Type keyword(s) to search

Outgrown - General Discussion

LittleIggy
  • Start Topic

A Boise Boys show! I liked the couple. I wish they had shown what was done in the basement for the little boys. I bet they don’t stay down there at night. BTW, I would love to see a reno show in which the designer had to use the homeowner’s furniture. No fancy staging with new stuff. I would allow some new accessories, but the designer would mainly have to make do with what was already there. I am evil! 😏

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

I really like "Outgrown".   The only real difference between this show and Boise Boys is they have a client they're working with, instead of just flipping houses.     The back story of the house on the first episode being built on a street that no longer exists, so the front of the house is in the back was bizarre.    I'm so glad they moved the entrance to the front.   I like how Luke explains why he picked the bathroom tile he choose, and the different factors he considered, and how he designs a house for specific clients.   I like the arched moldings to match the original house style.   I like the counters on the sides of the fireplace.    I like that they say how long the rebuild is taking.   So many other shows act like a complete remodel is so quick, but it isn't.  I love the parents' bedroom with the arched head board, the walk-in closet, and the en suite.  I hope they bought a good fireplace screen.      I love the remodeled house. 

I loved the riding with the kids. 

My suspicion on the previous show is that some of the wilder decorating choices were for the person who bought the house, and had already had it under contract, and was consulted on design. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I normally am not interested in reality tv kids, but I enjoy Luke's clan. We have a Down syndrome young adult in my family, so I appreciate that Luke and his wife have opened their home to so many children. Many of these kids have heart and other severe health conditions, and they would unquestionably die while languishing in orphanages that are understaffed, with minimal nutrition, and essentially warehouses.

Luke has a great design sense, but his feature walls annoy me. Just not my thing.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

BTW, I would love to see a reno show in which the designer had to use the homeowner’s furniture. No fancy staging with new stuff. I would allow some new accessories, but the designer would mainly have to make do with what was already there. I am evil! 😏

I love this idea so much!

I'm so happy they have a new show, and I like that they are working with clients this time.  This was a fun episode.  The cottage is cute, and I could see it being charming and adorable in the summer with flowers and plants.  Adding the front entrance is going to be life changing for their family! 

I really liked the bold countertop and the floor tiles in the bathroom.  I'm not sure that I would have paired those tiles with the bold wallpaper wall, though.  That felt like too much to me.  Having said that, for four years, I lived in a rental apartment with wallpaper on three bathroom walls with millions of teenytinylittlewhiteflowers crowded together on a blue background.  If you went in there after drinking, it felt like you had entered a fun house with the walls moving and and flowers spinning.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Did the upstairs bathroom (the one they already had) have a shower?  Or was it just a half bath? I liked the design, especially keeping the fireplace.  I don’t like when they get rid of every wall, to me that looks like an apartment.

• Love 2

I wasn't very impressed with the episode. I don't get why so much of the space and money went towards creating a main suite for the parents which will be used only at night and the kids' room(s?) were put in the dark basement. There wasn't even a door there. And image small kids having to go upstairs at night every time they need to go to the bathroom. Luke and Clint probably did what the parents wanted but it felt impractical to me.

If you create lovely spacious rooms for the kids, they'll play there once they're old enough and invite all their friends to your house without cluttering the living room with their toys. I would've kept the 1st floor bedroom for the parents and connected it to the bathroom, making it a private ensuite. Opened up the kitchen to a living and dining room. And than used the addition for two kids rooms and a smaller second bathroom. The basement could've been used for storage and a family room.

When I lived in Europe there was this show that was a bit like Extreme Home Makeover where they renovated the houses of families in need (mostly with health issues). The designer always created absolutely gorgeous kids rooms. I wish there was a HGTV show which puts more emphasis on fun rooms for kids.

• Love 2

I loved the makeover for the family on tonight's show.    The father is military, and often is deployed.  (Some military do deploy a lot, as in gone half of the year).      Luke put a lot of decor for the parents.      The tree house was adorable.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

The sad fact of Boise real estate is that the cost of housing there is rivaling California prices, and I bet the homeowners on this show are lucky to be able to do anything to the current houses, because buying a new house is out of their pocketbooks. 

So tonight the couple have three boys, and are moving into the husband's former family house.   The family rented the house for over 10 years, and are now moving into it.  It will be nice to have a place to have family gatherings again.  The main bathroom is off the kitchen, with hideous pink glitzy wallpaper in the bath.  Basement floor tile looks like asbestos to me.   I'm wondering if it has galvanized plumbing too. 

I love the lawn maintenance with the goats. 

They can stop with the manufactured drama, like Luke driving the bulldozer, and hitting things. 

I love the relationship between Clint and his three sons.   

So the house is mid-Century Modern, and the wife wants Country instead.      I love the exterior of the house.  I love the fireplace, and the entire wall.    I would have liked a much lighter back splash in the kitchen, I think the dark wall tile is too dark.  I love the basement family room with the basketball game for the kids.    

So tonight's new one is a woman who moved to Boise from San Diego, after her husband died.  I really like the kids, they really want their mother to be happy in the house.  This house is a downsize.   The Boise real estate market is just as pricey as California is now. 

The family bathroom is hysterically small, and badly designed.  Clint can sit on the toilet, and lean on the vanity top, and use his phone, and that's tiny.   I love Luke and Clint's redesign on the house.  I love that the hardwood floors were intact, and protected by the rugs, until they found out it transitioned to plywood.    I love that the daughter agreed that her room getting smaller to fit the dad's table in the dining room was worth it.  I love that the dining room will be enlarged to fit the dining table the husband built for his family.     

