Type keyword(s) to search

Super Wish Lists: What Would You Like To See The Show Do?

• Start Topic

I think Superman & Lois has had one of the most successful first seasons of a comic book show, period. But that doesn't mean that there's a lot of things to build on? What sorts of changes would you like to see happen in the next season and beyond?

Here's my starting list, in no particular order:

1. A little more thought and research into some basic things. For example, the way the show approached football was cringe-filled. 

2. More worldbuilding, particularly for Smallville itself. This is the place that Clark grew up, where everyone knew him, and where he knew everyone. It would be great for the show to do more with recurring characters like the mayor and to add people that he knew beyond Lana and Kyle. Play around more with the notion that Clark was meant to come back to Smallville to save it.

3. Explore mental health issues more. One of the most powerful moments of the season was Lois processing the miscarriage she had in relation to what it meant to almost lose Jonathan. There has been so many mental health issues that have been largely left on the wayside -- Clark and the rest of the family's loss of Martha. Jordan's original mental health issues, which have basically disappeared. Jordan and Jonathan's adjustment to knowing the secret. The multiple near-death experiences each of the family has had. Jonathan's being overlooked/jealousy about not having powers. I would love it if there was a therapist character we saw periodically helping the Kents deal with the full range of issues they have (which means someone they can trust with the secret).

4. More of the kids' non-super lives. It would be great to introduce some recurring characters and things in their lives beyond football and drinking. It would also be great if at some point Lois and Clark addressed the fact that their 14-year-olds have been at parties drinking (or trying to) several times that they should know of -- the time when Jordan's heat vision first was sparked, the time when they snuck out to go to the liquor store after the Metropolis game, the time that they ignored repeated calls from Sam to hang out at a party. Even more so than typical teens, for them to be hanging out drinking is literally dangerous because Jordan could lose control of his powers, and because drinking could make them oblivious to threats.

5. I would like to see Clark and Lois try to give the kids the birds and the bees talk. Something amusing to me about a guy who faces intergalactic dictators being uncomfortable with talking about sex.

6. Ties to the rest of the Arrowverse more firmly re-established. Other than the visit from Diggle, there was little to indicate that this had anything to do with the rest of the Arrowverse. Please acknowledge at minimum the existence of Kara, Jimmy, the Daily Planet crew, Lucy Lane along with other heroes and villains. I appreciate the show can't get all the actors back all the time, but still.

7. More balance with Jonathan and Jordan. And this may be super-superficial, but I would love it if Jordan got a haircut.

8. I think that there should be some exploration of how Metropolis has taken a hit from Lois and Clark not being there very much. 

9. It's going to be hard to top Edge and a Kryptonian army for a big bad. I almost hope that they go the reverse and have someone who's more of a moral threat like Luthor emerge.

10. I would like the show to find a happy medium where it does address some political issues like immigration, racism, sexism, classism, etc. in a way more meaningful and skillfully than its counterpart Arrowverse shows do. It's not enough for Kyle to occasionally call Sarah "mija.," for example. He is a Latino man and I would like to see some more exploration of the ramifications of that. I have confidence that the S&L can handle such things without getting too preachy, anvilicious, etc. and I think it would be interesting to see Lois and Clark even have different perspectives on various topics, like with Clark seeing people as people and thinking the best of them, and Lois being more pessimistic and remembering seeing people at their not-so-best. 

• Love 2

I’d love a flashback episode that is on a par with this season’s “A Brief Reminiscence...”.

Can one of the Cushings please find out the Kent family secret (that is, if they don’t in the finale)?

Just for me, can we have a nod to the Superman and Lois flight in the original movie - I don’t think we’ve seen Lois fly, other than the kiss flashback scene?  Oh, and get Jon up there too with his Dad, separately?

Call me twisted, but I’d like to see Lois in real, life-threatening danger, and the angst that comes from it for the Kent men.

• Love 1

More "young" Lois/Clark flashbacks

Do their own Cadmus arc that reflects more of STAS/JLU.

Introduce Galatea and turn her into Power Girl aka E2 Kara aka Karen

Introduce E1 Natasha Irons played by E___ Natalie Irons and have John cope with that difference.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

6. Ties to the rest of the Arrowverse more firmly re-established. Other than the visit from Diggle, there was little to indicate that this had anything to do with the rest of the Arrowverse. Please acknowledge at minimum the existence of Kara, Jimmy, the Daily Planet crew, Lucy Lane along with other heroes and villains. I appreciate the show can't get all the actors back all the time, but still.

THIS.  Especially where Kara, Jimmy, and Lucy are concerned. And for that matter, why has there been no mention of Lois's mother, Ella Lane? Are we meant to infer that Sam raised Lois (and Lucy) as a single parent? Plus, Kal has other living relatives besides Kara and Edge. He also has his Uncle Zor-El and his Aunt Alura, as well as the entire population of Argo City. And while I could do without seeing Lex Luthor for a good long while (like everyone else, I kind of got burned out on him on Supergirl), I wouldn't mind seeing Lena and J'onn Jonzz pop up every now and then!

I would agree the show needs more of a tie, if even only passing references, to the other series in the 'verse.

It's probably past time Lana learn Clark's secret, and so too her family.

