Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Shame

• Start Topic

I liked the general theme of this episode, how it is important to let go of all of those devastating feelings like shame, self-judgement and also judgement of other people. We are often too harsh on ourselves, especially if it comes to what is less socially acceptable, even if we know that we are in the right. I liked that in the end, everyone was supportive, be it Malika's friends, or everyone about the pregnancy. Davia was initially getting on my nerves (like she often does) with her passive-aggresiveness, but I am glad that she sorted it out with both Dennis and Gael.

On a shallow note, I was always rolling my eyes at Callies heels, so I had to laugh a bit about her stumbling in the woods. But Kathleen should have informed her beforehand where they were going for the day, so that she could dress properly. I was also not a fan of Marianna's attitude of "I like to dress fancy, but I had to wear a hoodie to a job interview in order to be taken seriously." WTF? Does anyone wear that to an interview to a corporate job? I know some people who would probably dismiss a candidate who came to an interview dressed like that. I also don't think that Marianna and Callie working together is a good idea. And I am calling it now, she is going to hook up with the straight colleague that was interested in Callie.

I liked how Alice's group apologized to her and that they seemed to finally enjoy themselves writing their own material. Scott returning was obnoxious, especially how he seems to "get it" now after a one day training, but I guess it is realistic. I am interested in how that storyline unfolds.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

On a shallow note, I was always rolling my eyes at Callies heels

It is not only the heels. I roll my eyes as how she dresses for work when she is not appearing in court. I know a few attorneys who make starving wages because they are just starting - some of then are not just starting, but they are public defenders, or work as disability rights attorneys - and if they don't have to appear in court they don't dress up at all. And they usually have only one or two outfits for court days. This is one of the most unrealistic things about TV. It is the outdated perception that if you graduate as an attorney or a doctor, you completely change how you dress overnight, and that makes you so much better. Laughable, really.

• Love 4

Callie's coworkers are acting a lot like the fratty guys at Spekulate. If they had been asked to be counsel to the boss, surely they would have taken it. Hazing Callie for the same thing instead of asking themselves why they weren't the choice, to me shows they aren't qualified. And Mariana immediately joining in on teasing her? New Mariana hasn't grown up much, if at all.

Did Alice seriously agree to "smooth things over" to save her ex's job? 

They're trying to fix the mess they made of Malika's story, but I'm not sold yet. 

I don't really understand the business about the rock, and where it landed, being relevant to the "murder? or accident?" case. Presumably, the rock could have landed anywhere, whether it was thrown or whether the guy fell. It's a really thin defense. But without witnesses or really any evidence, it seems to me that the entire case is complete speculation.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Did Alice seriously agree to "smooth things over" to save her ex's job? 

I thought that they were implying that now that Alice was invited back to the group, they might be getting back together.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I don't really understand the business about the rock, and where it landed, being relevant to the "murder? or accident?" case. Presumably, the rock could have landed anywhere, whether it was thrown or whether the guy fell. It's a really thin defense. But without witnesses or really any evidence, it seems to me that the entire case is complete speculation.

I can't really understand that whole case to be honest and it feels a bit detached from the rest of the storylines for me, because criminal drama is such a different genre than this show.

Also, I am not sure about Callie being a defence attorney in a murder case, especially in a case like this when she doesn't know that the client is innocent. I understand that it might be good for her to gain all sorts of experiences and I get that everyone, even a guilty person, is entitled to a defence to the best of the attorney's abilities, but I for example can not imagine ever representing a client that is guilty and I have a feeling that Callie is similar in that regard. That is not meant to criticise her, I have a lot of admiration for her and how she always stands by her values (the only exception was the case against Jamie's firm when she went through his papers), I just think that it might be something that she will struggle with. I think that her previous job was much more suitable for her, it seemed to be exactly why she wanted to study law, to help people that need good legal representation and can't afford it. The first few cases with Kathleen also seemed to fit, but if I understand correctly, those were just some aside pro bono cases and Kathleen will mostly do cases like this one. 

Did Gael seriously think that his Woke Ultra Feminist, Having Sex on the First Date friends would shame him for getting a woman pregnant? Did he think he was on 7th Heaven or some other show? So ridiculous.

12 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I can't really understand that whole case to be honest and it feels a bit detached from the rest of the storylines for me, because criminal drama is such a different genre than this show.

Also, I am not sure about Callie being a defence attorney in a murder case, especially in a case like this when she doesn't know that the client is innocent. I understand that it might be good for her to gain all sorts of experiences and I get that everyone, even a guilty person, is entitled to a defence to the best of the attorney's abilities, but I for example can not imagine ever representing a client that is guilty and I have a feeling that Callie is similar in that regard

The whole "where is the rock and did he hit it" scenario seems far fetched to me. As my University of Court Shows tells me, the prosecution has the burden of proof, so the defense can claim that the victim was pushed, fell and hit his head on the rock that has his blood. With good manipulative skills, the defense can cast doubt in a juror or two. That's all they need because the prosecution needs to prove "without reasonable doubt". They don't have to prove how it might have happened with a dummy.