I like the way Clint and Luke say why they made the choices they do.  I love that they want to bring the family's pictures, and furniture back into the house.  

I usually don't like seeing the kids on a TV show, but I love Luke and his kids.   

I'm shocked, I actually like the wallpaper they're putting in the daughter's room.   I like it vertically though, not horizontally.   

I love everything about the house, inside and outside.   I love the big bookcase Clint built for the family books, and photos. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love everything about the house, inside and outside.   I love the big bookcase Clint built for the family books, and photos. 

Really lovely family. I agree with everything you said. When they all sat around the beautiful table the late husband built I got teary. When the mom hugged Clint after seeing her room and the wedding photo on her desk and he teared up I surprised myself and actually cried a little.

I have only one tiny quibble... when the family sat on that nice comfy sectional and said they'd "nest" there to watch movies together I looked really close and didn't see a television.

Maybe the family didn't ship a TV with them, since it would have to be stored.   I don't ship TVs, I'm guessing the move would be hard on them. 

I'm guessing that they would get a TV, and then have a wall mount, and they were waiting until the house was finished to have it installed.   

I'm so glad that Clint's son is starting medical school.    I didn't realize Clint was the runner up on a season of The Apprentice. 

Tonight's new episode, "A Safe Place to Land", with a divorced couple with three kids, and trying to stay friends.   I love Mid Century Modern, and that's what the woman bought, with room for the ex-husband to stay when he visits.   I love the lot, the trees, and the huge living room fireplace is amazing.   The two sons are starting college now, but the daughter will be home for a few more years.   Making a studio for the artist daughter will be so wonderful. 

I totally hate the old gold carpet though.  I think the carpet looks disgusting, and it turned out to smell worse than it looks.     Unfortunately, the house is full of asbestos.   Then, the homeowner wants the fireplace gone reduced a lot, and it looks so much smaller.    The floor isn't structurally sound either in one portion, but they supported it from underneath.       The after of the house is spectacular.   The homeowner's suite is amazing, and the daughter's bedroom and studio is wonderful.    The ex-husband mentions it took six to eight months to do the remodel. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I like the couple, and their kids on the show tonight. "A Welcome Addition".    The house was so much better after they put the second story on it.  Adding the half bath on the first floor was so necessary.    I love that the kids have new bedrooms, and the play room.    I love the new main bedroom, and their attached bathroom, and their closet.   Luke and Clint certainly added a lot of storage throughout the house.   

How amazing for Luke and his wife to have two biological kids, adopt the other five, and then have another baby.    

I love the couple on tonight's show "Attic Treasure", I like that for once there will be a suite, big closet, and bath in the attic.     The idea that some of the other homes this season still have one bath, and have two or three floors is odd to me.      My question is if the historic association regs are so strict, then how can they change the exterior paint from the original brown, to that green?   The house remodel is spectacular, but I'm not sure I like the exterior color. 

I like the attic suite, except I would have made the vanity top as wide as possible.   Also, where do they hang things in the closet?   Or are they putting in more hanging rails after the filming wraps?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I thought last night’s house was beautiful, but I didn’t understand that closet…it looked like there was only about 3 feet of hanging space.  I know they had to work with what was there, but it seemed impractical.  And they still didn’t have a whole lot of storage in the kitchen, although it was beautiful.

One thing I noticed on this show is that they don’t give the budget, unless I missed it?  I like Farmhouse Fixer (Jon Knight’s show), because at least they give realistic budgets, not like some of the other shows where they do the entire house for $50,000.

And for once the house wasn’t black, with all black and wood inside!

• Love 1

Tonight's new episode, "Layout Disfunction" with Kelsey & Cody Givens and their two kids.    Perfect location, I can see why they don't want to move.    From the house you can walk to the river, the sports stadium, downtown.   The episode title is right, the layout of the house is horrible.

I love the leaded glass doors for the pantry.  I love that Clint and Luke try to stay true to the era of the house.   I love how the kitchen turned out.  

I had to laugh when Luke told his son Elias that he would need to change diapers, the look on Elias' face was so cute. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This show was on my cable guide to show tonight at 7 p.m. Central, but it's not on.   So I finally found it on HGTV, and it's not back until 4 December with new episodes. 

It was on my guide to begin at 8pm Eastern and I didn't realize it wasn't on until I noticed that the DVR wasn't recording it. Thanks for solving the mystery!

I was disappointed it wasn't on.    My cable guide still showed it as playing tonight, and I glanced at the channel and thought I screwed up, then checked HGTV.     

They also didn't run the marathon Monday morning.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

My cable guide says Outgrown, episode 6, which is new, is running this Saturday evening, 4 December on HGTV.    I've really enjoyed this show, and hearing how they design and do the remodeling.     

This was scheduled, for 4 December, but is no longer on the guide.    So, I guess they won't be showing this again. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Outgrown, Episode 6, Family Farmhouse is running tonight, 10 to 11 p.m. Central.    I just happened to run across this by chance.  

Episode 10, Change the House, Not the Table is supposed to run next Saturday the 18th, also at 10 p.m. Central. 

Wonder what happened to episodes 7, 8, and 9?  OK, doing more research 7, 8 and 9 already were on TV, the people who adopted a child, the attic main suite episode, and the people who bought his childhood home.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama