Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: The Journey of the Dangerous Mind

• Start Topic

As The Drew Crew investigates the Frozen Heart murders, sparks fly between Nancy and her counterpart in law enforcement on Nancy's first day as the Community Liaison - and Temperance makes a startling offer at the police station. Meanwhile, Carson and Ryan have conflicting opinions on how Nancy should be parented, a mishap tests Nick's and George's relationship, and Bess tries to protect Ace from a string of bad luck that may not be coincidental.

Original air date: October 15, 2021

I think we  figured out one if the prophecies: Bess fulfilling her destiny thanks to Temperance and delving into Dark Magic, which causes the others to fall.

Also, while Ace is still with Amanda, Agent and Nancy are a cute distraction, but i feel like there is something else going on with him.

What I appreciate about this show is their ability to give us different pairings throughout, like tonight with Ace x Nick, and Nick x Fan sisters.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Cheetara1986 said:

What I appreciate about this show is their ability to give us different pairings throughout, like tonight with Ace x Nick, and Nick x Fan sisters.

It's so stunning to me when I realize that Ace/Nick haven't really interacted that much just the two of them, but they really highlighted it in their first scene, with the slight awkwardness. But I'm all for them bonding more. 

I do like we're getting a hint toward Bess' prophecy with the "destined" line from Temperance. But I also think it could be a slight misdirect and she could actually be the "wreck havoc on the town" prophecy instead. Either way, Bess working with Temperance is going to cause more trouble than good. 

Carson/Ryan being dads together is so endearing to me. It's so interesting to see their different parenting styles, especially since Ryan is such a new father. He only found out about Nancy being his daughter less than two months ago, show-time, so he's still in a major adjustment period. I would so be down with this just being his and Carson's arc this season. 

I do like the new FBI Agent in town, but there's definitely more to his shaking hands than just adrenaline.

Good on Ace for kicking Bobbsey out of his car the moment he figured out he wasn't JUST out on good behaviour, but he really should have figured it out sooner. Asking to be picked up at night in a sketchy area? Nah, that's not it.

I actually really enjoyed the Fan sisters + Nick's plot. Nick figuring out how to fit in to George's sisters' lives while they tried to help George find her ring, only to have Charlie have it the whole time? It was a nice plot. It's nice to see a little more of George's sisters, especially Charlie who is used far less than the other two, and I loved the ending where they're bonding as a new family.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's so stunning to me when I realize that Ace/Nick haven't really interacted that much just the two of them, but they really highlighted it in their first scene, with the slight awkwardness. But I'm all for them bonding more. 

I do like we're getting a hint toward Bess' prophecy with the "destined" line from Temperance. But I also think it could be a slight misdirect and she could actually be the "wreck havoc on the town" prophecy instead. Either way, Bess working with Temperance is going to cause more trouble than good. 

Carson/Ryan being dads together is so endearing to me. It's so interesting to see their different parenting styles, especially since Ryan is such a new father. He only found out about Nancy being his daughter less than two months ago, show-time, so he's still in a major adjustment period. I would so be down with this just being his and Carson's arc this season. 

I do like the new FBI Agent in town, but there's definitely more to his shaking hands than just adrenaline.

Good on Ace for kicking Bobbsey out of his car the moment he figured out he wasn't JUST out on good behaviour, but he really should have figured it out sooner. Asking to be picked up at night in a sketchy area? Nah, that's not it.

I actually really enjoyed the Fan sisters + Nick's plot. Nick figuring out how to fit in to George's sisters' lives while they tried to help George find her ring, only to have Charlie have it the whole time? It was a nice plot. It's nice to see a little more of George's sisters, especially Charlie who is used far less than the other two, and I loved the ending where they're bonding as a new family.

With Ace, he is incredibly smart and resourceful, but not perfect and still have those lil stoner moments where he just doesnt see the obvious, especially when he wants to believe the good in his girlfriend's father. But, i do wonder...does Amanda know her father is doing this shit to Ace?

