Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

On the one hand, yay, the Canadian women's team is kicking ass and taking names as usual.

On the other hand, I was kind of hoping that Finland was on its way to becoming a third really competitive international side, but they got utterly dismantled by Canada here.  An NHL team that performed like that would get its coach and GM fired the next day.

• Love 1

The USA men's loss last night was pathetic.  Couldn't capitalize on two power plays in the third, one was a 5 on 3 and they didn't even get off a shot.  Gave up the tying goal in the last minute.  And then was truly awful in the shootout.  No challenging shots at all.  I think the first shot was going for the short side and there was absolutely no room.  One puck slid off the shooter's stick.  A few others were shot so close to the goalie that they had no shot.  Not sure if any of the shots were elevated at all.  3-0 in the pool, looked so promising.  Yet now over.  Bring back the pros.

• Love 1

I haven't followed hockey much at all, primarily because of the absence of the NHL stars.  I'm not at all surprised that the Canadian men have been eliminated.  Lost to the U.S. in pool play.  Played China twice and didn't look particularly great.  I recall in the weeks/months leading up to the Olympics that there was some question of whether China should even enter a team (which they got an automatic berth as the host country) because their level of play was so terrible compared to the other countries.  I think this is the first time in years that Canada doesn't medal in men's hockey.

On the women's side, it's once again Canada vs. the U.S.  The women's event has been around since 1998 and I believe all but one gold medal match has been between Canada and the United States.  I wonder why the IOC doesn't complain that there aren't enough competitive teams.  Isn't this why baseball/softball were booted from the Summer Olympics for a few cycles, because not enough countries could field a competitive team.  With the women's team it seems almost automatically assumed that Canada and the U.S. will be playing for gold, and everyone else is hoping to win the bronze.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

On the women's side, it's once again Canada vs. the U.S.  The women's event has been around since 1998 and I believe all but one gold medal match has been between Canada and the United States.  I wonder why the IOC doesn't complain that there aren't enough competitive teams.  Isn't this why baseball/softball were booted from the Summer Olympics for a few cycles, because not enough countries could field a competitive team.  With the women's team it seems almost automatically assumed that Canada and the U.S. will be playing for gold, and everyone else is hoping to win the bronze.

they have complained and that's why they were noises about scrapping it.  Softball/baseball were nixed partially because most host cities didn't want to build a baseball stadium (if they didn't have one), to keep Olympic costs down.(see, London. they flat out said they were using pre-existing venues and was not going to build a baseball stadium. IOC went fine. that's why like Tokyo, any USA/CAN summer bids would more than likely have baseball/softball on the docket because they already have pre-built)

I think the only thing that's saving woman's hockey right now is that the Olympics is trying really hard for the equality thing/more women medals in sport. but i think if Finland/Sweden and another country don't step it up really..... they're gonna nix it and i think that sucks imo

Marie Philip Poulin legit only knows how to score golden goals. All is right in the world, we've got hockey gold again
(I'ld say it was a good game but i only got the last minute LMAO. I'll catch the recap later). 

• Love 1

Controversial hot take: Prime Poulin > Prime Wickenheiser

Also, I don't really care who wins on the men's side (Canada sure didn't deserve to be there), but I'm really annoyed that it will probably be stupid cheaty ROC or whatever they're calling themselves now.

Just now, Birnam Wood said:

Also, I don't really care who wins on the men's side (Canada sure didn't deserve to be there), but I'm really annoyed that it will probably be stupid cheaty ROC or whatever they're calling themselves now.

Ok, Russia can compete in the next Olympics, but they have to call themselves Stupid Cheaty ROC.

12 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Ok, Russia can compete in the next Olympics, but they have to call themselves Stupid Cheaty ROC.

LOL. They’ll be back to Russian Federation come next Olympic cycle! Their pseudo “suspension” is just about over. Whatever the case, I vastly preferred the 2018 OAR version 😂😂

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Birnam Wood said:

Controversial hot take: Prime Poulin > Prime Wickenheiser

I'm not sure if thats really a hot take I think a lot of people would say the same thing