Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Bell

Trini
  • Start Topic

After a mishap forces her to re-evaluate her plan against Russell Tan, Nicky turns her attention to finding out what Kerwin is up to after learning he's back in the fold. Jin offers help to an old friend at the Chinatown Arts Collective, and the team makes a big move against Russell Tan.

Winnifred Jong directed the episode written by Brian Anthony.

Airdate: 3/23/2022

FNXYRnuXoAIzX2i?format=jpg&name=medium

More thoughts later; but for now:

I appreciate this show's commitment to shirtless dudes - LOL! The most hilarious example being Dennis only in the episode as a naked torso!

Wow -- really surprised that they had Nicky and Co. actually be successful at destroying the bell and getting away with it. Of course that only slows down the Tans, but a win this early is an interesting change of pace.

The Kerwin/Zhilan reunion was everything I was hoping for!  😭  Yes, including them fighting it out. There still might be hope for them.

Jin is just ... leaving the restaurant? I don't think he can realistically do that since it's a family business - but I am interested in what story they have planned for him.

Most shows, I wouldn't care about so many little side plots, but here, I actually like and care about all the characters; so it works.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Trini said:

Jin is just ... leaving the restaurant? I don't think he can realistically do that since it's a family business - but I am interested in what story they have planned for him.

His old roommate is closing the art collective... so what are they going to do with a few thousand dollars? Rent pod space at LoungR.. for a week?

This episode was really good. The last two were pretty good, but this one was definitely better. The Zhilan and Kerwin meeting was perfect, made poor Henry and Nicky's bedroom scene even duller. The father's plot was fine, I'm interested to see where they go with that. And Kerwin's sister got a bit more to do in the episode. I'm sure she was just making an excuse when she said Kerwin is her blindspot, so maybe she will play both of them to take over the business.

The one thing that took me out of the episode was when they had Nicky apologize for distancing herself from her siblings. I was like: when did she do that? They literally helped her in both episodes, it was the reason Althea left/was fired from Loungr. Maybe there was an episode or two that got cut/pushed back? It just really stood out to me since the writing has been better this season. And it might also explain why Nicky was at 12 when she was trying to stop her cousin from leaving last episode.

You know I was kinda worried that the plot with the cousin would either make Nicky seem even less important in her own show, or that the cousin would get kidnapped and we would just get to hear how Nicky has to get the cousin back for six episodes. Now that Zhilan knows of the cousin's existence, there are so many possibilities as to where the cousin plot can go. The preview for next week looks like fun! I hope Ludi isn't going to be gone for long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

At least we get confirmation that Henry actually does have a home/apartment, although part of me was kind of bummed that he wasn't just living in the library this entire time, heh.  Also, it sounds like his father could end up coming into the picture, which judging from him ignoring his texts and not telling Nicky, it certainly looks like there is some history there.

Actually didn't predict Nicky and company teaming up with Kerwin to thwart Russell, even though it makes sense that Kerwin would be totally down to pull one over on dear old dad.  Not only that, but they accomplished their mission!  Sure, it sounds like Juliette already has a backup to plan to just simply make a new bell that will have everything needed to accomplish Russell's mission, but at least that should delay them a bit.

Zhilan and Kerwin already reunite and do what they do best: fight each other, but clearly wanting to do another physical activity instead.  Oh, those two!  I'm rooting for those crazy lovebirds!

Looks like Althea wants to start her own business now which would be pretty cool.

At this point, I'm sure all of Chinatown knows that Ryan and Sebastian are hooking up someday.  Hell, maybe all of San Fransisco!

Jin is leaving the restaurant to find other ways to help Chinatown?  Not sure what is in store for him or Mei-Lei being the sole owner now, I guess. 

• Love 4

It looks like the show is finally hitting its stride.  After the unevenness of last season, this episode felt cohesive and well crafted.  I hope they keep it up!

I wasn't sure where the Nicky/Kerwin team-up was going, but it was kinda fun to see them working together.  Involving Ryan made it even more fun.  

I agree it was nice to give the protagonists a "win".  Though I wonder if there will be an upcoming episode called "The New Bell" and we'll do this all over again.  

Zhilan definitely hasn't lost her violent streak.  Sorry, Kerwin.  Trying to ruin your dad's plans with Mia isn't exactly going to hurt him more than just killing him.  Zhilan could do both... shoot him non-fatally AND ruin his plans.  

