Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Billy Jones and the Orgy Lamps

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

From the various shows about stand up (or SNL type shows) it seems to me that it's very hard for writers who aren't actually comedians to write a really funny set. Though I have found some of Midge's comedy funny, it's not like I'm watching a real professional comedian.

You'd think though with the basis for the show they'd have some ACTUAL comedians doing some writing or consulting for her routines.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/28/2022 at 12:44 PM, shapeshifter said:

Not my comment (dumb software) but I did agree with it, and it often makes me think they don't want her to appear to be too funny.

I've wondered this. It's kind of like whenever we got to hear anything that Raymond, a professional award-winning sports columnist, wrote on Everybody Loves Raymond, and it was always shit. But I doubt it's that deep.

Humor writing, script writing, and standup are all completely different animals. The skills don't always translate from one to the other. The guys behind Mystery Science Theater 3000/Rifftrax once mentioned they'd learned that writing for MST3K was an incredibly specific kind of skill. They'd bring in writers who were brilliant at sketches, comedy routines, or essays, and just fail miserably when it came to putting words in the mouths of robot puppets razzing on a bad movie. 

Edited by Nicola
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2022 at 9:39 AM, jrzy said:

That rang so false to me too,  no way would Joel's mother try to fix him up with a pregnant girl, and no way would she be working.

We don't know her background, but if it was an out of wedlock,  she would be unfortunatly shunned by "polite" society.

I felt bad for that poor woman. Her husband just died and now she feels the need to get set up with unsuspecting randos. I was especially irritated at Joel's double standard, saying that he didn't want to get fixed up with a divorced pregnant woman. You're divorced with children, Joel. (But that's when his mom corrected him and said she was widowed.)

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I felt bad for that poor woman. Her husband just died and now she feels the need to get set up with unsuspecting randos. I was especially irritated at Joel's double standard, saying that he didn't want to get fixed up with a divorced pregnant woman. You're divorced with children, Joel. (But that's when his mom corrected him and said she was widowed.)

But the widowed, 9-months pregnant young woman seemed quite cheerful. Ah, hormones!

But I hope Rose never matchmakes again. I am haunted by her plan to "destroy" her client's loom, because, doncha know, to be a good wife one cannot be a fiber artist.

[SUSIE] You're a matchmaker, huh?

[ROSE] That's right.

[SUSIE] You really think there's someone out there for that gorgon that just left?

[ROSE] Yes.

[SUSIE] She's got a hunchback.

[ROSE] I can fix that.

[SUSIE] Really? You gonna blind the guy?

[ROSE] Susie! This is a business. Now you are my daughter's manager and a plumber before that, so you should understand business. I will send the gorgon to my hairstylist, and she will fix her hair. And I will teach her about foundation and mascara and lipstick and deodorant, and we will get her a girdle, and she will sit up straight, and we'll destroy her loom, and she will have a husband.

Argh. But now that I've read through the dialogue again, I fear we will be fed a fluffy-as-whipped-cream happily-ever-after ending of Rose being a match maker for Susie. 😐

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I agree with other posters that this season is not so great.

The fact that Midge hasn’t actually learned from her mistakes or developed more as a human is disappointing. She seems to have zero insight into how her actions and jokes are at least somewhat responsible for her predicament.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Argh. But now that I've read through the dialogue again, I fear we will be fed a fluffy-as-whipped-cream happily-ever-after ending of Rose being a match maker for Susie. 😐

Oh, no.....no, no, no. 😬

On 3/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

Argh. But now that I've read through the dialogue again, I fear we will be fed a fluffy-as-whipped-cream happily-ever-after ending of Rose being a match maker for Susie.

There's no way Susie would let Rose set her up with anyone. Look how she reacted to Midge taking her to that lesbian bar. I don't think Rose is interested in fixing Susie up, anyway. She's so different from Rose's usual upper middle class clientele. But if Rose did try, or even just suggested it Susie, the scene would be hilarious! Rose asking her usual questions and making her usual type of remarks and Susie answering in ways Rose can't handle.

ROSE: Have you ever considered wearing a girdle? 

SUSIE: Sure, just like I've considered wearing a suit of armor in a thunderstorm. F***, no! 

ROSE: If you want a husband....

SUSIE: You think I can't find some a**hole to live with? I found one at the Gaslight and he died on me! Right now I'm focused on finding better gigs for that numbskull daughter of yours! 

(I wish I knew a Yiddish word for a stubborn woman.)

I'm no writer, obviously, but I can still imagine a hilarious scene. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, LadyRose said:

There's no way Susie would let Rose set her up with anyone. Look how she reacted to Midge taking her to that lesbian bar. I don't think Rose is interested in fixing Susie up, anyway. She's so different from Rose's usual upper middle class clientele. But if Rose did try, or even just suggested it Susie, the scene would be hilarious! Rose asking her usual questions and making her usual type of remarks and Susie answering in ways Rose can't handle.

ROSE: Have you ever considered wearing a girdle? 

SUSIE: Sure, just like I've considered wearing a suit of armor in a thunderstorm. F***, no! 

ROSE: If you want a husband....

SUSIE: You think I can't find some a**hole to live with? I found one at the Gaslight and he died on me! Right now I'm focused on finding better gigs for that numbskull daughter of yours! 

(I wish I knew a Yiddish word for a stubborn woman.)

I'm no writer, obviously, but I can still imagine a hilarious scene. 

Maybe not a writer, but I think you nailed Susie's voice - I could hear her talking.

• Love 7