Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Three Guns

Danielg342
  • Start Topic

Via TheFutonCritic, who states this is scheduled to air at 10:30PM.

The SWAT team partners with the DEA to locate stolen rocket launchers smuggled into Los Angeles, high-power weapons with new technology capable of cutting through armored tanks. Also, a personal issue for Tan arises when a colleague is hurt in the field; Hondo's inquiry into the arrest of a homeless veteran for Leroy (Michael Beach), Darryl's father, sparks an idea for a new policing initiative; and Luca suspects the mother of his mentee, Kelly (Angelica Scarlet Johnson), wants to date him

EDIT- Since the press release might be a little confusing, I'm thinking that last line- about Luca- should read, "Luca suspects that Tuana (Jayda Aslan), the mother of his mentee, Kelly (Angelica Scarlet Johnson), wants to date him", just so no one thinks Kenny Johnson is getting into a romantic relationship with his own daughter.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 1
(edited)

letter-d.jpg

So this week, instead of the show using just one plot to recycle, they combined two of them and churned it out for an episode. With soapy character moments thrown in to the episode in what passes for "character development".

It started off as the usual "we gotta stop the cartel's smuggling operation" episode, but then it morphed into "a cartel is working with a shadowy military group" episode. One with a "super dangerous weapon" that conveniently can't be located until it is dramatically convenient for it to do so.

It was also a weapon found on the same soundstage the show lazily recycles for all its warehouses that the team went on its usual a wild goose chase just to recover.

Oh, and Hondo got the kill shot...just before the baddie could shoot down the plane. For what reason he wanted to shoot that plane, I'll never know.

Ho hum.

Only real positives from this episode are Leroy kinda/sorta getting behind Hondo's initiative and seeing Kenny Johnson's daughter, who, while still having some work to do, might actually have some acting chops in her.

Everything else was pretty dull, all told.

Programming note- according to TheFutonCritic, there will be no show next week. It comes back a week later for "Old School Cool" (which I'll guess will be an episode about Hondo Sr.), followed by three weeks of repeats and then three weeks of new episodes starting on Feb. 27 and concluding the Sunday before "March Madness" begins. After that, I don't know when the show comes back.

Edited by Danielg342
11 hours ago, BooksRule said:

My DVR cut out right after the rocket blew up part of the roof and they broke to commercial.  How did they wrap everything up?

There was more shooting before the team took down the rest of the terror group and then Hondo took out the guy with the special weapon before he shot it at the plane.

Chris told Tan she'd be there for him because the team was family and he knew he had to support Bonnie.

Luka and his daughter's mom figured out what she was up trying to set them up together and called her out on it and explained that even though Luka and mom weren't going to get back together that they were still family and Luka would always be in the daughter's life.

Hondo kicked off the meeting for his project and Leroy eventually showed up...

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Honda kicked off the meeting for his project and Leroy eventually showed up...

Only thing I want to add- because I think it will be important- is that Leroy showed up and immediately questioned, "what good can the LAPD do for the community?" to which Hondo replied, "this isn't about what the LAPD can do for the community, but for what you can do for the community", before Hondo readdressed the room and said "let's get started" with the credits rolling right after that.

I mean, I think Leroy's on board anyway, but the show did plant a small seed of doubt that- one way or another- will likely come into play later.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Only thing I want to add- because I think it will be important- is that Leroy showed up and immediately questioned, "what good can the LAPD do for the community?" to which Hondo replied, "this isn't about what the LAPD can do for the community, but for what you can do for the community", before Hondo readdressed the room and said "let's get started" with the credits rolling right after that.

I mean, I think Leroy's on board anyway, but the show did plant a small seed of doubt that- one way or another- will likely come into play later.

True but anyone who's watched this show long enough knows Leroy is Mr. Doubtful, lol.  It was just nice to see him show up.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Luka and his daughter's mom figured out what she was up trying to set them up together and called her out on it and explained that even though Luka and mom weren't going to get back together that they were still family and Luka would always be in the daughter's life.

I thought the character was not related to him, but was just someone he took an interest in because she had dyslexia just as Luka did. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I thought the character was not related to him, but was just someone he took an interest in because she had dyslexia just as Luka did. 

You're right. The character is not Luca's daughter, but the actress playing her is the daughter of the actor playing Luca. Hence the mix-up. According to People, Angelica Scarlet Johnson, Kenny Johnson's daughter, will turn 12 this May.

• Useful 3
On 1/9/2022 at 11:09 PM, Danielg342 said:

letter-d.jpg

Oh, and Hondo got the kill shot...just before the baddie could shoot down the plane. For what reason he wanted to shoot that plane, I'll never know.

Ho hum.

The cell leader was kidnapped by a Filipino Islamic terrorist group and converted to their cause to the point of creating his own fake identity as the terror master. Instead of fighting for their own autonomous islands out of the Philippines Islands this group seemed to be the among ones to strike anywhere just to kill. Any plane would do it seems.

I just saw again  a late season Hawaii 5-0 episode with the same basic story. Super missile on a  roof ready to take down not just any jet that came in range but a hit on US Marines aboard. In that case Russian mercenaries were hired for the job and McGarrett went up a wall Adam West Batman style.

On The Rookie I was just talking about the pregnant cop going into battle and what do we get here, a pregnant agent doing the last raid and almost losing her baby. While on some levels S.W.A.T. seems ridiculous  on the effects of violence they are often ahead of the TV peers. But considering the job to protect the cartel accountant i would have expected Chris as well as Deacon to be sitting out. 

SWAT big sister Chris returned for Tan, instead of Street this time and that was a good sign as maybe they got the message that because she is the only woman on the cast that we don't have to show her romances along with the star Hondo's.  I do wonder if Chris was not bi if Luca would have come out instead of a giving a generic no romance reason 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Kenny Johnson's daughter is adorable and a good young actress.  I like the mom character/actress as well. I'd like to see more of them on the show.

I really hate storylines about pregnancy loss, but this one was okay.  Chris was a great, supportive friend, and I like the mutual support between her and Tan. 

I thought it was strange when Street told everyone good night in the locker room and left without any reaction shot between Street and Chris.  

I love the actor who plays Leroy, so any time I see him it's a good episode.  It's kind of jarring seeing him as a nice guy because he was a threatening criminal on "Chicago PD."  I do like  that Hondo has an old friend and that they still connect despite taking different paths in their lives.

Edited by nittany cougar
On 1/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, nittany cougar said:

Kenny Johnson's daughter is adorable and a good young actress.  I like the mom character/actress as well. I'd like to see more of them on the show.

I really hate storylines about pregnancy loss, but this one was okay.  Chris was a great, supportive friend, and I like the mutual support between her and Tan. 

I thought it was strange when Street told everyone good night in the locker room and left without any reaction shot between Street and Chris.  

I love the actor who plays Leroy, so any time I see him it's a good episode.  It's kind of jarring seeing him as a nice guy because he was a threatening criminal on "Chicago PD."  I do like  that Hondo has an old friend and that they still connect despite taking different paths in their lives.

Michael Beach has pretty good range as an actor, playing good guy and bad guy roles. 20 years ago, on Third Watch, he was a series regular playing the lead paramedic "Doc" Parker. And on SEAL Team, he's played a chaplain.

• Love 1