I noticed the shaky hands as well. Some think he could be a part of The Road Back which honestly could be more interesting then him just being a nice FBI agent.

1. So, Bess is definitely either the one who is fulfilling her destiny or the one wrecking havoc on the town, right? Either way, delighted to see her get a meaty storyline this season.

2. That said, hoping this does not lead to an army of undead zombie cats.

3.  (yes, I know saying undead and zombie is redundant but I don't really care)

4. Not feeling Park and Nancy as much as I'm meant to, I think, largely because for all his praise/thanking Nancy, he in some ways has been undercutting her more than Tamura and even McGinnis did. That tiny table was borderline insulting - not to mention dangerously petty for a position that the town council requested. 

The pettiness is particularly odd since the community liaison position wasn't created in reaction to him or for Nancy - it was in response to long standing public concerns about town safety, which we've seen voiced by any number of minor characters and Carson. And, honestly, having Nancy follow up on things like questionable trash practices isn't just potentially good for finding serial killers, but can also free up the cops to go do other things.

Park also not allowing Nancy to tag along after she brought him all that evidence - well, I get it, but since she does have an official position now, it wasn't great.

Add in that, like everyone else, I am not all that convinced that Park's hands were shaking because of adrenalin and....yeah, not feeling this as much as I'm meant to.

That said, even with all that, thus far Park is a decided improvement over Gil, so, yay for at least slightly upping your game, Nancy! 

5. Nick with George's sisters, AWWWW.  Also, glad to see the show addressing at least some of the lingering issues that George's sisters have.

6. Geesh, Daddy Bobbsey, demanding much? I mean, yes, this is your daughter's boyfriend, but a) Ace and Amanda really haven't been going out for all that long, meaning that even asking Ace for a ride is, well, something, let alone asking Ace to pick you up from a crime scene, and b) quite frankly, given your history, you should be trying to get on Amanda's good side and do things for her boyfriend, not the other way around. 

Also, what is it with the guy Bobbseys and always threatening people when they get told no. Not a good look, though I guess at least now we know where Gil Bobbsey gets his lack of charm and multiple issues from.

7. Loved the little conversation between Nancy and Bess just as Nancy was trying to break into the house. Heh.

8. Ryan, by now you really should realize that Nancy doesn't break into houses to investigate white collar crime.

9. Speaking of Ryan, anyone else wondering if one twist this season is going to be Ryan heading off to the local college? They seem to be leaving various hints in this direction?

10.  Carson, I get your worry about Nancy and I agree that with a serial killer around she should be a but I kinda think that tracking her movements is not the best long term move. 

Now watch the next episode prove me wrong, again!

• Love 5

Yep, Bess letting Temperance "give her advice" about magic and so forth will definitely play a part in whatever tarot card was referring to her.  Could be full-filling her destiny, wrecking havoc on the town, or maybe something completely different, but it's bound to be connected and I suspect it won't end well.  Especially since apparently zombie cats are involved...

Nancy certainly seems to attract the "older, but still attractive by television standards" men in law enforcement, huh?  Despite acting like he was annoyed with her antics,  Park definitely seems to be into her.  But while I don't think he's evil or anything, I suspect something is going on with him: especially the need to have Nancy point out that his hands were shaking.  There was no need to include that, so that will clearly be more than just him being hopped up on adrenaline.

Nancy and her Two Dads puts a pause on the sitcom-like antics and actually explores a more serious side in this new dynamic, which I enjoyed.  Ryan was definitely enjoying being the "cool dad" for a while, but he clearly is going to realize there is way more to parenting then just letting his child walk all over him.  I honestly don't think Nancy attends to be malicious with the way she hides things or tricks her dads; she likely really is convinced that she's protecting them; but that is something she is prone to do and they need to keep an eye on that.  Granted, Carson's method of tracking her phone opens up a whole other can of worms, but he's not completely wrong to be concerned when she gets into the thick of things.  Yeah, she might usually make it out in one piece, but it can get dicey.

