Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: What's Free?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, AntFTW said:

The one thing I never look forward to on this show is the rotation of women fawning over Tariq with Lauren, Effie and Diana.

I was surprised Effie showed up and then hoped in bed with him. They are always conveniently there when Tariq needs help. Tariq breaks up with Lauren but of course she will be trying to get back with him soon. Now Effie is there to make him realize to trust Brayden and advise he is not what Ghost thinks of him in the letter. The luck of this kid has with women is unreal!

Tariq should be careful, Effie could decide to make deals directly with Monet and keep him out of it.

My goodness! Monet loves asking: "You know who I am?" 

Is it normal in courts for Tariq to have one judge give him no bail and then another judge over rule to grant bail at 10%? I assumed Tariq would have one judge for the entire process. What the hell did Tate have on the judge to make him say the system is racist? That statement from the judge would draw many news headlines and the ire from his peers and police. Tate must have some serious pictures on him but can't find anything on Sweeney.

It's odd that Tate is still relying on Tariq to find evidence on Sweeney even after Tariq was arrested. Didn't make sense for a person arrogant and self conscious as him to go to the prison to meet Tariq, as he wouldn't want any negative connection on his brand. He would just find another way to get at Sweeney and forget about Tariq.

With Tariq being free, you would think an angry Kamal or Whitman would have him under surveillance or there would be some protest on campus from a lot of students/parents about having an alleged killer there.

Tariq and Brayden are yelling as if the walls in the dorm aren't thin and other nosy students can't hear or record them. The DA should forget having Lauren testify and just subpoena the people on their floor.

Not sure why Lorenzo would dismiss Monet's plan to follow Zeke's "supposed" NBA career as that could bring him a lot of money into the family. He should see the big picture and just insert himself in the plan.

Could Monet act a little happy around the family as Lorenzo is back home. She acted so obvious she didn't want him back home. The sex was probably lousy too. Only Lorenzo was too stupid to not see it.

Diana was wrong not making breakfast for Monet and only for Lorenzo.

I don't think we've seen any time Dru went to the prison to see his father. Why is Lorenzo so sure Dru is ready to run the business and never seen him in action? At least Lorenzo knows Dru sexual orientation and is cool with it so that won't be a problem.

Lil Guap may be the dumbest, wanted to get a picture with Lorenzo for his Instagram. Soon he'll mess up and get himself killed.

Carrie was on straight bitch mode throughout the episode. Now I'm getting the feeling she will not survive this season. Her character is becoming expendable.

Like every normal people, Brayden's father just keeps his ancient photo album from college lying around on the coffee table and not in the trash or hidden deep in a box in the attic.

Saxe should find another firm to work for. After a while, he must be annoyed answering to and getting scolded from Davis. 

Wonder if Diana will see Monet meeting with Effie and interfere.

That will be some meeting between Mecca and Lorenzo. Monet will soon have to know Dante is Mecca.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

I was surprised Effie showed up and then hoped in bed with him. They are always conveniently there when Tariq needs help. Tariq breaks up with Lauren but of course she will be trying to get back with him soon. Now Effie is there to make him realize to trust Brayden and advise he is not what Ghost thinks of him in the letter. The luck of this kid has with women is unreal!

Tell me about it!

As soon as Effie showed up at Tariq's door, I said "Stop it! 😑. Don't talk to him in that tone. Don't look at him that way. I can already see where this is going." I was surprised at the way she just popped up at his door as well. That's the cycle they've created for Tariq. When things break down with one woman, the next one is right there to fill that role.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Tariq should be careful, Effie could decide to make deals directly with Monet and keep him out of it.

He should be. Effie is not naive like Lauren and Diana. Despite hopping into bed with Tariq, she knows he ain't shit. Effie knows what's up and knows the game.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

My goodness! Monet loves asking: "You know who I am?" 

Yes she does! 🤣

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Is it normal in courts for Tariq to have one judge give him no bail and then another judge over rule to grant bail at 10%? I assumed Tariq would have one judge for the entire process. What the hell did Tate have on the judge to make him say the system is racist? That statement from the judge would draw many news headlines and the ire from his peers and police. Tate must have some serious pictures on him but can't find anything on Sweeney.

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that a judge at an arraignment or bail hearing is usually not the same judge at the trial.

Why did they give Tate so much pull? Why does a local councilman have so much pull to close streets for utilities (back when Ghost tried to kill Tommy), child protective services, and judges?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

With Tariq being free, you would think an angry Kamal or Whitman would have him under surveillance or there would be some protest on campus from a lot of students/parents about having an alleged killer there.

