Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: A Fair Fight

• Start Topic

Tariq's fate lies in the hands of Tate; Monet's choices feel out of her control; she must rely on Mecca to help salvage the pieces of her family; Mecca plays his hand to put Monet right where he wants her.

Air Date: January 30, 2022

So the implication is that Effie killed Lauren. My guess is that Effie did it because of her feelings for Tariq and not necessarily because Lauren’s a snitch.

Also, Effie still took Brayden’s money even though she was there for Lauren and not the money lol

Great! Monet finally made the connection between “Mecca” and Dante, and figured out that Dante manipulated the circumstances to leave himself as Monet’s only option.

I didn’t think Monet was gonna be the one pushing the plan to kill Lorenzo. Didn’t see that coming.

I’m starting to think Dante leaked the news of Zeke’s real birthdate to manipulate the circumstances once again, leaving Dante and his imaginary happy family life with Monet as Zeke’s only option.

Tariq is all alone. No more family members left for him to fuck up.

Small Power universe. Dante knew Lobos and knew Ghost and Tommy were the ones that killed him.

• Love 2

Everyone is convinced Carrie's death was by suicide. Monet did a good job hiding her tracks or the show just doesn't have enough time left in the season to make a story about it. I see no one on campus was holding a vigil for her or a mention of one the way they did for Jabari. Carrie who?

Good grief! Now Tariq has special powers to predict in his dreams: he will enter a classroom while Tate is writing on the board and foresee Lauren will be dead. Also, the "gift" gave him the  opportunity to decide if his outfit should be changed.

Yes Tariq. Have you checked on Ellisa Marie?

Is Omari not willing to make an appearance on this show?

Zeke! You are 23 years old, get rid of saying "Freaky Zekey" on your voice mail greeting. Even at 19, it's a bad look!

If Sullivan had pictures of Brayden with Ramirez and recording of Brayden and Cane, why didn't she play this card much earlier? She had to know Brayden is Tariq's roommate and Ramirez's badge could have been tied to him too.

Who is this witness to Jabari's murder? If this person is constantly calling Kamaal and he is ignoring her, call Sullivan, Whitman or another cop.

Could the Weston's have embarrased themselves any more in front of Jenny? I was waiting for Brayden to slap Trace to stop talking or for just wearing his cap backwards looking stupid at the table.

Look at Papa Weston hiring a non-white to be his lawyer. He will make sure to say she is a "close dear friend" when the picture of Sweeney and him is revealed.

Rashad couldn't find a better place than a bathroom to secretly meet Tariq and to not sit there and smell others? The lengths this man goes through for salacious material. 

Monet finding out Dante is Mecca was anti climatic! When did Cane take a picture of him that was available to send to Monet? I guess when they were out getting ice cream, Cane took a picture.

Mecca tells Cane he couldn't leave the apartment but Cane was seen out meeting Effie and Brayden. Newly promoted and can't take orders. Good choice Mecca!

At any time did Everett not notice his access card missing? 

Geez. Anyone can walk onto Stansfield's campus and into dorms. Why even bother have Dru steal an access card. 

Rashad suspiciously "happy" dropping his brother's name in the court, leads to Davis conveniently asking the question about Kamaal, that leads to the mystery woman calling Kamaal was comical no one questioned it.

Was Zeke asked to show ID for the beer? I doubt he changed the DOB on it that fast.

So who passed the information to Bleacher Report about Zeke's real age? Was it Diana or person who gave Diana information? Maybe Lorenzo?

The opportunity has passed, I am not expecting this show to come up with a reason from Monet now why Zeke was lied to about his age. It will be forgotten. 

Why is Zeke always having press conferences? Someone should know by now to never ever put him in front of a microphone. Just send out press releases. BTW "Nice" outfit worn by Zeke.
I would guess Sacramento has the first pick in the draft and told Zeke they will pick him?!
I have a hard time believing Zeke is the best player this year. He looks more like a second round pick or undrafted free agent. 

Davis must have friends in high places (the writers) to have all the classified information on Dante. 

Now Dante knows Tariq killed Ghost?! Ok. By a quick Google search? Will someone tell the "always last to know" NYPD!