Sebastian seems a bit too old for Ryan.  I did like his and Althea's realizations about career in this episode.  I'm glad they are putting some thought into how to keep the show character-based in the side plots, at least.  

The dad/old roommate plot would have worked better if they had introduced the new character and the art collective in the first episode, then have him find out he was delivering food, and then have this episode.  The actors made this plot work even though it was totally disconnected from the A plot.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

I wasn't sure where the Nicky/Kerwin team-up was going, but it was kinda fun to see them working together.  Involving Ryan made it even more fun.  

Sebastian seems a bit too old for Ryan.  I did like his and Althea's realizations about career in this episode.  I'm glad they are putting some thought into how to keep the show character-based in the side plots, at least.  

The dad/old roommate plot would have worked better if they had introduced the new character and the art collective in the first episode, then have him find out he was delivering food, and then have this episode.  The actors made this plot work even though it was totally disconnected from the A plot.  

My first thought when Nicky asked Ryan to do the acid was that his hands would get injured. But then I was like, no that's a season 4 plot, lol.

I'm not sure what I think about Sebastian. He seems very amused by the stares Ryan gives him- if Sebastian was a player he would already be all over Ryan- but he hasn't really flirted. To me, Sebastian is coming off like he's pegged Ryan and is gonna keep him in his back pocket as a back up. I'm going to need some kind of line from him once their relationship is official, something acknowledging that he wasn't going to make the first move because Ryan is the boss' son. Because honestly, Ryan is a baby when it comes to romantic relationships, it's something that a lot of newly out people have to deal with, and Sebastian is just kind of there like a friend right now. Sebastian definitely has more experience and maturity when it comes to relationships than Ryan, so lowkey, I'm not really vibin them right now. (I'm also half expecting Sebastian to have a girlfriend, so Ryan starts dating again, only for Sebastian to get jealous and kiss him. No reason in particular, it just seems like something the CW would think is a great start to a romance.)

The old roommate plot would have been so much better if they had gone with your idea. When it was revealed that he was doing delivery, I thought we were supposed to be getting that Jin remembered just how hard up he was only months before and that he was grateful. If anything, I would have assumed that some of the other store owners would have talked more amongst each other about the Tony dude that gave out the high interest loans or the gentrification of their neighborhood, so I was confused for a minute that the show wanted me to believe they both had no idea how the other's business was going when they used to be roommates/good friends.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, william0102 said:

He seems very amused by the stares Ryan gives him

Because Sebastian is so much older than Ryan, Sebastian's looks seem very judgemental and dismissive to me (because he looks amused).  I think that's partly why this coupling is leaving me cold despite its lack of subtlety.  Sebastian definitely is perceptive, sensing that Ryan wasn't completely happy with his UCSF placement, but they're also not even close acquaintances at this point.  One thing I found strange was how Sebastian was eating and "hanging out" with the other guys from the kitchen, but those other guys don't acknowledge Ryan at all or vice versa.  Considering Ryan goes to the restaurant every day and volunteers there, that seems unlikely.  I know we can't be introduced to every supporting character, but it sort of affects the "world" they are presenting.  

I don't want to quibble too much since the writing has already improved immensely.  But another world-building situation is related to your comment about Tony's effects on the neighborhood and now the subplot with the arts collective.  Yet the lunar new year celebrations in the previous episode were still very elaborate and seemed to imply the community was still strong and vibrant.   The situation just needs a bit more fleshing out if they plan to explore it.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:40 AM, william0102 said:

The one thing that took me out of the episode was when they had Nicky apologize for distancing herself from her siblings. I was like: when did she do that? They literally helped her in both episodes, it was the reason Althea left/was fired from Loungr. Maybe there was an episode or two that got cut/pushed back? It just really stood out to me since the writing has been better this season. And it might also explain why Nicky was at 12 when she was trying to stop her cousin from leaving last episode.

I was confused about this too, whether there was some sort of time jump.  But Althea referenced the viral video being shared and getting job offers which suggests this is simply the following week.  I suppose the siblings are so close that Nicky "distancing herself" was simply not replying to texts or meeting up for 2-3 days.  Except Nicky works at the restaurant and trains at the cultural center so you'd figure they would see each other there.  

Edited by Camera One
34 minutes ago, Camera One said:
On 3/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, william0102 said:

I was confused about this too, whether there was some sort of time jump.  But Althea referenced the viral video being shared and getting job offers which suggests this is simply the following week.  I suppose the siblings are so close that Nicky "distancing herself" was simply not replying to texts or meeting up for 2-3 days.  Except Nicky works at the restaurant and trains at the cultural center so you'd figure they would see each other there.  

