Type keyword(s) to search

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)

Hiyo
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Nice that we get another movie but it will be odd without Maggie Smith.  I know she wanted to be done with the franchise so I think she was fine with her character being killed off last time.  Perhaps she can make a cameo as a voice in Mary's head or something.

I noticed that Matthew Goode's name is noticeably absent from the list of the cast.  I know he wasn't in "A New Era" because of a filming conflict.  I wish they had at least had Mary get a telegram from him saying he was coming home.

If he isn't in the third movie because of another conflict or his choice, they should just recast.  I hope they don't kill off Henry, Mary already had enough tragedy with Matthew's death.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Nice that we get another movie but it will be odd without Maggie Smith.  I know she wanted to be done with the franchise so I think she was fine with her character being killed off last time.  Perhaps she can make a cameo as a voice in Mary's head or something.

I noticed that Matthew Goode's name is noticeably absent from the list of the cast.  I know he wasn't in "A New Era" because of a filming conflict.  I wish they had at least had Mary get a telegram from him saying he was coming home.

If he isn't in the third movie because of another conflict or his choice, they should just recast.  I hope they don't kill off Henry, Mary already had enough tragedy with Matthew's death.  

Don't recast. Come up with a plausible reason why he's away, and maybe have him send a telegram or there's a phone call where we only hear Mary's side of the conversation. Acknowledge that the character exists, explain why he's away, and make it clear all is well with the couple. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Don't recast. Come up with a plausible reason why he's away, and maybe have him send a telegram or there's a phone call where we only hear Mary's side of the conversation. Acknowledge that the character exists, explain why he's away, and make it clear all is well with the couple. 

Yes but they already did that in the second movie (I forget exactly where he was supposed to be) and he didn't even call or write.  They barely even mentioned him, it was as if he didn't even exist.  If Henry is going to be away again during the third movie, then there will be the same fan questions as to why not just get rid of the character.

If Matthew Goode really isn't going to appear, I suspect they will say he is touring America with some kind of travelling car show. 

• Like 1