So Dante has trackers on the drugs and the bag, why bother reveal to Cane he knew he stole the drugs (if he was planning to play him) and point a gun at him if he could just go to the phone to track its whereabouts? Dante's intelligence has been declining from each episode.

Of course the ruthless, ready to cut throat Dante is getting shaken down for $2 million from "plot armor thick" Tariq. Please help me!

Was that revelation about Lobos supposed to be an "Oh! $hit!" moment?

I can't tell if Effie and Diana really likes Tariq or just playing him. Every week they flip.

Did Lauren not see "Adrianna on the Sopranos" to know to not get in the car with Brayden?! Where was her parents in all this to not let her step out the house? She should have been immediately yanked out of school from the last episode. Once she told Tariq about Brayden and Cane, she should have known something was up. She is so naive.

We didn't see a body, so I can't say Lauren is dead yet. Not sure if Effie was acting that way for killing her or just regretting she let her go to the train/bus station.

That was the worst drive by ever. The poor dumpster didn't have a chance. Nice to see Zeke clutching his basketball tightly. He should have thrown it at the SUV and hit a shooter if his jump shot, passing skills and aim are so elite.

I assume Lorenzo hired them. He probably paid them all up front and they didn't get the job done. No refunds fool! Who were the bullets meant for? Monet or Lorenzo or all three?

I am leaning to Monet is playing Dante or maybe she is trying to get rid of both baby daddys at one time.

Did Tariq forget it was Yaz's birthday and not bring a gift or did the foster parents make up a new day for her per Ghost's instructions? Will the foster parents change Yaz's age like what happened to Zeke? Yaz wanted say "thanks but it's not for a few more months. But delicious cake is cake to not pass up!". I like the lawyer yelling at Tariq to not leave the car but couldn't bother get his lazy ass out and tackle him to the ground or instruct the driver to stop him. I guess stopping Tariq wasn't in Ghost's instructions.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Everyone is convinced Carrie's death was by suicide. Monet did a good job hiding her tracks or the show just doesn't have enough time left in the season to make a story about it. I see no one on campus was holding a vigil for her or a mention of one the way they did for Jabari. Carrie who?

If I recall, they even did a vigil for Ghost, who has nothing to do the school… but not for Carrie, who was a staff member who I assume has at least a little bit of love from her students 😂

41 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Omari don’t show up for ain’t-shit characters 😂

43 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Monet finding out Dante is Mecca was anti climatic! When did Cane take a picture of him that was available to send to Monet? I guess when they were out getting ice cream, Cane took a picture.

We’re on the same page. 

45 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Now Dante knows Tariq killed Ghost?! Ok. By a quick Google search? Will someone tell the "always last to know" NYPD!

I thought Dante was an informant. I’m like Tariq is threatening to snitch on you to whoever is looking for you. You know he killed Ghost, that’s leverage against this $2 million shakedown that Tariq’s trying to pull. Mutually assured destruction.

49 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

We didn't see a body, so I can't say Lauren is dead yet. Not sure if Effie was acting that way for killing her or just regretting she let her go to the train/bus station.

Effie put the entire thing in motion to get Lauren killed. I feel like she wanted Lauren gone with no possibility of coming back. She didn’t have to tell Cane about the wire knowing Cane would probably kill Lauren. It doesn’t incriminate Effie at all. Effie had no dog in the fight in regard to Lauren wearing a wire but Effie have one in regards a relationship with Tariq.

I couldn’t tell whether Brayden was wrestling with the decision to kill Lauren or not. Why was there a need to pull over and hold her at gunpoint if he had gotten cash for her to stay off the grid for a while? Why was there a need to pull over and get out just to give her a bag of money? Why do the charade?

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

I am leaning to Monet is playing Dante or maybe she is trying to get rid of both baby daddys at one time.

I am leaning toward Monet playing Dante also. She’s using Dante to get rid of Lorenzo but I’m still wondering what’s the plan to get rid of Dante.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

I like the lawyer yelling at Tariq to not leave the car but couldn't bother get his lazy ass out and tackle him to the ground or instruct the driver to stop him. I guess stopping Tariq wasn't in Ghost's instructions.

