Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Empowered Women Empower Women

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I'VE GOT YOUR BACK - Claudette (Jaye Ladymore) begins to assert her independence, while Rev (Derrick A. King) keeps his flock close, further raising Jharrel's (Joseph David-Jones) suspicions. Meanwhile, LaDonna (Khailah Johnson) considers her next move, Keisha (Ireon Roach) has a date with Jessica (guest star Wilder Yari), and Andre (TL Thompson) is concerned by his latest discovery. The series also stars Brittany Adebumola, Cory Jeacoma, AMARR and Autumn Best. Kenny Leon directed the episode written by Felicia Hilario.

Original Airdate: 12/6/2021     (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET)   CW

FF7f87KX0Acb-aM?format=jpg&name=900x900

Two of my favorite characters so far are Claudette and Soraya, and this was a decent episode for both. So yay!

I had predicted that Claudette's backstory involved her getting abused by her husband and given the ability the heal as a reflection of her resiliency. I'm glad that -- although he was abusive and petty,  it doesn't look like he physically abused her. Not that the cruelty he was showing was any better. Seriously dude, you're going to send your wife to an asylum for being too forward? The Green Lighters got her out just in time.

There was SO MUCH SHIPPING....probably about as much implied sex in this one episode as there was for much of the OG 4400's run. Claudette/Jherrel, Soraya/Keisha, Shanise/Doc...am I missing anyone? All of these pairings seem a little forced and a little too sudden. I get that Soraya had a crush on Keisha, but Keisha has barely spoken to her. And for Soraya to be like, "I'm not about to be a rebound" when she literally broke up with her girlfriend that day. I mean, play a little hard to get. 

Doc and Shanice continue to not have much in the way of chemistry.

On the superpower front, Doc's ability to heal has a twist from Shawn in the OG 4400: he has to pass along the injury to someone else and he gets sick until he does. I wonder if his power works not just on physical wounds but on illnesses or on mental states. It's a good thing that Claudette can apparently heal from physical injuries (but I also wonder if she's immune to illnesses as well).

I wonder if the Green-Lighters deliberately set up people with mirror powers in some cases: Doc can heal and has Claudette as a potentially infinite receptacle in which to pour injuries. Shanice can see the past and Hayden (AWOL this ep) can see the future. 

Still waiting for the development of a cis-het white guy who is a good person. We haven't had too many people of color who are bad people in the present. Rev might prove to be one, though. It seems like he's partnering up with Evil Mr. Greene to sell the 4400 down the river.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

There was SO MUCH SHIPPING....probably about as much implied sex in this one episode as there was for much of the OG 4400's run. Claudette/Jherrel, Soraya/Keisha, Shanise/Doc...am I missing anyone? All of these pairings seem a little forced and a little too sudden. I get that Soraya had a crush on Keisha, but Keisha has barely spoken to her. And for Soraya to be like, "I'm not about to be a rebound" when she literally broke up with her girlfriend that day. I mean, play a little hard to get. 

I was starting to think that someone's power finally manifested -- and that was the power of love. Or maybe just the power of hooking up, who knows at this point as each of the 4400 didn't come with a user manual about their powers.

• Love 1

Chime is popping up everywhere. Lol  I was wrong about Jharrel and Keisha.  Keisha and Jharrel are just friends.  Keisha is a lesbian. Andre and Shanice are trauma bonding. She's still in love with Logan. I see Doritos got a spot, too. Last week was that popcorn I cannot remember the name of at the moment. I don't ship any couples at the moment. Nobody has chemistry in my opinion. 

I really like LaDonna, too. Hope she's not leaving.

We haven't had too many people of color who are bad people in the present. Rev might prove to be one, though.

I don't trust the Rev for a second. He's looking more and more like a snake oil salesman, or worse. It looked to me like they were drawing parallels between Rev and Claudette's abusive husband in this episode.

• Love 1