Type keyword(s) to search

Pachinko in the Media

• Start Topic

Pachinko is adapted from the novel by Min Jin Lee. This is an eight-episode drama, with the first 3 episodes airing Friday, March 25 on Apple TV+, then a new episode airing in weekly installments every Friday. The series will be told in three languages — Korean, Japanese and English. 

Pachinko is a sweeping saga that chronicles the hopes and dreams of a Korean immigrant family across four generations. Pachinko is emotionally epic, and tells a gripping yarn, that is entirely specific to the experience of 20th-century Koreans in their home country and Japan but has traces of countless other immigrant experiences, forced and unforced. Pachinko is a harrowing portrait of suffering balanced against an elating tale of familial resilience and female strength. Epic in scope and intimate in tone, the story begins with a forbidden love and crescendos into a sweeping saga that journeys between Korea, Japan and America to tell an unforgettable story of war and peace, love and loss, triumph and reckoning.

The series stars:

Soji Arai as Mozasu,

Jin Ha as Solomon,

012622_Apple_Drama_Pachinko_Premiere_Glo

Inji Jeong as Yangjin,

Minha Kim as teenage Sunja,

Lee Minho as Hansu,

Lee Minho and Minha Kim012622_Apple_Drama_Pachinko_Premiere_Glo

Kaho Minami as Etsuko,

Steve Sanghyun Noh as Isak,

Anna Sawai as Naomi,

Junwoo Han as Yoseb,

Jung Eun-chae as Young Kyunghee,

Jimmi Simpson as Tom Andrews,

Yu-na Jeon as young Sunja, 

Academy Award-winning actress Yuh-Jung Youn as older Sunja

‘Pachinko’ Review: A Gorgeous Family Drama That’s the Closest TV Can Get to a Shared Memory

Apple TV+’s ‘Pachinko’: TV Review

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1

Never heard of this.

Listening to the Prestige TV podcast review by Dave Chang and David Choe.  First guy is the famous chef, don't know the other guy.  But apparently they've both lived in Japan.

They compare it to Godfather, GoT but it sounds in many ways like Roots, about racial persecution, generations of resentment and hate our to Japanese occupation.

May have to wait for it all to air and then I can subscribe to Apple TV + and catch up on several of the shows I've heard of.

But they're raving about it, calling it the best show on TV now and that seems to match up to some of the reviews.  So presumably it has appeal beyond Koreans, particularly of a certain age who either lived through some of these events or heard of them from their parents and grandparents.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 1

I’m one of the few people who wasn’t blown away by the book. I thought it had a strong first third and I loved the historical aspects but thought it lost steam as it went on and kind of ended with a whimper instead of a bang. TBH, I read mostly non-fiction, although I’m trying to read more fiction, but clearly sweeping multi-generational family sagas aren’t my thing. That being said, I’m looking forward to seeing how this transfers to the screen. 

4 hours ago, aghst said:

Never heard of this.

Listening to the Prestige TV podcast review by Dave Chang and David Choe.  First guy is the famous chef, don't know the other guy.  But apparently they've both lived in Japan.

They compare it to Godfather, GoT but it sounds in many ways like Roots, about racial persecution, generations of resentment and hate our to Japanese occupation.

May have to wait for it all to air and then I can subscribe to Apple TV + and catch up on several of the shows I've heard of.

But they're raving about it, calling it the best show on TV now and that seems to match up to some of the reviews.  So presumably it has appeal beyond Koreans, particularly of a certain age who either lived through some of these events or heard of them from their parents and grandparents.

I read the book, it’s a family saga like any other, with the back drop of big social issues, and the details and emotions of interpersonal relationships. 

I do LOVE a family saga, so I thought this would be up my alley in 2017, when I heard they were making it into a series I was legit excited.