Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Last Daughter of Uppsala

• Start Topic

This episode gave me the heebie-jeebies.  I am very conflicted about the Uppsala story line.  I knew that some of the conversion of the North to Christianity was done at sword point but you can't convert people you brutally murder first.  So we learn that the main Christian warrior had a psychotic break as a child because he saw his brother sacrificed. This was the root of his pathological hatred towards Pagans. When I watched Vikings I always hated the human sacrifice part of the Viking culture so I am not sorry that this part of Viking culture will slowly fade into history with the destruction of Uppsala.  But it is sad that the whole culture is slowly going to go and obviously I don't condone the slaughter of all the people in Uppsalla.

• Love 4
On 3/1/2022 at 1:37 AM, magdalene said:

This episode gave me the heebie-jeebies.  I am very conflicted about the Uppsala story line.  I knew that some of the conversion of the North to Christianity was done at sword point but you can't convert people you brutally murder first.  So we learn that the main Christian warrior had a psychotic break as a child because he saw his brother sacrificed. This was the root of his pathological hatred towards Pagans. When I watched Vikings I always hated the human sacrifice part of the Viking culture so I am not sorry that this part of Viking culture will slowly fade into history with the destruction of Uppsala.  But it is sad that the whole culture is slowly going to go and obviously I don't condone the slaughter of all the people in Uppsalla.

Thank you for explaining that. I didn't understand what was going on. Now it makes so much more sense. 

I don't like the human sacrifice as well. The Uppsala episode from the original series was really creepy. 

• Love 3

The show is starting to break for me. The whole Shield Maiden tournament seemed like filler and an appeasement to modern politics. Shield Maidens were not as common as this show and it's predecessor like to make them out to be. 

The Christianity and forced conversion thing is accurate but I haven't been interested in the Uppsala story line. The scenery and imagery of the Priestsess' was great but I don't go much for the hippy trippy stuff. 

Overall the Vikings would have been best served sticking to their Pagan roots as would all of Europe. 

I find myself more interested in Queen Emma out of the female characters. 

• Love 2

Somehow, I thought Queen Emma wouldn't dare to hook up with Canute.  I guess it's because of all the severe clothes she wears.  I'm surprised the Queen of Denmark is even entertaining the obviously sleazy Jarl who wants to be King of Norway.

Godwin is a survivor, the Earl who "volunteered" first to meet Canute should have just kept his mouth shut.

When the Jarl of Kattegat was talking about her vision, it was very eerie.  I worry about the place, now that the psychotic Jarl has put Kattegat in his sights.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, peridot said:

Somehow, I thought Queen Emma wouldn't dare to hook up with Canute.  I guess it's because of all the severe clothes she wears.  I'm surprised the Queen of Denmark is even entertaining the obviously sleazy Jarl who wants to be King of Norway.

Godwin is a survivor, the Earl who "volunteered" first to meet Canute should have just kept his mouth shut.

When the Jarl of Kattegat was talking about her vision, it was very eerie.  I worry about the place, now that the psychotic Jarl has put Kattegat in his sights.

I figured given the severe age gap between her and her deceased husband that she would do whatever it takes to remain on the throne. All things considered the Viking was a huge step up from her former husband. Likewise the Queen of Denmark will do what it takes as well but lacks the youth and looks of Emma. She will have to try and use her brains not very useful given she is playing a boys game against boys. 

I think the Earl of Sussex thought that by saying he saved the King that it would earn him points. He then of course realized after being prompted that he was speaking to the side that opposed him in that battle. Anything to avoid paying taxes. I think overall he should have just learned to start paying them!

Jarl is too nutty to last long. He will cause a lot of destruction along the way though.

Likewise Olaf is too stupid and angry. 

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Love 2

I don't know why Freydis would want Leif and Liv to stick around instead of telling them "this place is going to get wiped out by a tidal wave and I alone will survive it."

(edited)

Random thoughts:

• So, the sex scene between King Canute and Queen Emma I was really distracted by Canute's wiggly toes..
  • The tournament really highlighted that Freydis is quite a bit taller than the other Shield Maidens.. 
  • Lefi is totally going to convert to Christianity..
Edited by Fireball
  • Like 1