As for Callie not knowing, in general, attorneys don't really care about the client's guilt or innocence. Most cases are settled - and that's one reason why the system is unjust and most prisoners are poor and people of color. Attorneys (sometimes) try to get the best deal. I agree that this is not what Callie would like to be doing but I am not sold on her ability to be a lawyer either.

Malika saying that she "came out as poly" was a stretch. She was about to have her first experience, she was curious, questioning, willing. The way she said was dismissive of Isaac, and ignored how badly she  dealt with the situation. Not impressed.

And here is to another missed opportunity for the writers to at least acknowledge that unprotected sex with multiple partners should be condemned. A line about that in Gael's little imagined response from the other residents would have been nice. Another episode and this is not addressed. Boo!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I thought that they were implying that now that Alice was invited back to the group, they might be getting back together.

21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Damn. I hope not. I was so proud of her for having some self-respect and saying no. But they are also implying that Dennis telling people his son died is a huge step towards "being ready" and I'm sick of that degrading "romance" too.

• Love 1

I love how Mariana's nerd disguise is a pair of classes, a hoodie, and a retro Doctor Who shirt, like she's a superhero trying to stay undercover before she gets her costume on. I do not see her working with Callie ending well, especially with Callie's co-workers being all petty and mean to her now. Everyone on this show has the worst luck with co-workers and bosses, that or they end up sleeping with them. Its all love interests and villains in every job these people end up at. Or both. 

I would think Gael would be worried about being judged for not just wearing a stupid condom or asking if Isabella was on birth control, not having sex with this wild card no one likes or having a kid out of wedlock despite him not having his life together. No one there is going to care about that. Come on, there are a million kinds of birth control and the two of them are clearly having a ton of sex, just have the two second semi awkward talk before you start getting down. 

Now I guess Malika will end up with the other guy now that Isaac left, which it seems is kind of what she wanted. This is a really lame way of exploring polyamory, I don't blame Isaac for wanting to get out of town and away from this drama that Malika dropped on his lap. For a show that so loves exploring different orientations and kinds of relationships, they are not impressing me with how this is being handled. 

I am glad that Dennis finally told everyone about his son. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/22/2021 at 6:55 AM, JustHereForFood said:

On a shallow note, I was always rolling my eyes at Callies heels, so I had to laugh a bit about her stumbling in the woods. But Kathleen should have informed her beforehand where they were going for the day, so that she could dress properly. I was also not a fan of Marianna's attitude of "I like to dress fancy, but I had to wear a hoodie to a job interview in order to be taken seriously." WTF? Does anyone wear that to an interview to a corporate job? I know some people who would probably dismiss a candidate who came to an interview dressed like that. I also don't think that Marianna and Callie working together is a good idea. And I am calling it now, she is going to hook up with the straight colleague that was interested in Callie.

Just because Mariana was encouraged to dress down at her last job doesn't mean she had to do that at her new one. I was annoyed that she didn't even try working at the new place before dismissing it as just as sexist as Speculate. I mean, all HR people are going to give the same kind of speech, you won't know what it's like until you start. It is possible it'll be better.

Also, there is a big range between super girly fashiony clothes and a hoodie. 

Callie and Marianna working together is not going to go well. And Marianna is going to get bored just answering phones.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:28 PM, possibilities said:

I think it is just about throwing out some reasonable doubt. I guess if they have a video of someone falling on a rock it is easier to make people doubt? But unless that dummy weighs the same thing as the dead guy I am not sure how it's relevant. Especially since the lawyers are throwing the dummy down the cliff. 

But if the guy really did fall and there is no other killer to catch, what other defense is there?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2
On 7/23/2021 at 7:26 PM, KaveDweller said:

And Marianna is going to get bored just answering phones

If they keep her in that office she will end up messing up cases, releasing information she is not supposed to, violating client confidentiality and a list of other things that are as annoying.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:26 PM, KaveDweller said:

I think it is just about throwing out some reasonable doubt. I guess if they have a video of someone falling on a rock it is easier to make people doubt? But unless that dummy weighs the same thing as the dead guy I am not sure how it's relevant. Especially since the lawyers are throwing the dummy down the cliff. 

Yes, it is reasonable doubt but why the need to film? As you pointed out, the dummy would have to be the same wight, but also the person supposedly pushing the victim would have to be applying the exact same force, so just talking about the possibility would be enough. That was just filling because they needed Callie to need new shoes, so Mariana would have to go to the office and find a job. 

• Love 2