It definitely seems like there was a line and/or scene cut. Yeah, I'm guessing it's been a week of "distance" at most.

I found it interesting that in the Tan household, the siblings call each other "Brother" or "Sister", which makes them sound aloof, overly formal and cold.  But this is traditionally how Asian siblings address each other.  I wonder how common this is in Chinese who have immigrated to Western countries with the generation that grew up/were born in the West.  I'm not sure if it was intentional but since the Shen family siblings refer to each other by name, it made them seem more "normal".  Even though the show still does stress that the Shens do follow some traditions. 

Edited by Camera One

I definitely thought Sebastian was flirting back. He is hyper aware of Ryan whenever Ryan is around, he speaks to him in a way that's very personal, and he can't stop smiling whenever they talk.

But I think it's extremely problematic that Ryan is the boss's son. If I had a new job, I think I'd be extremely worried about immediately getting involved with anyone in the boss's family. It's extremely problematic for either him or Ryan to act on this, so being cautious and reserved and even aloof is absolutely reasonable, yet there is still a palpable tension between them and I don't think it looks one-sided at all.

I do worry that they are setting it up for failure or intrigue. Sebastian seems too good to be true, so I worry that he's not who he seems to be. But who knows? This show seems to actually set up happy relationships and they resolved the triangle with Nicky really fast. So it's possible they're not actually driving at heartbreak or betrayal. But it makes sense to take time with it, given the circumstances.

• Love 2

I thought that this was a really solid episode, this season has really been stepping things up after last season. I liked last season, it had a lot of individual aspects that really worked, but this season has been even better. Probably because we haven't had much in the way of cases of the week and are instead focusing on the mythology and the characters, which are the strongest parts of the show. It was great seeing the heroes get a real win, I am actually shocked at how well things went, but I am sure that the Tan's still have a few more tricks up their sleeves, I don't see Mr. Tan giving up easily. 

Jin leaving the restaurant seems weird, its a family place after all, but I am interested in seeing what he does next. I also liked the siblings all realizes how much working with Nicky has made them feel fulfilled. Nothing shakes things up more than helping your sister solve an ancient magic mystery. 

Kerwin and Zhilan reunite, and I cant help but root for those crazy kids. Of course they immediately start fighting when its clear they would rather be doing...something else very physical, and while things might be awkward now (she did slit his throat and all) its clear that they still have feelings for each other. It really makes me feel a bit bad for Henry and Nicky, I like them a lot but they just cant match Kerwin and Zhilan's fire. 

• Love 3

More thoughts:

I liked how well they managed to integrate most of the cast into the A-plot even though some had their own side plots going on. The regular and recurring cast is pretty large, so I'm impressed. It also helps that they don't feel the need to include everyone in every episode.

I too was glad they showed Henry's apartment! He has a home!!

Ya know, with the way they re-introduced Nicky in the premiere as Chinatown's 'superhero', I was hoping they wouldn't have her committing so many crimes this season. (This was one of my complaints last season.) I mean, they had Althea and Henry doing forgery; and then burglary, property destruction, and theft at Tan's place. Yes, it's moves against villain Tan, BUT STILL.

Jin's plot seems really disconnected from everything else, but it's cool that he's getting something to do outside the family. I hope they're able to connect his plot to the others eventually. With the way they framed Jin giving up the restaurant like a breakup, I hope he's not completely out of the family and restaurant plots for the season.

They managed to flesh out Zhilan in Season 1; I hope they can do that with the Tans also. So far, they're a little boring, but there's potential. However, Kerwin and Zhilan really have sparks between them, and I might be foolish for getting invested again - but they sucked me back in! They have great tension.

Nicky and Henry are also great, but for like the opposite reasons.

So now Russell Tan, Nicky, and Zhilan are after Mia for varying reasons. Can't wait for these storylines to converge.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:07 AM, possibilities said:

I do worry that they are setting it up for failure or intrigue. Sebastian seems too good to be true, so I worry that he's not who he seems to be. But who knows? This show seems to actually set up happy relationships and they resolved the triangle with Nicky really fast. So it's possible they're not actually driving at heartbreak or betrayal. But it makes sense to take time with it, given the circumstances.

I suppose they could throw in something to complicate things; but I think the writers are going to try and make this work since Ryan's previous love interest didn't work out. The 'dating your boss' son' issue is a big enough issue already.