Before I read your last sentence, I was like “yeah, that’s not in Ghost’s will so I guess he can’t do that” 😂

Then I read the last sentence and said “Damn. You beat me to it.” 😂

• Love 2

Now that we’re nearing the end of the season, someone should shoot Tariq. Tariq’s reason for shooting his father is that Ghost broke up the family by leaving Tasha for Angela. Tariq has done more damage to the family than Ghost so therefore, he deserves to be shot in the ass.

He killed his father; got his mom sent to jail; got one sister killed and the other sent to foster care; got his grandma tossed in rehab; and left a larger trail of bodies than his father did (probably, more than Ghost and Tommy combined).

2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

At any time did Everett not notice his access card missing? 

Geez. Anyone can walk onto Stansfield's campus and into dorms. Why even bother have Dru steal an access card. 

Why did they feel the need to get Everett’s keycard at all? This plan did not need two parts. Diana could have gotten the QR code and Tariq’s card in the same visit.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, AntFTW said:

If I recall, they even did a vigil for Ghost, who has nothing to do the school… but not for Carrie, who was a staff member who I assume has at least a little bit of love from her students 😂

Ghost sure did. They had his picture up and candles lit quick. 

Maybe Stansfield only honors and have vigils for people who died by gun shot.

I guess Carrie's vigil was by zoom (It's what Carrie would have wanted) and they left an open space for her eavesdropping from the heavens. 

At least, the judge made sure to note her sexual liberation was in good standing in his court room. If the judge had to say that, what was the purpose of having Tate come in to testify for Carrie's character? He could have told Sullivan and Davis he is not needed.

Omari don’t show up for ain’t-shit characters 😂

Yes. You can't see him or he won't lend his voice. You might get a picture of him to show for the right price.

I thought Dante was an informant. I’m like Tariq is threatening to snitch on you to whoever is looking for you. You know he killed Ghost, that’s leverage against this $2 million shakedown that Tariq’s trying to pull. Mutually assured destruction.

He is an informant for the government. I just wondered why the NYPD can't find this out when everyone else is figuring out easily.

I agree. Use his killing of Ghost to counter Tariq, then strangle his ass. Dante's IQ is on a steady decline each week.

Effie put the entire thing in motion to get Lauren killed. I feel like she wanted Lauren gone with no possibility of coming back. She didn’t have to tell Cane about the wire knowing Cane would probably kill Lauren. It doesn’t incriminate Effie at all. Effie had no dog in the fight in regard to Lauren wearing a wire but Effie have one in regards a relationship with Tariq.

I couldn’t tell whether Brayden was wrestling with the decision to kill Lauren or not. Why was there a need to pull over and hold her at gunpoint if he had gotten cash for her to stay off the grid for a while? Why was there a need to pull over and get out just to give her a bag of money? Why do the charade?

Yes. Effie did it to protect Tariq from her snitching. I wonder if the thought of killing Brayden crossed her mind because of the chance he can talk too.

Dumb scene. I think the gun was empty. Didn't Cane say he gave him a gun with no bullets when he tried to shoot the store owner they robbed a few episodes back?

I just took the scene of the show just trying to be over dramatical to the audience with his dilemma to shoot or not. I guess he was originally planning to scare Lauren and give her cash at her home until Tariq called. But if Tariq's plan was to get her out of town, why not just go straight to the bus station, give her the cash there, tell her to never call NYC again and watch her get on the bus. Nope! He was going to take her to the woods give her a bag of cash and have her walk a mile to bus station in the dark. What???

Brayden messed up big. Couldn't tell he was being tailed by Effie and she took his money for extra insult. 

If I'm Lauren's parents the first person I am going after is Tariq (just by his reputation alone) but a good cop's investigation can lead to Brayden was in the neighborhood by camera at the time of her disappearance and go after him. 

She’s using Dante to get rid of Lorenzo but I’m still wondering what’s the plan to get rid of Dante.

It seems quick slice of throat by knife is the preferred choice this season.