Give Jonathan Kent a real role, something of his own. We've had an entire season of taking away from Jon, but giving absolutely nothing in return. He's supposed to be one of the four leads, and thus far his only claim to fame is being the other one standing around with no powers and offering up stock platitudes of support to everyone else in his family.

1. First and farmost, I want the Cushing family to know about the Kent family secret as soon as possible. I'm not a fan of this secret being kept from all of them, or even just one of them, for several seasons. Let them be in the know, because enriching stories can come out of them being aware of Clark and the boys being Kryptonians, especially Lana and Sarah.
    • Lana learning the secret means that she would have to start thinking about all the stuff with Clark since they were younger and the reasons for him leaving. I think it would change her perspective immensely and I think she might even start to question him and why he never told her. It would be an interesting conflict because, though his choice to not tell her is noble, I think she'd really start to question how much he trusted her if he never told her all of these years
    • As for Sarah, I think she might be conflicted because she had given Jordan so many chances to tell her the truth after her suspicions and, especially as a teenager and what she went through with her parents this season, she might feel like any trust they had was broken. Maybe overdramatic, but she's a teenager. She could also be more fine with the idea because of the hints that something wasn't right, as well as the fact that she was told that Jordan might have done something to Tag. I think the thought would be at the back of her mind.
    • Kyle, I think, would be the one totally fine with the Kents having kept this secret. With everything he went through when he was possessed by a Kryptonian, he'd very likely the reasons and be more willing to forgive and move past it.
  2. I want to see more personal development from the boys.
    • I want to see Jordan learn how his powers work and how to use them, because as of right now, he's getting powers but only learning how to not lose control in public, rather than learning how to use his powers. And I'd also like to hear his thoughts about him having powers, his struggle with maintaining a normal life, and also talk about his mental health issues in relation to his new powers. They've forgotten to show and not tell about his mental health so I want a focus on that next season.
    • I want to see Jonathan not be JUST the supportive Kent in the family. Instead of him being the support system for his family while occasionally getting to express his feelings, I want to see him really figure out his place and get to express his emotions while others are there for him.
  3. I also want to see the boys have more of a social life. Jonathan has no friends besides Sarah and the football team, and now Tegan, so I want to see him really bond more with others his age. I also want to see Jordan make some new friends outside of football. Not that I want this show to turn into a teen drama (I'm sure that'll happen in a future season at some point) but the boys haven't really been going to school and are continuing to just go to parties without much substance on building friendships. 
  4. I'd like to hear mentions of Kara and the rest of the Arrowverse. We've gotten a bit here and there, but the show has chosen to ignore Kara being in Clark's life and I'd love to see her make an appearance for fun, even if it's just through a phone call.
  5. I'd love to see the family take up more presence in the town of Smallville. They put most of the Smallville stuff on the backburner in favour of Morgan Edge, and they've shown that the town needs to be rebuilt in some ways, so I'd love to see the adults take that on.
  6. I'd love to see Lana run for mayor. The current mayor obviously sucks and I think Lana would do a fabulous job. It would also give her a great plot on her reconnecting with the place she's grown up in.
  7. I want the boys to learn more about their Kryptonian heritage. Take Jordan AND Jonathan up to the Fortress for an episode, get a backstory. I'm fine with more flashbacks, I really am. 
  8. And yes, more Kent flashbacks, BUT also some Cushing flashbacks. 
  9. The big issue is them burning through some excellent villains this season so I hope they have a really good villain next season. I loved the connection with Clark and Lois with Morgan Edge and I hope that both Clark and Lois continue to get to fight their own antagonists.
  10. I'd love to see James Olsen also make an appearance. 
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:
  • I'd like to hear mentions of Kara and the rest of the Arrowverse. We've gotten a bit here and there, but the show has chosen to ignore Kara being in Clark's life and I'd love to see her make an appearance for fun, even if it's just through a phone call.

I've been saying all season long that the  boys need to meet their first cousin once removed Kara and her adoptive sister Alex Danvers. Kara knows what it's like to have to learn to control and use her powers, so she'd be a fantastic mentor for Jordan, including his mental and emotional adjustments to having powers. And Alex knows what Jonathan is going through growing up in the shadow of super-beings and being relegated to a minor supporting role who mostly gets ignored and forced to put so many of his own needs and desires on hold. She could actually teach the boys a lot about how to have a healthy, supportive sibling relationship while still keeping themselves and their family safe.

• Love 1

This is a bit random, but I need to vent. I really wish the show would acknowledge Jonathan as Clark’s son genetically, instead of giving all the Krypton connections to Jordan alone. I just keep seeing Tumblr posts and the like drawing parallels between Jordan and all these other iterations of Superman/Superman’s son in comics and movies, and it’s starting to irritate me a little. Clark has TWO kids in this story, not just one! I get what the show is going for with the “one takes after mom, one takes after dad” approach, but seriously, they’ve anvilled it home enough. The (mostly unseen) backstory of Clark spending more time with Jonathan previously because Jonathan was athletic is weak sauce. Show me, Show, that Jonathan is also the son of Kal-El!

Sorry. Just needed to get that off my chest before the new season starts.

• Love 2