I would assume that also but maybe that's too many points for production to focus on.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Not sure why Lorenzo would dismiss Monet's plan to follow Zeke's "supposed" NBA career as that could bring him a lot of money into the family. He should see the big picture and just insert himself in the plan.

Because for Lorenzo, the clock (in his mind) stopped when he went to prison. He doesn't think that new plans are in motion and people are changing and forging new paths for themselves during his time in prison. I'm guessing all he's been thinking about while in prison is picking back up exactly where he left off and things (and people) being in the places and positions that he left them. Anything outside of that means nothing to him.

2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Could Monet act a little happy around the family as Lorenzo is back home. She acted so obvious she didn't want him back home. The sex was probably lousy too. Only Lorenzo was too stupid to not see it.

I would assume that being in prison does that to a person. 🤣

2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Carrie was on straight bitch mode throughout the episode. Now I'm getting the feeling she will not survive this season. Her character is becoming expendable.

I don't think her character should have become so central. The show has spent way too much time on Carrie and I don't feel like we got much out of her character with all that time.

2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Saxe should find another firm to work for. After a while, he must be annoyed answering to and getting scolded from Davis. 

Seems like Saxe mentally never left the US attorney's office.

2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

That will be some meeting between Mecca and Lorenzo. Monet will soon have to know Dante is Mecca.

Has Cane ever given the name "Mecca" to Monet or anyone in his family? I don't remember if he ever did.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AntFTW said:

He should be. Effie is not naive like Lauren and Diana. Despite hopping into bed with Tariq, she knows he ain't shit. Effie knows what's up and knows the game.

Effie is working for an unknown boss. I can see her taking advantage using Tariq and Monet for her gain.

7 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that a judge at an arraignment or bail hearing is usually not the same judge at the trial.

Why did they give Tate so much pull? Why does a local councilman have so much pull to close streets for utilities (back when Ghost tried to kill Tommy), child protective services, and judges?

Seem odd with these judges. Trial wouldn't begin that fast. It be a few weeks/months. TV magic.

Tate has way too much power (the name of the show is not about him). 

6 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I would assume that also but maybe that's too many points for production to focus on

Yeah. I guess they will be seen next episode plotting something.

Because for Lorenzo, the clock (in his mind) stopped when he went to prison. He doesn't think that new plans are in motion and people are changing and forging new paths for themselves during his time in prison. I'm guessing all he's been thinking about while in prison is picking back up exactly where he left off and things (and people) being in the places and positions that he left them. Anything outside of that means nothing to him.

The man is completely clueless. It will be his undoing.

Surprised no one questioned if he worked out a deal, came out of jail and be a snitch for the feds.

I don't think her character should have become so central. The show has spent way too much time on Carrie and I don't feel like we got much out of her character with all that time.

I think the writers brought her on to just to say she is a sex addict and didn't have anything more in mind for her character development.

Seems like Saxe mentally never left the US attorney's office.

And physically in Sullivan's bedroom. 

Has Cane ever given the name "Mecca" to Monet or anyone in his family? I don't remember if he ever did.

I think last episode Tariq mentioned Mecca to Monet.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1
On 12/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Description TBD

Air Date: January 9, 2022

I am so not ready to see the relationship with Dante and Monet end. I know conflict is coming but I was hoping to see more, just for a little while.  

17 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Effie is working for an unknown boss. I can see her taking advantage using Tariq and Monet for her gain.

Seem odd with these judges. Trial wouldn't begin that fast. It be a few weeks/months. TV magic.

Surprised no one questioned if he worked out a deal, came out of jail and be a snitch for the feds.

I think the writers brought her on to just to say she is a sex addict and didn't have anything more in mind for her character development.

I don't like Carrie at all. I wish Monet would rip her a new one again about Zeke. 

On 12/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Description TBD

Air Date: January 9, 2022

I still have issues with Tariq playing a tough guy. He just doesn't do it for me , at least not yet.   I am giving him a chance. Maybe it because his character is so young and unseasoned.     

19 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Maybe but Monet has not made the connection of Mecca and Dante as being the same person. She has no idea he is her connect . 

Lorenzo turned their home into a gambling den and expected Monet to serve as waitress. He didn't waste any time trying to put her back in the housewife role.

Zeke has bulked up. A lot. I almost didn't recognize him at first.

Monet has a type: light-skinneded bald guys. 😉 It's going to be a revelation when Lorenzo and Mecca finally meet.