Before I read your last sentence, I was like “yeah, that’s not in Ghost’s will so I guess he can’t do that” 😂

Then I read the last sentence and said “Damn. You beat me to it.” 😂

I didn't mean to! LOL

2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Now that we’re nearing the end of the season, someone should shoot Tariq. Tariq’s reason for shooting his father is that Ghost broke up the family by leaving Tasha for Angela. Tariq has done more damage to the family than Ghost so therefore, he deserves to be shot in the ass.

I would like that. But his plot armor is so thick, the bullet will ricochet off his ass, go through the TV and hit one of us.

2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Why did they feel the need to get Everett’s keycard at all? This plan did not need two parts. Diana could have gotten the QR code and Tariq’s card in the same visit.

Waste of time. Any excuse to get their shirts off is the show's only agenda.

Speaking of phones. Is it that easy to take a picture of Tariq from Diana's phone to unlock his phone? Next time choose fingerprint or pattern Tariq (should be smarter than this)! And no alert to Tariq and Brayden that the storages on the roof have been opened (even if it's done by one of them)?!

Diana should have sent Tariq for some free food too. I wonder what her plan B would be if Tariq had water in the room?! 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

At least, the judge made sure to note her sexual liberation was in good standing in his court room. If the judge had to say that, what was the purpose of having Tate come in to testify for Carrie's character? He could have told Sullivan and Davis he is not needed.

I find it ridiculous that Tate had to be the person to testify to Carrie's character. Out of everyone they could have possibly picked, they picked Tate, who had not known Carrie for that long. They didn't bother creating any family members for Carrie to testify on Carrie's character, no. That's too much work.

No other professors, no other deans, no students, no family members, nobody else but Tate.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I find it ridiculous that Tate had to be the person to testify to Carrie's character. Out of everyone they could have possibly picked, they picked Tate, who had not known Carrie for that long. They didn't bother creating any family members for Carrie to testify on Carrie's character, no. That's too much work.

No other professors, no other deans, no students, no family members, nobody else but Tate.

I agree. The writing for Carrie and the staff of Stansfield were handled poorly from the start. 

The other options to speak were the dean (who was about to fire her), Simon (I think they may have had one scene last season) and the rest of the students from class (and most insulted her on the zoom call). Also, obviously couldn't call Zeke or Whitman. We never knew if she had any family members. 

Edited by mxc90
21 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I didn’t think Monet was gonna be the one pushing the plan to kill Lorenzo. Didn’t see that coming.

I’m starting to think Dante leaked the news of Zeke’s real birthdate to manipulate the circumstances once again, leaving Dante and his imaginary happy family life with Monet as Zeke’s only option

I don’t think the plan to kill Lorenzo is real. I think Monet is lying to Dante. I do think she wants Zeke’s affection back BUT I don’t think she’s willing to lose all her other kids to do it. 

I noticed that we didn’t get any logical explanation on the front dating Zeke’s bday by FOUR YEARS because it’s fucking ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Rumor has it that Curtis (50 Cent) and Omari DID NOT get along at all, and that’s why Ghost died at the end of the original Power, with Omari doing no appearances afterwards.  

I think Bryden couldn’t bring himself to kill Lauren so he let Effie do it, and gave her the money in return. She knew where they were, she was following them. Bryden needs to know that you can’t be half a gangster. 

4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think the plan to kill Lorenzo is real. I think Monet is lying to Dante. I do think she wants Zeke’s affection back BUT I don’t think she’s willing to lose all her other kids to do it. 

I can see the "killing Lorenzo" plan being bullshit but I'm uncertain where I lean on that because I do believe Monet really wants Lorenzo out of the way. I'm not sure that she's willing to kill him to accomplish that.

12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Bryden couldn’t bring himself to kill Lauren so he let Effie do it, and gave her the money in return. She knew where they were, she was following them. Bryden needs to know that you can’t be half a gangster.

If I were Lauren, this would have been a great time for my wealthy parents to fly me across the Atlantic and settle into a new life in England at a prominent snobby university.

I thought the whole "get off the grid" and "get out of town" panic was overblown. I'm sure Cane would have killed her if he wanted  do it himself. Would he drive to the next state to do it? Probably not. Would he track her calls, texts and emails? Probably not.

