Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: King George

AntFTW
  • Start Topic

As John Mitchell and his subordinates struggle to manage the Watergate coverup, Martha finds herself in a dangerous situation. John Dean puts his relationship on the back-burner.

Air date: May 8, 2022

I hated the first episode of this, that female nude scene for absolutely zero reason, but the past 2 episodes have been much better.  While I think Julia Roberts adds a lot to the show, the casting of Sean Penn adds nothing for me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm having the same reaction to this ep as I did to the last one -- absolute fury at the physical and psychological abuse that Martha suffered at the hands of Nixon's political operatives.  We can't know, of course, how accurate this is but I sure am feeling a lot more sympathy for THIS version of Martha Mitchell than the one I recollect from the newspaper and TV news stories back when the Watergate scandal broke.  I cheered when she broke her jailor's finger and I practically levitated with anger when he drugged her.  Thank goodness her husband fired the ones involved.  I want to believe that the love and mutual devotion between those two is real.

As for everyone else . . . what an appalling bunch of inept and/or psycho individuals.  It's actually a bit depressing to watch.  It's also a bit depressing that there is so little discussion of the show on this board because I presume that reflects a general lack of interest in the show.  Too bad . . . there are a LOT of really talented people involved.  But Watergate was a sad chapter in our history and the aftermath dragged on FOREVER.  I have a recollection -- as a young person -- of TV coverage of the trials that just went on and on and on.  I guess I can understand why those who lived through it might not be interested in reliving it; and as for those born afterward --there have been other, more recent scandals that are probably of more interest to them.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

It's also a bit depressing that there is so little discussion of the show on this board because I presume that reflects a general lack of interest in the show.  Too bad . . . there are a LOT of really talented people involved.  But Watergate was a sad chapter in our history and the aftermath dragged on FOREVER.  I have a recollection -- as a young person -- of TV coverage of the trials that just went on and on and on.  I guess I can understand why those who lived through it might not be interested in reliving it; and as for those born afterward --there have been other, more recent scandals that are probably of more interest to them.

I'm watching and enjoying the series but with so much going on in real life I understand why this might not be attracting a bigger audience.  I don't recall any publicity for this at all. I became aware of it when I saw it featured on my Hulu homepage.  

Watergate will always be a fascinating subject for me because it encompasses so much. Political corruption.  Investigating journalism.  Mysteries (who was Deep Throat?, what did people know and when did they know it?) I was a young child when this all  happened so I have no actual memories of it so everything I know I have learned from books and movies.  I had heard of Martha Mitchell but didn't know any of this happened to her.  How absolutely horrifying for her.  

• Love 4

I feel like I looked away and missed something critical in this episode. How did we go from Dean running away from the farmer holding the gas-soaked box of papers AND covered in gas himself and the car not starting and the farmer knocking on the window with the flashlight... to everything just fine and farmer gives him a ride home? 

Because as hard as it is to believe the ineptitude of the Watergate gang, the farmer's behavior makes no sense.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm having the same reaction to this ep as I did to the last one -- absolute fury at the physical and psychological abuse that Martha suffered at the hands of Nixon's political operatives.  We can't know, of course, how accurate this is but I sure am feeling a lot more sympathy for THIS version of Martha Mitchell than the one I recollect from the newspaper and TV news stories back when the Watergate scandal broke.  I cheered when she broke her jailor's finger and I practically levitated with anger when he drugged her.  Thank goodness her husband fired the ones involved.  I want to believe that the love and mutual devotion between those two is real.

As for everyone else . . . what an appalling bunch of inept and/or psycho individuals.  It's actually a bit depressing to watch.  It's also a bit depressing that there is so little discussion of the show on this board because I presume that reflects a general lack of interest in the show.  Too bad . . . there are a LOT of really talented people involved.  But Watergate was a sad chapter in our history and the aftermath dragged on FOREVER.  I have a recollection -- as a young person -- of TV coverage of the trials that just went on and on and on.  I guess I can understand why those who lived through it might not be interested in reliving it; and as for those born afterward --there have been other, more recent scandals that are probably of more interest to them.

I think the fact that its on Starz is a problem. It just doesn't have the reach of HBO or Netflix. I had to subscribe so I can watch it. Starz has a rep for mainly housing old movies. 

Frankly I see many parallels between Watergate and what has happened since. But as someone who us of the age where I saw Watergate and The Clinton impeachment and recent events, I'm interested. But when I asked my kids, ages 33 and 24 if they were interested, I swear I saw their eyes glaze over

• Love 3
On 5/10/2022 at 2:07 PM, poeticlicensed said:

I think the fact that its on Starz is a problem. It just doesn't have the reach of HBO or Netflix. I had to subscribe so I can watch it. Starz has a rep for mainly housing old movies.

I subscribe to ~8 different channels, but I never subscribed to Starz until yesterday Did so just to watch Gaslit but would not have done so without the $3/month/6 months deal. Why isn't this series on a more popular channel? Odd.

• Love 1