Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Bully

secnarf
  • Start Topic

I'm currently almost done with my second time through the series, and I've also become addicted to YouTubes of other people watching the series for the first time and reacting. There's something I haven't heard any of them mention, and something that isn't articulated in the series that I feel is important. Tao feels betrayed that he's the last to know about Charlie's relationship with Nick. And that's valid, and maybe Charlie was holding back on telling him because of the tension in their relationship. BUT Charlie actually didn't tell anyone else either. Isaac found out because he walked in on them in the nurse's office after the rugby match. Tara and Darcy found out because NICK told them. Elle found out because NICK told her. Charlie is respecting Nick's coming out process and closet by not telling his friends. Nick chose to tell some of them, when HE felt comfortable. Maybe after the milkshake date, Charlie should have asked Nick if it was ok to tell Tao? But I feel that Charlie is getting a lot of blame for something that was most likely rooted in respect for Nick, and not because his friendship with Tao was strained.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 5/16/2022 at 8:17 AM, lovett1979 said:

I'm currently almost done with my second time through the series, and I've also become addicted to YouTubes of other people watching the series for the first time and reacting. There's something I haven't heard any of them mention, and something that isn't articulated in the series that I feel is important. Tao feels betrayed that he's the last to know about Charlie's relationship with Nick. And that's valid, and maybe Charlie was holding back on telling him because of the tension in their relationship. BUT Charlie actually didn't tell anyone else either. Isaac found out because he walked in on them in the nurse's office after the rugby match. Tara and Darcy found out because NICK told them. Elle found out because NICK told her. Charlie is respecting Nick's coming out process and closet by not telling his friends. Nick chose to tell some of them, when HE felt comfortable. Maybe after the milkshake date, Charlie should have asked Nick if it was ok to tell Tao? But I feel that Charlie is getting a lot of blame for something that was most likely rooted in respect for Nick, and not because his friendship with Tao was strained.

I wish Charlie had made that more clear. Nick was not even out to his mom yet. Why would he want to be out to a guy who has always been hostile to him? Isaac found out by accident (although he suspected anyway, because he notices more than people think). Tori knew because she's also attentive, and Charlie basically just confirmed it but he knew it would go no further and her knowing would not affect Nick. Everyone else, it was Nick's choice when he was comfortable having them know this about him. As Charlie agreed to. So suck it, Tao. Grow up and stop being peevish. You shouldn't be antagonistic to people and then expect them to tell you sensitive personal things.

• Love 5

I agree about Charlie's reasons for not telling Tau, and that Tau needs to get over it. But I also applaud Tau for how much he genuinely cares about Charlie, and makes a real effort to stick his neck out if he thinks it will protect him. He's wrong about how he does it sometimes, but it's still gutsy.

• Love 3