Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E07: Miriam Margoyles, Paul Rudd, Ron Howard, Halle Berry

• Start Topic

The title description left out Stephen Fry.  Halle Berry is there remotely.

That said, no comments on this utterly delightful episode?  Bummer.  I'd say the show is back in full force, and I couldn't be happier. 

For those Miriam Margolyes non-fans, she was off color, but not vulgar.  And I was loving her sneakers.  It was so nice to see everyone on the show being comfortable in their clothes, and chatting as if they weren't several feet apart.

Even the red chair was good--just enough exposition, and then the punch line. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The title description left out Stephen Fry. 

My cable guide didn't mention Fry, which is what I used for the title. I wonder if he was a late add; I think pandemic has affected the guest list more than usual.

30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

My cable guide didn't mention Fry, which is what I used for the title. I wonder if he was a late add; I think pandemic has affected the guest list more than usual.

Well, he was in the farthest seat.

And actually, I got to wondering about the seat placement this morning, when I was thinking about the show and couldn't come up with who was in seat #3.  It finally came to me--Ron Howard, who isn't exactly some obscure British person I've never heard of or anything.  And this got me to wishing I could sit in on the seating discussions.  Are they based on optics?  Star power?  Obviously they put costars together, and the Stephen Fry type person is usually on the end, but why?

Then again, just looking at this group, it seemed well balanced, and I don't think it would have benefited from any shuffling.

Aah, so much more goes into these shows than we'll ever know.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And I was loving her sneakers. 

Me too!  She is so much fun to watch.  I liked this episode a lot, it was closer to the vibe when they were all on the couch.  

• Love 3

It cracked me up to see how genuinely tickled Ron Howard seemed by Miriam.  And that Miriam was like - people know me because of your show Graham!  I mean, that’s mainly how I know her but I wouldn’t assume that was the case for everyone. 

• Love 7

It cracks me up that Ron Howard's voice still has the gee-whiz tone after all these years.

Miriam was right: Americans are afraid of fat and failure. 

I read a review of Gregory Porter's album recently (it was good), and I wondered if he'd show up on GNS. I always enjoy him.

Graham's reaction to the lady in the Big Red Chair was hilarious. He's rarely been so delighted!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, nokat said:

How could there be such a thing? I love her and her stories. She is one of my favorite guests. She's a delight.

Apparently the comments in this thread stuck with me:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/113697-s28e11-george-clooney-michael-sheen-david-tennant-viola-davis-vanessa-kirby-michael-ball-alfie-boe/?tab=comments#comment-6518207

But your opinion is the more prevalent one.

This was great. I like Miriam and find her stories hilarious, but I agree that she is somewhere near the line between funny/hilarious/awesome and vulgar/obnoxious/too much. For me she falls to the former category, but that is probably because she always seems so genuine and it is obvious that this is just who she is and she's not talking like this to be shocking on purpose. There are some other celebrities who are not that different from her but fall more into the latter category for me, so I understand that others might feel different about her.

Paul Rudd was also great and I enjoyed everyone's reactions to his simple "trick" with the photos.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

This was great. I like Miriam and find her stories hilarious, but I agree that she is somewhere near the line between funny/hilarious/awesome and vulgar/obnoxious/too much. For me she falls to the former category, but that is probably because she always seems so genuine and it is obvious that this is just who she is and she's not talking like this to be shocking on purpose. There are some other celebrities who are not that different from her but fall more into the latter category for me, so I understand that others might feel different about her.

Paul Rudd was also great and I enjoyed everyone's reactions to his simple "trick" with the photos.

Yes, Miriam is not for everyone, but I love her. She is who she is and isn't vulgar for points like some comedians are.

Paul Rudd, the ageless. That bit was hilarious and then he did the dangly bit seen through the butt cheeks. He had Graham laughing.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, nokat said:

How could there be such a thing? I love her and her stories. She is one of my favorite guests. She's a delight.

Absolutely! 

23 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'd say the show is back in full force, and I couldn't be happier. 

Me too.  Friday nights I watch GBBO, I save GNS for Saturday nights, so I have 2 nights of Brit civility and wit.

• Love 1