Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Chapter 6

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Man, poor Hana. Getting AIDS would be a bitch at any time, but in the 80s…thank God that one doctor was willing to treat her in a separate ward. The fact that was even up for discussion is infuriating.

Who made that call that got Solomon off for shoplifting? I have quite a guess...

The fact that Solomon’s dad and Hana’s mom have are together (married?) does make their relationship a little squicky, but whatever.

I like that Isak is starting to loosen up, wear casual clothes. Getting into politics on the other hand might not be a good thing.

So Hansu is an asshole to his wife too because she didn’t give him a son. Color me not surprised. Sunja dodged one hell of a bullet.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Man, poor Hana. Getting AIDS would be a bitch at any time, but in the 80s…thank God that one doctor was willing to treat her in a separate ward. The fact that was even up for discussion is infuriating.

I was very impressed that the junior doctor contradicted his superior in front of Etsuko and Mozasu and surprised that the senior doctor relented and let Hana stay. Leaving HIV/AIDS aside, that alone took a lot of bravery, since Japanese culture is very strict about such things.

Who made that call that got Solomon off for shoplifting? I have quite a guess...

Spoiler

You're probably thinking Hansu, but I'm pretty sure it was Haruki, the man Solomon ran into in the last episode in the 1989 timeline. In the book, Haruki was a high-ranking police officer. I know on the show he is poor and living in a slum in the 1989 timeline, but it's possible he's still doing well in 1975. In the book he's a closeted homosexual, but never exposed - looks like the show changed that.

So Hansu is an asshole to his wife too because she didn’t give him a son. Color me not surprised. Sunja dodged one hell of a bullet.

Spoiler

She hasn't "dodged" him yet. When she told Hana about having ruined her son's life and having lost him - Hansu had a lot to do with that.

• Love 3
On 4/15/2022 at 6:49 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The fact that Solomon’s dad and Hana’s mom have are together (married?) does make their relationship a little squicky, but whatever.

I like that Isak is starting to loosen up, wear casual clothes. Getting into politics on the other hand might not be a good thing.

It looked as if Hana was in a STORAGE CLOSET. Although she had no business speaking to her mother and Sunja that way, we know she’s angry and dying and lashing out. As distraught as her Mom is at this diagnosis she’s probably glad she just gets to see her again. 

Solomon- I get why he’s mad, he’s been fired and blackballed from his profession, he’s embarrassed and stressed. His teenage love has AIDS and is dying, it’s a lot, but dude, you can’t disrespect your grandmother. If you didn’t want to eat the food, FINE, but stop it with the back talk. 

Hansu is a shady asshole- forever and ever amen. You’re the one that determines the sex of the baby dude!

I was asking my Mom why Kyunhee didn’t call for the midwife, they perhaps couldn’t afford one. I was glad when the neighbor showed up and helped them. Kyunhee has never had a baby and neither had Sunja. Running a boarding house, which primarily houses men, Sunja wouldn’t have assisted in births before. Baby Noa is so cute and chubby, those cheeks man I died. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was asking my Mom why Kyunhee didn’t call for the midwife, they perhaps couldn’t afford one. I was glad when the neighbor showed up and helped them. Kyunhee has never had a baby and neither had Sunja. Running a boarding house, which primarily houses men, Sunja wouldn’t have assisted in births before. Baby Noa is so cute and chubby, those cheeks man I died. 

Spoiler

Kyunghee did call a midwife in the book. I think the show wanted to dramatize how badly Koreans were treated in Japan that even basic healthcare wasn't available to them. But in the book, the Korean neighborhood had their own midwife and pharmacy, so people weren't completely without care.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:
  Reveal spoiler

Kyunghee did call a midwife in the book. I think the show wanted to dramatize how badly Koreans were treated in Japan that even basic healthcare wasn't available to them. But in the book, the Korean neighborhood had their own midwife and pharmacy, so people weren't completely without care.

Taking my reply to the book thread. 

Hansu is a piece of shit. His wife looks defeated. So glad that Sunja did not become his mistress.

Even though Hana has AIDS I still can’t summon to care about her. And it’s super creepy her and Solomon were a thing when they were step siblings, and his obsession with her when she seemed to be absolutely nuts is even worse. 
I always assumed that Solomon’s dad was Hansu’s son, but nice twist that her first kid was someone else who died earlier (I haven’t read the books yet). After reading book spoilers, I’m even more intrigued about Noa.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
On 4/21/2022 at 12:42 AM, twoods said:

Hansu is a piece of shit. His wife looks defeated. So glad that Sunja did not become his mistress.

Even though Hana has AIDS I still can’t summon to care about her. And it’s super creepy her and Solomon were a thing when they were step siblings, and his obsession with her when she seemed to be absolutely nuts is even worse. 
I always assumed that Solomon’s dad was Hansu’s son, but nice twist that her first kid was someone else who died earlier (I haven’t read the books yet). After reading book spoilers, I’m even more intrigued about Noa.

Hansu is awful. His wife is probably sick of looking at his face even though it’s gorgeous. Three children she gave him and he speaks to her that way. I doubt she wants to be married to him either. 

I am not so creeped out by Hana and Solomon- I mean of course of course she is a bad influence and he didn’t need to be stuck on her, but it appears they met as teens and it doesn’t seem that Soloman’s dad had any hand in raising Hana (he and the girlfriend are still together now but maybe they didn’t live together then), I see Hana as the slightly older “cool girl” a nerdy boy is stuck on because she was the first pretty “forbidden” gal that gave him the time of day. 

• Love 2
On 4/16/2022 at 12:07 AM, chocolatine said:
Spoiler

In the book he's a closeted homosexual, but never exposed - looks like the show changed that.

I know this is over a year old and makes no sense now to comment, but that scene where they met in the last episode made it pretty clearly so.  I caught this right away.

As long as I'm posting I'll go ahead and say how much I'm enjoying this show.  I was meh about the book but the series is fantastic.  The acting is superb, especially Sunja at both ages.  It takes my breath away how wonderful the older Sunja is.  And Solomon is darn cute.  Those cheekbones could cut you.  Boy needs a hug.

• Like 2
  • Love 1