Not sure Monet should be trusting Cane. He's still just looking out for himself. She's feeling kind of desperate with Lorenzo pushing her out of the game.

Saxe is having a hard time with the concept of "defense" it seems.

Hah, hah on Tasha being in WITSEC in New Mexico. Reference to the old series, In Plain Sight? If she's in Albuquerque maybe she can do a bit of meth business while she's there. 😏

Brayden trying to impress Monet was ridiculous to me. His family could have all the Tejadas put under the jail. If anything he should be running them instead of currying their favor.

And Lauren doesn't need to be putting up with Carrie's b.s. either. That poor girl is tragically naive. Her family could make sure Carrie couldn't get a job in a pre-school much less at another college. They'd probably get her disbarred too.

Diana is a backstabbing little brat. I'm thinking Monet needs to take her out or at least get her out of the way. Lorenzo would probably still be in prison if Monet had just let Diana go to Stansfield.

Effie is working for an unknown boss.

Yeah there's still a theory floating around that she's working undercover but I can't see it unless she's using Tariq to take down the Tejadas. She must be connected to somebody significant though. Maybe Tommy's long-lost kid?

• Love 1
On 1/9/2022 at 7:06 AM, AntFTW said:

The one thing I never look forward to on this show is the rotation of women fawning over Tariq with Lauren, Effie and Diana.

To be fair I haven’t seen Diana fawning. I think that Diana finds Tariq attractive but is focused on her own shit and doesn’t trust him as far as she can throw him. Diana admitted she doesn’t even trust Cane- her own brother, so she is wary of Tariq. 

I don’t see Effie fawning either- of the 3 I think she is the most like Tariq and can read him the best. Yeah she likes hooking up with him (he’s young and cute, so is she), but she will always be 100% in control of that relationship- it will serve her. 

As far as Lauren- she doesn’t know ANYTHING about “street life” or the “game”. The girl is a sheltered 19 years old (although, I was a pretty sheltered 19 years old- I wouldn’t have signed that document without reading it), who sees Tariq as a cute guy in her class she likes who’s had a “rough time” and she wants to care for him. Upon learning her brother is in a halfway house, she probably has her own issues with seeing a loved one struggle, but this illegal life is not anything she wants to/can be involved in. Truthfully I think Tariq should’ve left her ass alone. 

The change in Tariq and Brayden’s relationship should be interesting. I think Tariq should’ve given Brayden more of a heads up about Cane, and his little tantrum was unwarranted. I think of anyone Tariq can trust Brayden the most. 

47 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

To be fair I haven’t seen Diana fawning.

You're right. I've also noticed. I'm also giving it time for that to change.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, AntFTW said:

You're right. I've also noticed. I'm also giving it time for that to change.

I’m not quite sure where Diana fits. 

Someone said that Lauren Is an Angela and Effie is a Tasha.

I think they gave James a personality transplant in the last season to make us okay with Tariq killing him. James had a lot of flaws and was a liar/bad husband/murderer etc, but season 1-4 James would’ve NEVER agreed to let Tariq go to prison, he would’ve NEVER laid hands on Tasha (even when he left her for Angela he still treated her with respect), and he NEVER would’ve threatened to take Yaz away from her (when did he think she was a bad mom??)

But I think James had more conflict about who he wanted to be than Tariq. Tariq loves this street life more than James did (no matter what he said to Brayden about people not having choices), and while I think he likes Lauren (again she’s smart and cute) he doesn’t want to be “saved” by her. I think Tariq misses having a family now more than ever, but Lauren won’t be it. 

Lauren is kind of reminding me of a Greg character (although Greg was a lawyer and a grown ass man)- someone who actually isn’t crooked** getting twisted up in this. And we all know what happened to Greg. 

**he was actually doing his job, wasn’t cohorting with criminals, AND he didn’t sexually harass Angela- they were peers, it was consensual, she ended it and he asked why, to get him off James’ back she lied and she he was harassing her. 

• Love 1
On 1/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, AntFTW said:

Also- to build on @mxc90’s question- just like Lorenzo said, he’s been in charge of his life since he was 13. No way will he accept having a “boss” that’s a young man young enough to be his SON and Monet’s nephew at that (he would always be loyal to Monet first not him). Working as a part of Zeke’s entourage is at the whim of Zeke- Lorenzo is way too proud for that. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think they gave James a personality transplant in the last season to make us okay with Tariq killing him. James had a lot of flaws and was a liar/bad husband/murderer etc, but season 1-4 James would’ve NEVER agreed to let Tariq go to prison, he would’ve NEVER laid hands on Tasha (even when he left her for Angela he still treated her with respect), and he NEVER would’ve threatened to take Yaz away from her (when did he think she was a bad mom??)

