Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Beef Bourguignon

Pallas
  • Start Topic

I love this show.  It makes me laugh and inspires me to cook. After binging the 3 episodes, I have bought everything to make Coq au vin and quiche loraine this weekend. 

The actors are fabulous I can't wait to watch the other episodes .

• Love 7

I started watching this because I wanted to get it in my "continue watching queue" before I went to bed.  I was just going to watch a bit because I decided I didn't want to dedicate a whole hour to The Dropout.

And then I ended up gobbling up all three episodes and going to bed even later than had I just watched the hour long show.  This is so delightful and each episode is the perfect length.

• Love 4

I finally finished this one, after having to get other things done. Her father was awful, geez. Paul seems to be such a decent person, and really loves her. I'd love to have a relationship like theirs. 

• Love 6

I'm mixed on the show.  I like the actress playing Julia Child a lot.  She handles the role well, and seems to be having a lot of fun playing it.  The show also has a lot of great supporting actors.  Having said that, I feel like the show gives the impression that Julia was much more naive and inexperienced regarding television and being on air than the real one was.  For example, I had read that part of her book promotion consisted of her going on multiple talk shows and doing cooking demonstrations (similar to how they do it on morning shows now), and that was what led her to do her show.  I realize it's a tv show, and there needs to be drama, etc.  I just feel like it plays a little too "it's the 60s and no one can comprehend how a woman is able to do anything outside the home, but Julia will show them all!"  

• Love 7

So, Julia asked her father for extra money to help with the show, but he first handed her a check and said: "I was gonna drop this in the mail, but now I can save a stamp this month." (Emphasis added.) So he was sending them monthly checks to support themselves?  If so, this would explain his animosity to Paul, and why he thought Paul had married Julia for her (family) money.  Did Paul know about the checks?  It certainly didn't seem like he did, or that he would have been ok with his father-in-law financially supporting them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Julia was an heiress, through her mother's family. Carolyn Weston McWilliams died when Julia was 25; she was a daughter of Byron Custis Weston, founder of Weston Paper in Massachusetts. Her mother likely left shares and funds in trust for Julia and her two siblings, administered by their father. So Paul may also have been reminding John McWilliams that he, too, could once have been suspected of marrying for money.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Pallas said:

Julia was an heiress, through her mother's family. Carolyn Weston McWilliams died when Julia was 25; she was a daughter of Byron Custis Weston, founder of Weston Paper in Massachusetts. Her mother likely left shares and funds in trust for Julia and her two siblings, administered by their father. So Paul may also have been reminding John McWilliams that he, too, could once have been suspected of marrying for money.

Or maybe the recurring checks were funds from her mother's estate that her father was required to remit to her on a regular basis, not money he was gifting her.  That makes a lot of sense, but I wish there had been a throw-away line about it.

• Like 2
  • Love 4