Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash (2023)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

The Surprise Winners From Hollywood’s Summer of Toys
Ryan Gajewski and Aaron Couch    AUGUST 17, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/barbie-transformers-ninja-turtles-summer-toys-1235566369/amp/ 

Just as much a part of the narrative of this summer’s releases are the surprising misses, such as a recent rough stretch for DC Studios titles that include the audience rejection of the Ezra Miller-starring The Flash, which collected just $268 million at the global box office against a $300 million budget, impacting toy sales for the project. “When you look at the Flash toys, the character from the movie that outsold everything else was Batman and the Batmobile,” says Jordan Hembrough, founder of the toy retail site Hollywood Heroes. “And it’s because people have this connection to Michael Keaton and his portrayal of the 1989 Batman.”

The same is true on the comic book side in terms of value of classic comics. “Flash books are down. Anything related to this film is kind of dropping,” says CovrPrice co-founder Matt Devoe, noting that part of what drives collectability is the promise of what comes next. (See: Marvel’s post-credit scenes). “The Flash film didn’t have anything for fans to take and speculate on. In fact, it’s led to a lot of confusion of, ‘OK, what is DC doing with their future lineup?’”

Edited by tv echo

‘The Flash’ Sees 1.1M Households In Weekend Debut On Max, Down From ‘Black Adam’
By Anthony D'Alessandro    August 29, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-flash-viewership-max-1235530739/ 

EXCLUSIVE: DC’s The Flash, the Justice League spinoff movie starring Ezra Miller in the title role, pulled in 1.1M US households in it’s Live+2 Day window on Max per Samba TV. The Andy Muschietti directed Warner Bros. title hit Warners streaming service on Aug. 25.

That figure is -8% from the weekend debut of Black Adam during Dec. 16-18 which clocked 1.2M U.S. households.

The Flash, which cost $200M before P&A, was long mired in a PR controversy, its leading man Miller the subject of myriad tabloid headlines, public scuffles and arrests a year before the movie’s opening. He was largely left on the sidelines to promote the film; his one appearance being the world premiere in Hollywood days before the pic’s June 16 opening. A bulk of the film’s cast, including Michael Keaton and Ben Affleck, were limited in press ops, further hampered by the unavailability of late-night talk shows during the early part of the WGA strike. Thus, The Flash fell apart at the box office opening to $55M domestic, well under high $60M projections, and finaled at $108.1M domestic and $268.5M global ticket sales. The Flash had a 71-day theatrical window before hitting Max versus Black Adam which had 57 days.

Edited by tv echo

Saw this on Max yesterday. It was entertaining but I was glad I didn't shell out any money to see in theaters. The best part, for me, was seeing Michael Keaton again as Batman. I loved hearing his theme music play and seeing his Batcave again. I liked seeing the multiverse with the different Superman and Batman, although it felt weird seeing Christopher Reeve like that. Not sure why, since some of the others are also dead, but it felt like a cheap shot.

Some of the CGI was really bad in some spots, which was distracting. Ezra Miller was fine as Barry and the movie had some genuinely funny moments. But I would not call this the best superhero movie ever made etc. It was just okay, light entertainment for a Friday night.

For all the bad and mediocre reviews on this film, I quite enjoyed it.  Didn't see anything wrong with it at all, really.  Could have done a smidge more with Michael Keaton, but all in all great fun, I thought.  

• Like 1

The HISHE, half about the movie itself, but the other half is commentary on the past and present and future DC movie-verse:

I wish they could have snuck in reference to the CW Flash, since they went out of their way to mention that failed Wonder Woman pilot.

Finally caught this on DVD from my local library. My takes:

Still not a fan of Ben Affleck's Batman voice.

This version of Barry Allen is Latino/Hispanic. Interesting.

That was the best explanation I've ever heard for time travel and the multiverse, using the spaghetti. And I'm glad they let Michael Keaton's Batman be the one to do it.

I squeed when Michael Keaton said, "I'm Batman." Took me right back to when I saw his first Batman movie on opening night, in a movie theater.

OG Flash said, "Come on, Barbie" and then Dark Flash said, "Let's go party?" right before they engaged Zod's army. Was that a deliberate nod to the impending Barbie movie, also from Warner Bros.? Apparently Barbie did not need Flash's help, lol.

Nicolas Cage playing one of the multiverse Supermen surprised me. I had no idea there was to be a Tim Burton movie starring Cage which got scrapped. I think Cage would've been great as Superman back before he got too weird.

"Who the fuck is this?" was a fantastic lead-in for the appearance of George Clooney's Bruce Wayne. AFAIC, he was absolutely the worst Batman, even worse than Val Kilmer. (And was Clooney the substitute for Christian Bale?)

Jason Mamoa as drunk Aquaman in the post-credits. Meh. Seemed like a literal afterthought.

I'm a fan of Sasha Calle from her former role on The Young and the Restless and had high hopes for her stepping into the Supergirl character. Her part in this film left me lukewarm though because IMO Supergirl was poorly written. I felt bad for Sasha because she's a good actress but needs strong material (and co-stars) to work with.

Meanwhile, how is it still being debated whether Ezra Miller will continue as the Flash in future DCEU movies? Their horrid IRL issues arguably destroyed the potential box office for this movie.

The Flash got an Artios Award nomination (winners announced on Mar. 7)...

Casting Society Artios Awards: ‘Barbie,’ ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ Among Nominees
BY TYLER COATES    JANUARY 12, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-artios-awards-movie-nominations-list-1235786254/ 

THE ZEITGEIST AWARD
Barbie (Warner Bros.): Lucy Bevan, Olivia Grant (Associate Casting Director)
The Flash (Warner Bros.): Rich Delia, Kate Ringsell, Adam Richards (Associate Casting Director)
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (Lionsgate): Debra Zane, Dylan Jury, Simone Bär (Location Casting)
Rebel Moon: Part One – A Child of Fire (Netflix): Kristy Carlson, Jeanette Benzie (Associate Casting Director)
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Paramount Pictures): Wittney Horton, additional voice casting by Ruth Lambert and Robert McGee, Eve Streger (Associate Casting Director)

(edited)

The Flash got a nomination for a VES Award...

‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,’ ‘The Last of Us’ Among Visual Effects Society Awards Nominees
By Diego Ramos Bechara    Jan 16, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/visual-effects-society-awards-nominees-2024-complete-list-1235873314/

Awards will be presented at the 22nd Annual VES Awards on Feb. 21 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. 
EMERGING TECHNOLOGY AWARD 

“Blue Beetle”; Machine Learning Cloth 

“Elemental”; Volumetric Neural Style Transfer 

“The Flash;” Volumetric Capture 

“Wish”; Dynamic Screen Space Textures for Coherent Stylization 

Edited by tv echo