At least up until the tail end of season 4, James in seasons 1 to 4 didn’t have a dead daughter and had a son that wasn’t in “the life” (from James’ perception). I think that’s what triggered the character change.

I will say that calling Tasha a bad mom, and threatening to take Yaz was justified but it was also hypocritical and a criticism that shouldn’t have come from him. He was an equally bad parent.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also- to build on @mxc90’s question- just like Lorenzo said, he’s been in charge of his life since he was 13. No way will he accept having a “boss” that’s a young man young enough to be his SON and Monet’s nephew at that (he would always be loyal to Monet first not him). Working as a part of Zeke’s entourage is at the whim of Zeke- Lorenzo is way too proud for that. 

I was thinking it’s broader than that. Like you said, Lorenzo won’t accept someone young enough to be his son to be his boss. I think Lorenzo won’t accept having a boss at all. He’s way too proud to have any boss.

The problem isn’t that Monet’s post drug pitch is bad (which I thought it was a bad idea) but Lorenzo won’t take any plan that involves him being subordinate to anyone else and something that doesn’t sell drugs. Like Tariq, Lorenzo loves this shit. Lorenzo doesn’t want to leave the drug game.

I imagine that even if Monet planned on buying into legitimate businesses that can earn money in their own right, Lorenzo would have wanted to continue to sell drugs and clean money through whatever legit business Monet bought into or sell drugs directly through those businesses.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I was thinking it’s broader than that. Like you said, Lorenzo won’t accept someone young enough to be his son to be his boss. I think Lorenzo won’t accept having a boss at all. He’s way too proud to have any boss.

The problem isn’t that Monet’s post drug pitch is bad (which I thought it was a bad idea) but Lorenzo won’t take any plan that involves him being subordinate to anyone else and something that doesn’t sell drugs. Like Tariq, Lorenzo loves this shit. Lorenzo doesn’t want to leave the drug game.

I imagine that even if Monet planned on buying into legitimate businesses that can earn money in their own right, Lorenzo would have wanted to continue to sell drugs and clean money through whatever legit business Monet bought into or sell drugs directly through those businesses.

Yes I agree with you on that. Lorenzo loves the game just like Tariq.

I do agree with him that sending Diana to school is the right thing, but I’m sure there’s a little bit of gender roles involved in that. It’s more socially acceptable to want your daughter in a “safe” career path and away from the life and the bullets than a son. 

But what is up with Dante and his “you need to give our family a chance”- reminds me of Naomi’s character on Queens. The child is TWENTY years old. The raising is done, there’s no need for Monet’s permission to see him or a need to be with Monet to have a relationship with him. Monet IS married to Lorenzo and now he’s out- do you want him to come after her with your meddling Dante?

• Love 1
On 1/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

And Lauren doesn't need to be putting up with Carrie's b.s. either. That poor girl is tragically naive. Her family could make sure Carrie couldn't get a job in a pre-school much less at another college. They'd probably get her disbarred too.

That's what bugging me about this storyline. Besides it not making a lick of sense, Lauren comes from money. The worst that would've happened to her once the drugs were found is she would've been kicked out of the dorms, but going to jail? Come on. I get that she was scared, but she should've been called her parents by now. I'm sure her family has lawyers on retainer and they would go to work on Carrie and the NYPD. 

And LOL at Tariq having the nerve to come at Braydon about selling drugs since he's privileged. I'm glad Braydon called him out on his hypocrisy. Tariq acts as if he was roughing it in his penthouse apartment in the Meatpacking District. 🙄

• Love 2
On 1/21/2022 at 3:51 PM, Sheenieb said:

That's what bugging me about this storyline. Besides it not making a lick of sense, Lauren comes from money. The worst that would've happened to her once the drugs were found is she would've been kicked out of the dorms, but going to jail? Come on. I get that she was scared, but she should've been called her parents by now. I'm sure her family has lawyers on retainer and they would go to work on Carrie and the NYPD.

That’s true- but I think Lauren has never been in trouble before and is scared of her parents reaction.

Also with her brother having problems with addiction, she probably doesn’t want to cause any more trouble for them. She is the “easy” child. Not that that she thinks they wouldn’t help her, but she’s naive and thinks she can handle it on her own. The girl doesn’t have a lick of street sense (which isn’t surprising especially given her age).