Glad Ace quickly booted Daddy Bobbsey once he realized their trip was more than just "visiting old friends", but he definitely should take the "You will regret this!" threat seriously.   You can't underestimate a Stephen Lobo character!

Poor Nick probably thought for a second that all of the Fan kids just hated him for whatever reason, but he was obviously smart enough to figure out that George had actually lost her engagement ring and didn't want to help him, because she's stubborn like that.  I do hope she becomes more open with him going forward.  But the dinner scene at the end was a nice way to end things!

Loved seeing the coroner again!

It was fun seeing Nick and Ace working together.  They aren't paired off as much, but they make for an interesting (and fun!) duo.  Even when they aren't finding different ways to freeze hearts!

• Love 6

Bess wanting to put a protection smell on Ace to keep him safe from Daddy Bobbsey was sweet, even if it went poorly and it seems like Bess is going to get further into using magic with Temperance as her witch mentor. The "wrecking havoc on the town" thing seems like its pointing at Bess, but it could easily be a fake out. Even if it is a fake out though, this is certainly going to backfire on Bess, especially now that zombie cats are involved...

Another good episode, I always have such a spring in my step when this show is back on. I really liked getting a plot with Ace and Nick, they were really fun together, especially as they really don't interact just the two of them very much, this show does a great job at mixing and matching character interacts and all of the characters are so strong, it all works really well. 

I continue to adore watching Nancy and Her Two Dads, as this week takes a break from the sitcom-y hijinks to focus on the more serious side of things, as Ryan's "I'm not a regular dad, I'm a cool dad" style of parenting causes some conflict with Carson. I cant blame Ryan for wanting to do anything to be a dad to Nancy, he's still learning how to be a dad and its not like he has a lot of good role models when it comes to how he was raised, but hopefully this helps him realize that to be a good parent he cant be good cop all of the time. Especially with Nancy, who does have that tendency to run right into danger without backup or a plan, including lying to her friends and families so that they don't follow her. Its really because she thinks that either she can handle it or because she wants to protect them, but she really needs the reminder that it can be exhausting for other people who love and worry about her, especially her dads. I also like that, while Carson was not thrilled with Ryan for driving Nancy to another dangerous location because he wants to be the cool dad, he was also pretty understanding of why Ryan did it and still included him in the "you cant do this to us young lady" speech at the end. I do think that there is some kind of happy medium between following Nancy's phone around and driving her to the serial killers house. 

Nick and the Fan sisters was cute, I really liked him trying to figure out how he fits into their family, and I am glad that they focused more on Charlie, who is the least used of George's sisters. Of course he guessed on his own what was really going on, he knows George very well at this point and how stubborn she can be. 

I like the new FBI Agent and they are clearly setting up something with him and Nancy, especially while Ace is still with Amanda, but his shaking hands definitely makes me think there is something more up with him. 

Good on Ace for kicking Daddy Bobbsey out of his car as soon as he realized he was into something shady, its not surprising that Ace needed something really obvious to get him to see that he was bad news. Ace is a sweet guy who wants to see the best in people, and while he is a very intelligent person he can also be a bit spacy, so I can easily see him needing to really see that proof to see that this guy is using him for sketchy things. I would be worried about his "you'll be sorry", hopefully Bess gets that protection spell working.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

I don't like Bobbsey dad threatening Ace, but I'm glad he stood up to him. 

Bess, you cannot trust a 200-year-old witch. You just can't. 

Ok, Nancy you don't have to flirt with every new detective who comes to town. But when he pulled that trick using the table to protect them, I was kind of like "Okay, go for it."

Nancy saying "Goodnight, Dads" was adorable. I really do like the dynamic between the three of them. Really Ryan has rolled with the punches on this whole young adult daughter/coparenting scenario so much better than most would have and certainly better than I expected of him during season 1. And I'm happy for Riley Smith getting the chance to play a more nuanced character. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 1