie and Michael work on the chicken for the orange main course. "Bonin', bonin', bonin'," Julie sings, her mind clearly on far more enjoyable things.

From the yellow team Aldo calls out to Julie to ask how she is. "You've gotta laugh or you'll cry," Julie replies, the true darkness at the heart of human existence having hit home sometime in the middle of her boning song. She continues to prep her chicken despite now fully understanding what a terrible exercise in futility it is.

The pink team serves their main. Sarah suddenly realises that pulled meat isn't very fancy, and could in fact result in an indecent exposure charge. Still, too late now: she'll just have to hope the judges remember she trained at Cordon Bleu. The judges taste the pink team's pulled beef and find it deeply offensive to both palate and moral sensibility. Melissa sadly observes that the beef is glossy, yet still somehow unsatisfactory.

A lot of Greeks have commented online that Julie’s dish is not Spanakopita, it contains no spinach. It’s supposed to be called Tiropita.

But hey, since it is Julie, the judges went along with it! 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

A lot of Greeks have commented online that Julie’s dish is not Spanakopita, it contains no spinach. It’s supposed to be called Tiropita.

Not to mention the packet filo pastry!

• LOL 1
(edited)

RECAP:

Fans and Faves combined, finally!

giphy.gif

Sarah got lucky with extra airtime this week, won $10K and her first immunity pin in the 2 cuisines challenge. Then she got to humble-brag in the Werribee Mansion team challenge about being trained at Le Cordon Bleu. Alvin even called her boujee.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maggie Beer presented her mystery box while advertised her Verjuice and Vino Cotto.

giphy.gif

The fish ninja guy returned to MC kitchen for a pressure test. He brought a dish that took him 5 years to develop. Despite encouragement from Josh Niland, Melanie's dish wasn't impressive and she has to say goodbye. It is proven again that Harry is a protected species.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Michael has shown to the judges that he is boujee enough to lead his team to victory in the boujee foods team challenge.

giphy.gif 

With some helps from air fryer and deep fryer, Julie has secured her place in the gantry heaven next Sunday. She also came up with the 2 best quotes of the week! Why some people still don't like Julie Goodwin?

Deep fryer, now we're talking baby. You don't get a body like this from eating salad.

I may get immunity, I may not. It all comes down to a bowl of balls.

giphy.gif

We have some weird dance moves again this week. Is it something in the air?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1
On 5/26/2022 at 5:11 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

But hey, since it is Julie, the judges went along with it! 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

Don't they normally go ham on people who over modify traditional dishes and say don't call it that unless it's going to be that?  Or was that just George, Gary and Matt?  

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, vmarsissmart said:

Don't they normally go ham on people who over modify traditional dishes and say don't call it that unless it's going to be that?  Or was that just George, Gary and Matt?  

Yes, they are.

Jock and Andy also like to mess up with contestants’ mind every time they want to do modern twist of traditional dishes. They did that to Kishwar in the finale and couple of weeks ago to Tommy.

Does anyone remember, in at least one original recipe season, if someone played their immunity pin, which of course they had to do before the cook, the lowest ranking contestant that was safe had to take their place?  It was probably just one season, thankfully.  I really like the way they do it now, where they can play the pin at any time, but it sucks for the other folks in the challenge.  I really like Ali, and I am sorry to see her go.  They obviously want Matt to stay, as he got the coaching about the broccoli, but I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out if he stuck with the broccoli.   

This is the first time that I can remember watching an elimination and not wanting anyone to go home, after Sarah dropped out.