If we were talking about Ghost and Tommy, sure. Get out of town and get off the grid. Cane? I don't think he would go through such lengths.

• Love 1
Just now, AntFTW said:

If I were Lauren, this would have been a great time for my wealthy parents to fly me across the Atlantic and settle into a new life in England at a prominent snobby university.

The fact that Lauren got in the car with Bryden was such a dumb move. 

I agree that Monet wants Lorenzo out of the way, but I don’t think she wants him dead. And now she doesn’t trust Dante at all (not that she should). 

Dang, Tariq's got a lot of bodies on him. They even brought in Raina's ghost.

Nice to see Cane terrified for once. He knows how psycho Mecca is.

Uh oh, Mecca knows Monet is lying about Carrie's death. That'll likely cost her.

And then Brayden got ratted out by his brother. 🎶These bros ain't loyal. 🎶

That hit on Mecca was weird. It didn't seem to me like they were really trying to kill him.

Oh noes, Brayden, Gangsta Fun Time is definitely over. You better get Cane handled before he handles you.

Lol, Tariq told Brayden to take care of Lauren. Little did he know what kind of care Brayden was planning to provide. Lauren stays being an idiot.

Mecca turning out to be a federal informant is the shock of the season, so far. So they let him run his criminal enterprise as cover and he can murder whoever he wants?

So why did Effie come to Brayden's rescue? What's in it for her? I'm still wondering if she's undercover for some acronym agency. All this can't be because she "'loves" Tariq. She knows she's his third choice, behind Diana and Lauren.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Mecca turning out to be a federal informant is the shock of the season, so far. So they let him run his criminal enterprise as cover and he can murder whoever he wants?

Yeah, and let's also add that he's a government informant who's using his real name! If he's putting away cartel bosses and other major players, there's no way he would be operating in plain sight. Let's just add this bit of info onto the pile of ridiculousness. Along with this:

23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I noticed that we didn’t get any logical explanation on the front dating Zeke’s bday by FOUR YEARS because it’s fucking ridiculous

I still can't believe the show did that shit. There was absolutely no need to lie about Zeke's age. None at all. And of course Zeke's dumbass doesn't even bother asking why everyone lied about his age. So stupid.

Another stupid thing is Trace flapping his gums about Cane and Tariq. He knows how dangerous Cane is and he's going on about testifying? Bruh. And of course these rich parents continue to be fools as well. Braydon's father is sitting next to his lawyer and encouraging Trace to talk in front of the DA?

I mentioned before that Power was never Shakespeare, but these plot holes are becoming too much.

It has to be a running joke behind the scenes at how non-existent the security is at Stansfield.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Yeah, and let's also add that he's a government informant who's using his real name! If he's putting away cartel bosses and other major players, there's no way he would be operating in plain sight. Let's just add this bit of info onto the pile of ridiculousness. Along with this:

I still can't believe the show did that shit. There was absolutely no need to lie about Zeke's age. None at all. And of course Zeke's dumbass doesn't even bother asking why everyone lied about his age. So stupid.

Another stupid thing is Trace flapping his gums about Cane and Tariq. He knows how dangerous Cane is and he's going on about testifying? Bruh. And of course these rich parents continue to be fools as well. Braydon's father is sitting next to his lawyer and encouraging Trace to talk in front of the DA?

I mentioned before that Power was never Shakespeare, but these plot holes are becoming too much.

It has to be a running joke behind the scenes at how non-existent the security is at Stansfield.

EVERYTHING you said here, I completely agree with and I've said to my wife as we shake our heads and religiously watch with our popcorn.

• LOL 1

I'd be shocked if Lauryn turned up dead.  Not because this show wouldn't have Effie do it.  Mostly because they'd SHOW her doing it.  Extreme violence is NOT something they shy away from.

The ONLY death in this entire franchise we didn't witness was Carrie's.  And that's because it would've been too difficult to have either Monet hanging her.  Or to show Carrie hanging herself.

There is a huge amount of disbelief that needs suspended when watching this show. 

I have a feeling Omari gave a big fat, "F**K NO!!!", when asked if he'd be willing to make guest appearances on here.

Edited by Sycophant4Lease
  • Love 1